UFN 25: Battle On The Bayou

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ben

Reaction score
UFN25_EMAIL_HEADER_JPG.jpg

Main Event:

170lbs: Jake Shields (26-5-1) vs Jake Ellenberger (25-5)

Main Card:

185lbs: Alan Belcher (16-6) vs Jason MacDonald (25-14)
185lbs: Dongi Yang (10-1) vs Court McGee (13-1)
145lbs: Erik Koch (12-1) vs Johnathan Brookins (12-3)

Preliminary Card:

155lbs: Evan Dhunham (11-2) vs Shamar Bailiey (12-3)
155lbs: Matt Riddle (5-2) vs Lance Benoist (5-0)
170lbs: Daniel Roberts (12-3) vs TJ Waldburger (13-6)
135lbs: Ken Stone (9-3) vs Donny Walker (15-7)
145lbs: Mike Lullo (8-3) vs Mackens Semerzier (6-3)
155lbs: Vagner Rocha (6-2) vs Cody McKenzie (12-1)
170lbs: Clay Harvison (9-3) vs DaMarques Johnson (12-9)

Decent card. See Shields getting the win and Brookins has not impressed me at all so hopefully he can get his shit together.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
MAIN CARD

• Jake Ellenberger def. Jake Shields via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 0:53
  • Court McGee def. Dongi Yang via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-28)
  • Erik Koch def. Jonathan Brookins via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
  • Alan Belcher def. Jason MacDonald via verbal submission (punches) - Round 1, 3:48

It was a pretty good show, can't believe Shields lost though.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
PRELIMINARY CARD

• Vagner Rocha def. Cody McKenzie via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2, 3:49
  • Evan Dunham def. Shamar Bailey via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
  • Lance Benoist def. Matt Riddle via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
  • Ken Stone def. Donny Walker via technical submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 2:40
  • Seth Baczynski def. Clay Harvison via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2, 1:12
  • T.J. Waldburger def. Mike Stumpf via submission (triangle choke) - Round 1, 3:52
  • Robert Peralta def. Mike Lullo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
  • Justin Edwards def. Jorge Lopez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
NEW ORLEANS – UFC Fight Night 25 drew a top-10 attendance figure in the event series' history.

Overall, Saturday's show drew 7,112 attendees for a live gate of $685,000.

MMAjunkie.com learned of the figures UFC Fight Night 25's post-fight press conference.

UFC Fight Night 25 took place at New Orleans' Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. The night's main card aired on Spike TV while the prelims streamed on Facebook.

If the figure holds up, the attendance mark will rank 10th in UFC Fight Night history. Official figures will be available from the Louisiana State Boxing and Wrestling Commission next week.

Saturday's event was the first such event since the record-breaking UFC Fight Night 24, which broke record marks set by UFC Fight Night 20 ($753,962 gate) and UFC Fight Night 18 (10,267 attendance).

MMAJunkie.com

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
NEW ORLEANS – Jake Ellenberger, T.J. Waldburger, Lance Benoist, Matt Riddle each earned $55,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances at Saturday's UFC Fight Night 25 event.

Ellenberger earned the night's "Knockout of the Night" award, Waldburger picked up the "Submission of the Night" bonus, and Benoist and Riddle took home "Fight of the Night" honors.

MMAjunkie.com learned of the bonus winners and award amounts at UFC Fight Night 25's post-fight press conference.

UFC Fight Night 25 took place at New Orleans' Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. The night's main card aired on Spike TV while the prelims streamed on Facebook.

Ellenberger received his award for a quick, 53-second TKO destruction of Jake Shields in the night's main event. Ellenberger unloaded a knee to the body and one to the head before a series of follow-up punches forced the referee's intervention.

Waldburger used a slick transition to submit promotional newcomer Mike Stumpf on the night's preliminary card. Although he looked to secure a tight armbar, Stumpf freed himself, and Waldburger then smoothly transitioned to a triangle choke to force the first-round tap-out.

Newcomer Benoist and Riddle also competed on the prelims in a competitive fight. Riddle rallied strong in the third round, but Benoist had built a lead and earned the judges' nod via 29-28 scores across the board.

MMAJunkie.com

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
NEW ORLEANS – While fast-rising welterweight contender Jake Ellenberger (25-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) needed just 53 seconds to dispatch of recent UFC title challenger Jake Shields (26-6-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC), it was hardly the easiest victory of his career.

In fact, Ellenberger said, it was quite difficult to put aside his compassion for Shields, whose father passed away just three weeks prior to Saturday night's UFC Fight Night 25 meeting.

But Ellenberger did exactly that, netting his fifth-consecutive UFC win. Now the 32-year-old has his sights set on the top of the division and is confident he could provide a stern test for the winner of an upcoming UFC 137 title fight between current champion Georges St-Pierre and top contender Carlos Condit.

"I think I match-up well with Carlos and GSP," Ellenberger said at Saturday night's post-event press conference, which took place at New Orleans' Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. "I've gotten a lot better since [Condit and I] fought."

It's hard to argue against Ellenberger, who has now racked up wins over Shields, Sean Pierson, Carlos Eduardo Rocha, John Howard and Mike Pyle since dropping a controversial 2009 bout to Condit via split decision.

The competition has heightened with each passing fight, but Ellenberger said Saturday night's fight was one of the most difficult because of the need to put aside his emotional support of Shields in favor of the type of aggression needed to score such an impressive TKO win.

"That's the hard part," Ellenberger told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I know he's going through such a tough time. It is hard. No matter what you do and say, it's really hard to push that aside and compete. But I do feel for him. Outside of fighting, I feel for him. I respect him. But when you get in there, it's our job to fight, and that's what we do."

Ellenberger wasted little time pressuring Shields in the opening round of their UFC Fight Night 25 main-event contest. Pushing forward from the opening bell, Ellenberger blasted Shields with a crushing knee and then followed up with a brutally quick and powerful ground-and-pound attack, forcing the stoppage and leaving his opponent in a dazed heap on the floor.

Ellenberger, who said he felt confident heading into the biggest bout of his career, said even he was surprised how quickly the fight ended.

"I definitely could see myself winning this fight," Ellenberger said. "Coming into this fight, I had a lot of confidence with my training and coaches, as well. But not that quick.

"It all happened so fast, but I was ready. I trained hard for this fight, and I was ready."

Ellenberger, who Shields had briefly disrespected when the contest was first announced by implying he wasn't even sure who his opponent was, declined to return any salvos post-fight. Instead, Ellenberger offered his condolences to Shields and offered appreciation for his willingness to fight despite his personal struggles.

"I feel for him; I really do," Ellenberger said. "Family is the most important thing in the world.

"I do have a lot of respect for Jake Shields. He took this fight going through something like that. It shows the professional that he is. It really does. I've got to respect that."

And while Shields has now dropped two-straight fights and will have to rebuild his career when he's done mourning his personal loss, Ellenberger is a man on the rise. The UFC 137 co-feature sees B.J. Penn face Nick Diaz, and the winner will have a nice case in claiming a title shot. However, Ellenberger wouldn't seem to be too far behind.

Ellenberger refused to speculate, suggesting only that he'll listen to his bosses' orders.

"Whoever the UFC asks me, I'll fight," Ellenberger said. "I'll keep working my way up until I get my title shot."

With a "Knockout of the Night" win over the man even St-Pierre couldn't finish in 25 minutes, that time may not be long.

MMAJunkie.com

Ben

Reaction score
Yea really can't believe that Shields lost that quickly. Thought the possibility was there, but not a KO in the first minute.