Wardlow talks about his past drug and alcohol issues, plans to become a mainstream star

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
AEW star Wardlow was interviewed on "The Extreme Life of Matt Hardy" podcast this week.

Wardlow said he was a huge fan of The Hardys while growing up as a kid:

“He and his brother are probably two of the biggest reasons I'm sitting here today. I was so inspired by Matt and Jeff Hardy. I mean, obsessed. I have books, still, of every magazine that they were in. I would cut pictures of you guys out and I made a collage when I was a kid. I have art pictures painted and drawn of them. I mean, I was obsessed with the Hardy Boys. They were the reason I woke up happy. They were the reason I went to school because during breaks, I could go on the computer and look up pictures and videos. They were the reason I was excited to get home so I could get on my trampoline or my neighbor's trampoline, because I couldn't afford one. Thank God my neighbor let me and my friends jump on their trampoline so I can practice doing swanton bombs. I would go home and play with my action figures then play video games. I mean, the Hardy Boys were such a big part of my life. I've always said professional wrestlers have taught me the two most important lessons in life. 'Don't trust anybody', Stone Cold, and Matt Hardy, 'To achieve you have to believe.'”

Wardlow talking about his past drug and alcohol issues and now being clean and working in the same company as The Hardys:

"That still is mind blowing to me. I mean, how much wrestling I watched growing up and how much I obsessed with it, and how far off track I got after high school, and for a while seemingly ruined my life and my dreams. I mean, I went down a really bad path for a while with drugs and alcohol and depression and sort of finally make it into finally being in this company, not AEW company, but the company of the likes of Matt and Jeff. It is a beautiful thing. It's overwhelming. It's overwhelming on a daily basis, how much damage I did to my life and to be able to get it all back and fight for it back and be here and be sitting next to this man.”

Wardlow said he would like to get a movie role so he can be a mainstream star and making wrestling cool again:

"That's something I've really thought about recently is like something to pitch to Tony. Rather than pitching, 'Hey, I have this wrestling idea’, but rather, 'Would it be beneficial for me to get like a movie or a TV role?' I want AEW to be successful, so if I am able to do a movie role, which would just be another dream come true for me, it can be also beneficial to this company and get a whole new set of eyes on us."

"I said this from day one. One of my main goals in pro wrestling was to make wrestling cool again, or to be one of the people that helped make wrestling cool again. Growing up, everybody was talking about pro wrestling. Adults were coming over. We were having full blown pay-per-view parties. Kids at school we're talking about it. Teachers we're talking about it. Pro wrestling was cool. It was part of the mainstream media. I want to get back to that. I want kids to think it's cool again and to know it's cool. I want kids to be talking about it at school. I want kids to be inspired by me. I want wrestling to be the Rock Star show it once was and I truly believe that if I could go and it pull some some other people from different audiences to us, I truly feel I'm capable of doing that. I truly feel like I am the guy to do it. So yeah, maybe that's the conversation I need to have with Tony.”

If you use any portion of the quotes from this article please credit AdFreeShows.com with a h/t to WrestlingNews.co for the transcription.

Daddy Dom

Big D Energy
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Good on Wardlow more I hear bout the guy the bigger fan I am becoming

Y2Jayne

2 levels above, 2 steps ahead
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
LBaYVuW
Favorite Wrestler
ToxicA
Getting off the juice is so damn hard, props to him. I'm glad he's so over.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Being a Hardy fan leads kids into drug and alcohol abuse confirmed.