Varitek makes it official. Calls it a career.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
Jason Varitek sat near home plate, but not in his typical squatting position.

He wasn't wearing a mask or chest protector. Instead, he sported a gray suit and purple tie.

The longtime Red Sox captain officially announced his retirement Thursday at JetBlue Park in Fort Myers, Fla., ending a 15-year big league career, all with Boston.

"My decision to retire wasn't something that I took likely," said Varitek, who routinely paused as he became emotional during his retirement speech. "This has probably been the most difficult decision that I've had to make in my career. But the opportunity to be able to start and finish my Major League career in one place is why I'm standing here today."

Varitek became the captain of the Red Sox following the club's World Series triumph in 2004, Boston's first title in 86 years. Varitek helped the team to another championship in 2007. The three-time All-Star caught a Major League-record four no-hitters.

"I can probably now appreciate them more than I did when I was playing," Varitek said, "because I was always looking to the next thing and pushing forward. Winning the World Series here was unbelievable, and it was a hard one to match, but the uniqueness of [Jon] Lester's no-hitter and Clay [Buchholz's] no-hitter are going to be hard to forget."

And Varitek's teammates and coaches will never forget his leadership on and off the field.

"You did own that clubhouse," said club chairman Tom Werner. "You were our leader every single day, offensively, defensively and in the clubhouse."

In all, Varitek hit .256 with 193 home runs in his 15 seasons, while taking home an American League Gold Glove Award in 2005. He said he is still discussing a role with the Red Sox to remain involved with the team.

"For now, I plan to attend a lot more soccer practices and soccer matches, and maybe mix in a few tennis matches," said Varitek, stressing his desire to spend more time with his three daughters.

Awesome player whose leadership will be sorely missed in Boston. Heck of a catcher.

Bad News Booty

I Fancy Martina
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Tek was def the man. With Wake retiring, Tito gone, Theo gone, & a lot of the clubhouse staff gone this certainly seems to be the changing of the guard in beantown

here is his speech in full
[YOUTUBE]Wl6In5X1oHc[/YOUTUBE]

Always a class act. Thank You Tek.

and probably the moment that most Sox fans love Tek for
[YOUTUBE]Y6BoQDCTQsQ[/YOUTUBE]

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I remember that brawl. They kept showing it on ESPN for like 2 weeks. :lol:

Bad News Booty

I Fancy Martina
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
that picture of Tek hitting ARod is the top selling picture of the last ten years for the Red Sox.