Wanderlei Silva Pegs 'Shogun' Rua As Man To Defeat Jon Jones

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Wanderlei Silva has seen some of the best MMA fighters in the last 10-plus years come and go, and "The Axe Murderer" knows just the man to defeat the seemingly unstoppable force that is Jon Jones. "Bones" is the current UFC light heavyweight champion, and is coming off a year in which he defeated three former UFC champs.

Silva, in an interview with Sherdog.com recently, pegged one of those ex-champs as the man to defeat Jones in Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. Jones took the title off of Rua back in March via third round TKO.

"'Shogun' is the most talented guy I've ever seen," Silva said. "I was watching video of the Pride 'Shogun' and saw a strong 'Shogun.' Under these conditions, he can defeat Jones. He's the guy to beat the champion, but he has to be 100 percent."

When Rua defended his title against Jones, he was coming off an extended layoff and looked rusty from the opening bell. "Shogun" has since went 1-1, defeating Forrest Griffin and falling to Dan Henderson by decision.

Would be a really good fight, but at this point it seems almost crazy to think that anybody could really beat Jones. I get that Rua wasn't 100% or whatever when they fought for the title in their first fight but still don't know if the end result would be different in another fight where Shogun is all their.

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I think Jones would still probably win but against a Rua that is at 100%... there is no way it would be as one sided as their fight was. Rua is immensely talented and very durable. His fight with Hendo is testament to his durability. His fight with Forrest shows that at 100% he can and will finish you quickly.

Jones just has so much more talent in him that nobody has seen yet. Jones would still be the victor but it would be a closer contest. I think he would hold the best chance. The only other guys would be Hendo and Evans. Hendo cause he got wrestling down real good, specially the greco roman which is where Jones shines... but Hendo's is better. Plus Hendo is extremely durable and can deliver a vicious right hand if he is able to get inside.

Evans has crazy good wrestling and can KO someone with his hands. He can get in and out real quick. But... I would peg him... under Hendo. So... Hendo, Evans, Shogun. After those three... I don't see anybody in that division that could stop Jones.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I still don't think that Shogun will be able to defeat Jones. I doubt that Shogun will be able to get back to the level that he had back in Pride since that was a long time ago and so I can't see him beating Jones. He will need a couple of wins to even get a title shot since a couple of other guys are already ahead of him.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I don't think he can beat Jones, but of course with the unpredictability of the UFC you never know really.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Everytime hes lost its been "oh Shogun wasnt 100%".

They used it when he lost to Griffin, Machida (1) and now Jones.

Maybe he just isnt that guy.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Well the first Griffin fight... he wasn't. And when he lost to Machida... him not being 100% wasn't the reason. It was bad judging which is what near everybody was thinking after the fight which was why the rematch was made so quickly. Shogun was the one that made Machida look beatable after their first fight and felt that he was robbed of the win. Which is why in the second fight... yeah. And as far as the Jones fight went... he wasn't 100%. He was slow, rusty and everything. You can just watch the fight to know that. Watch the two fights he had after that. The fight against Forrest in Brazil was Shogun at the top of his game. His fight and loss to Hendo he was at the top of his game there too.

So it isn't always an excuse being made... but when it is... you can tell that there is something off with him.