UFC's Wanderlei Silva on Vitor Belfort: 'Your Time is Coming'

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
117645479_large.jpg
At UFC 132 this Saturday, Wanderlei Silva faces Chris Leben in the semi main event. But even as the Leben fight draws near, the former Pride champion is looking to what might be ahead, including a rematch with Vitor Belfort. Brazil's Fight World spoke to him about rumors that he was ducking Belfort, and this is what The Axe Murderer had to say:

The day that I avoid Belfort I will retire. Of these ten fights (I will still have), one will be with you. Don't worry because your time is coming, we'll resolve this inside (the octagon). What I had to say I already said it to your face, this fight will happen, don't worry because I will give you what you want.

Two key points here:

#1 - Awesome. This is a rematch that absolutely must happen. The two men first met way back in 1998 at UFC Ultimate Brazil. At the time, Belfort was trying to rebuild his "Phenom" image after the first Randy Couture loss, while Silva was taking his first step out of the world of Brazilian Vale Tudo. The result was one of Belfort's finest performances, a 44 second slaughter that saw Belfort unleash a barrage of rapid fire punches to earn the TKO. Since then, the two men have had very winding careers filled with plenty of highs and lows for each. A rematch at this late stage in their careers would be a great thing.

#2 - Silva specifically notes here that he things he has 10 fights left in him. If that doesn;t sound like much, consider that 10 fights ago he was still the Pride Middleweight champion and the favorite to win the 2005 Grand Prix. A lot has happened to his career since then, including 3 brutal lights out KO's. I'll be sad to see Wanderlei go, but I'm not sure sticking around for 10 more is the best bet.