UFC vet Dan Miller's son facing life-threatening surgery; family asks for help

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The fight of Daniel Miller Jr. is not yet over.

The one-year-old son of UFC middleweight Dan Miller needs a kidney transplant as the result of a genetic kidney disorder known as polycystic kidney disease, or PKD, and a foundation has been formed in his name to raise money for medical bills in the neighborhood of $100,000.

Miller's team, AMA Fight Club, is holding an MMA seminar at the gym on Dec. 3, the proceeds of which will benefit the foundation. An auction is also being planned for the end of the year.

A Paypal account recently set up for the foundation has drawn overwhelming support since it was announced this week, according to AMA Fight Club trainer Mike Constantino.

"We've gotten donations as little as a $1.50 all the way up to a donation for $20,000," he told MMAjunkie.com "So people are really, really stepping up. It's amazing."

Daniel Miller Jr. was born one month prior to Dan Miller's fight against Demian Maia at UFC 109 and soon suffered complications from his disease that required his admittance to pediatric intensive care.

However, the story of his illness didn't surface until prior to Miller's next fight, which came against Michael Bisping at UFC 114.

"I'm not trying to take these emotions in with me," Miller then said. "I want to go in and have a really good fight (and) fight the way I use to fight."

Miller lost the fight via unanimous decision, but went on to rack up back-to-back wins over John Salter and Joe Doerksen. His next two fights, which he served as a replacement for injured fighters, ended in decision losses to Nate Marquardt and Rousimar Palhares, respectively.

Daniel Miller Jr. returned home from intensive care in May 2010, but his illness continues to cause complications that affect his physical development and he is forced to undergo dialysis on a daily basis.

The child recently had his kidneys removed to facilitate a kidney donation. Miller's aunt agreed to donate one of her kidneys, but that procedure is not covered by medical insurance.

"Because she's electing to give her kidney, they don't cover anything," Constantino said. "So we have to pay for the actual surgery, the hospital stay, time out of work, medicine, everything."

The cost of the Dec. 3 seminar is a $100 donation to the foundation for the a striking-only session and a $175 donation for the full session, which runs from 9:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. at AMA Fight Club. Information can be found at Home | Professional Training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Whippany NJ.

Constantino said items recently donated from fans and MMA companies will be cataloged and auctioned next month with 100 percent of the proceeds going to the foundation.