What ended it?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sage.

Champion
Reaction score
I was unfortunately not a week-by-week watcher of WWE back when Attitude Era was alive and well, why did the era itself end?

I heard it's because of Linda McMahon and her wanting to be a senate.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Don't personally know myself, but I read this:

There is not "exact" end, but for the most part it had started to decline by the time WWF purchased WCW in 2001, allowing WWF to focus back on expanding its product rather than competing on TV for ratings against rival companies. By 2002, with the lawsuit from the World Wildlife Foundation, Vince McMahon almost completely re-branded the company under the WWE moniker, using the new catchphrase "Get the 'F' Out" to signify a new era of sports entertainment, drawing a close to the so-called Third Era of professional wrestling.

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
WWF was forced to be renamed due to the World Wildlife Fund, a charity will never lose rights to a name, especially to wrestling entertainment company.
I'm not sure though when the Attitude Era was finished, I just gave up when Kane lost to HHH and had to remove his mask. It was around then that things were going downhill anyway.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Personally I feel it was because WCW was purchased by WWE. Ratings war ended, they then spent more time developing WWE as a company than concentrating on those epic Raw is War shows.

leojay

Champion
Reaction score
Crayo said:
Personally I feel it was because WCW was purchased by WWE. Ratings war ended, they then spent more time developing WWE as a company than concentrating on those epic Raw is War shows.

Pretty much this. After the purchase they slowly turned it down as they didn't need to be over the top for ratings anymore. I don't know why though, as ever since they have they've been in a downfall, both quality wise and rating wise.

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
The WCW vs WWF build-up before the 6-a-side match was really good imo. Some great matches came from that.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Let me clear all of this for some people.

The self proclaimed "Attitude Era" was presented by Vince Russo that would use explicit content to win over the war between them and WCW. Vince had to take the risk or else they would go out of business. It was very risky because they're sponsors would leave them but it was the only risk he had to take.

By creating the Attitude Era they had the rival team of the nWo, D-Genertation X. They had profanity and had hardcore matches, Sexuality content and the SOB character Vs. Boss storylines. Most of the Attitude Era's credit should be given to ECW because without them, it wasn't possible.

So when the war ended between WCW and WWF, their was no need for giving content that was not needed. So they went from the Attitude Era to the Ruthless Aggression Era.

So pretty much when WCW ended, so did the Attitude.

Now when people keep on saying "BRING BACK THE ATTITUDE!" I find it stupid because their is no need for it at this point. Who is there competition? TNA? I don't think so. They have so many sponsorships and I doubt they would like to give that up. The reason Wrestling isn't as good as it used to be is because of crappy storylines. Sure blood should be used at some points but it's not needed every show.

Sage.

Champion
Reaction score
Yeah agreed. I wish there was some massive competition at times though, I reckon we'd see a much better product.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Maybe if someone wanted to invest in creating a Wrestling Company and got WWE's biggest stars, John Cena and Randy Orton with a high pay check and a huge arena. Than we would have Monday Night Wars 3? Nah Monday Night Wars 2, TNA doesn't count.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
CM Punk said:
Maybe if someone wanted to invest in creating a Wrestling Company and got WWE's biggest stars, John Cena and Randy Orton with a high pay check and a huge arena. Than we would have Monday Night Wars 3? Nah Monday Night Wars 2, TNA doesn't count.

I'm not sure even that would work in this era. I mean TNA took Hardy, who was a huge draw and still haven't grown. The thing that made WCW blow up wasn't the signings per say but the fact many people believed the WWF was going to invade. Plus there was the mysterious third man which would have got out with the Dirtsheets.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
seabs said:
I'm not sure even that would work in this era. I mean TNA took Hardy, who was a huge draw and still haven't grown. The thing that made WCW blow up wasn't the signings per say but the fact many people believed the WWF was going to invade. Plus there was the mysterious third man which would have got out with the Dirtsheets.
Well, I didn't exactly say TNA. Say if someone started a company called AWF?
They had billions of dollars and they got stars from WWE like John Cena and Randy Orton aka Hulk Hogan and Macho Man Randy Savage. The audience would follow them. WCW took WWF's biggest stars and became as bigger than WWE. Say they also hired Eric Bischoff, I'm pretty sure he would steal someone's idea and do it on AWF so WWE's audience would get invested. Now look John Cena is a spokesman for Gillette and now it would also be a part of AWF. Just a fantasy that we will probably never see.

Sage.

Champion
Reaction score
Most of the big stars in WWE are incredibly loyal now. Orton and Cena, absolutely love this business and more specifically the WWE. Perhaps a Batista maybe, but they wouldn't get close to WWE.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Sage said:
Most of the big stars in WWE are incredibly loyal now. Orton and Cena, absolutely love this business and more specifically the WWE. Perhaps a Batista maybe, but they wouldn't get close to WWE.

This.

Fantasy indeed, would love it though.