UFC on Versus 6 Ratings Up Slightly

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
UFC_on_Versus_6_large.jpg
The big question going into UFC on Versus 6 was if the viewing public would accept and watch an event with the bantamweight champion at the top of the card. Judging by the ratings, the answer is an astounding YES. The show received very little promotion from the UFC and network yet still pulled solid numbers. This was the sixth event Zuffa has done in conjunction with Versus/NBC Sports under the UFC banner and only the second time that the UFC has ever offered a title fight on free television.

The event from Washington, D.C. averaged 789,000 viewers. When compared to the other Versus shows, this puts the Dominick Cruz title defense as the third highest rated event on the network. UFC on Versus 1: Vera vs Jones had an average of 1.2 million viewers. After that even the shows had a decline with Jones' next appearance being the second highest rated falling just short of a million views at 991,000. This show was up from the Lytle vs Hardy event that average 766,000 viewers. The lowest rated was UFC on Versus 3: Diaz vs Kampann which averaged 681,000 viewers.

What does this mean for the promotion? Well there are two different ways to look at these numbers. The first is with disappointment that the ratings don't exactly "wow" with regards to Dominick Cruz' drawing ability. People can use these ratings as ammo that he isn't a draw and won't ever be a draw. On the other hand, this show received almost no promotion and Cruz still drew the third highest ratings for the network. This shows that there are people who want to see Dominick Cruz fight and that the UFC is trying to build him as a star for the organization. I'm hoping it's less of the former and more of the latter as I enjoy watching Dominick Cruz fight.

SBN coverage of UFC on Versus 6: Cruz vs. Johnson