UFC Won't Buy Library Rights, Believes Spike TV Is Being Dishonorable

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
125686184_extra_large.jpg
In an interview with MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani on Wednesday of last week, UFC President Dana White updated fans on the current situation with Spike TV. As of right now, Spike TV owns UFC programming rights through 2012, putting a thorn in the UFC's back as they move forward with their new television partner Fox. There is an option for the UFC to buy back the rights, but it will eliminate a clause in the deal that stops Spike TV from bringing in another promotion to fill the void.

Spike TV hasn't hidden the fact that they would like to move Bellator Fighting Championships over from MTV2 to their network. Both channels are under the Viacom umbrella, and despite Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney's past comments that they are pleased with MTV2 and will stay there -- Spike TV has already put the wheels in motion. One such piece of evidence came on September 10th when Spike TV's website, Spike.com, began broadcasting live prelims for Bellator.

White was pressed by Helwani about the library rights, and he responded to questions revolving around Spike TV broadcasting Bellator's preliminary card on their website. FightOpinion.com's Zach Arnold has the transciption:

The most intriguing insider baseball segment of the interview is when Ariel asked Dana whether or not it's true that Spike can't air Bellator on TV in 2012 unless UFC buys the rights (picks up the option) to their video library to stop it from airing on Spike in 2012. Dana says that UFC has no intentions on buying the library rights, so Spike is stuck with UFC programming in 2012 as their only contractual choice.

Ariel then pressed Dana on Spike airing Bellator fights on their web site.

"If you really look at what I call the spirit of the deal... it's the wrong thing to do."
"In my opinion, it's Spike not being honorable."
"I've been nothing but honorable with them."
"That is not the spirit of the deal and they're being 100% not honorable."

It will be an interesting year for the UFC in 2012. They will be counter programmed by their own content on Spike TV, and it will more than likely affect their ratings. Spike TV believes that fans are morons however. They'll be confused by the UFC's switch to Fox because Spike TV is the home of the UFC. In reality, Fox's broader reach and bevy of secondary channels should inform the fanbase of the move, along with the UFC's own advertising during pay-per-views.

Dana White has stated all along that Spike TV has been an honorable partner that helped them grow for years and years. It would seem that White is now finding out the hardships of playing chess in the landscape of television. Spike TV, however dishonorable you may believe they are being by airing Bellator's prelims, is a business. In my mind, the move was a precursor to bringing Bellator over to the network.

Unfortunately for Spike TV, the UFC won't be opting to buy back the library rights. Spike TV will have to wait a year to move Bellator over to their network, and the UFC and Fox will have to spend a little extra money getting the word out about upcoming events. A minor trade-off to stop their primary competitor from stabilizing. Will Bellator survive the year? Will Spike TV hurt the UFC's ratings on Fox? Only time will tell, but it should be a fascinating business story buried beneath the pugilism.