UFC on FUEL TV - Sanchez vs. Ellenberger

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
UFCDiegoSanchezJakeEllenbergerFuelTVPoster.jpg

Main card (Fuel TV)
Welterweight bout: Diego Sanchez vs. Jake Ellenberger
Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Dave Herman
Middleweight bout: Aaron Simpson vs. Ronny Markes
Heavyweight bout: Stipe Miocic vs. Philip De Fries
Bantamweight bout: T.J. Dillashaw vs. Walel Watson
Bantamweight bout: *Ivan Menjivar vs. *John Albert

Preliminary card (Facebook)
Featherweight bout: Jonathan Brookins vs. Vagner Rocha
Middleweight bout: Buddy Roberts vs. Sean Loeffler
Lightweight bout: Anton Kuivanen vs. Justin Salas
Lightweight bout: Yoislandy Izquierdo vs. Bernardo Magalhaes​

I see Ellenberger taking this one, he's better than Sanchez on the ground and Diego's no striker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Ehhh. All around I have to give it to Diego. There's something about Diego that makes him seem more talented than Ellenberger. He's got the swagger of a champion and sometimes confidence can make all the difference. I also don't want to see Struve lose again, but he just might...

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
Ehhh. All around I have to give it to Diego. There's something about Diego that makes him seem more talented than Ellenberger. He's got the swagger of a champion and sometimes confidence can make all the difference. I also don't want to see Struve lose again, but he just might...

I can see this fight going to the ground. Ellenburger's wrestling pedigree is a small bit ahead of Diego. He always has great submission defence.

I can Diego wanting to stand on this one but, he's too sloppy on his feet. If Ellenberger baits him and takes one or two shots (which shouldn't be too hard as Diego isn't a KO artist in any respect) he should be able to take him down and start ground 'n' pounding.

Swinny

Reaction score
John Albert vs. Ivan Menjivar promoted to UFC on FUEL TV 1 main card
by Dann Stupp and John Morgan on Feb 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm ET

It looks like John Albert's wish to be a main-card fighter has come true sooner than expected.

A bout between Albert (7-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and fellow bantamweight Ivan Menjivar (23-8 MMA, 2-1 UFC) has promoted from the preliminary card to the main card of Wednesday's UFC on FUEL TV 1 event.

FUEL TV officials today confirmed the addition, which brings the FUEL TV-televised main card to six bouts, with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

UFC on FUEL TV 1 takes place at Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Neb. Albert vs. Menjivar initially was slated for the night's free preliminary-card Facebook stream, which precedes the night's televised main card. (As a reminder, FUEL TV is now available as part of a free-preview week on many cable platforms.)

In a story that ran earlier today on MMAjunkie.com, Albert explained how his most presssing goal in the UFC is to get main-card fights for the added visibility they bring. Most recently, he made a successful UFC debut and knocked out Dustin Pague in 69 seconds. The fight, which took place on the prelims, nonetheless aired as part of The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale main-card broadcast on Spike TV because of the dominant finish.

The full UFC on FUEL TV 1 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (FUEL TV)

Jake Ellenberger vs. Diego Sanchez
Dave Herman vs. Stefan Struve
Ronny Markes vs. Aaron Simpson
Philip De Fries vs. Stipe Miocic
T.J. Dillashaw vs. Walel Watson
John Albert vs. Ivan Menjivar

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
Jonathan Brookins vs. Vagner Rocha
Sean Loeffler vs. Buddy Roberts
Anton Kuivanen vs. Justin Salas
Bernardo Magalhaes vs. Tim Means

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
I'm pissed that Brookins isn't on the main card and John Albert is.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
Yeah, but I think it's more because Menjivar is the biggest name of the bunch than anything.

To the casual fan, I didn't think he is. Most casual fans (who will be watching this as it's not on PPV) will remember Brookins from The Ultimate Fighter. I don't think too many casuals watched the WEC.

Swinny

Reaction score
To the casual fan, I didn't think he is. Most casual fans (who will be watching this as it's not on PPV) will remember Brookins from The Ultimate Fighter. I don't think too many casuals watched the WEC.

Yeah, but I don't think they're bringing in that many casual fans with the FUEL TV shows though like they are with FOX and FX because I don't think there's many people who just happen to have FUEL TV, most that have it have gotten it because of UFC, I think.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
Yeah, but I don't think they're bringing in that many casual fans with the FUEL TV shows though like they are with FOX and FX because I don't think there's many people who just happen to have FUEL TV, most that have it have gotten it because of UFC, I think.

Regardless, I just see Brookins being more well known because of his stint on TUF. Hopefully, if he wins he'll get main card for his next fight. I'm a fan of Brookins his wrestling/submission style is very unorthodox. I find it very entertaining to watch.

Swinny

Reaction score
UFC on FUEL TV 1 weigh-in results: Sanchez (170), Ellenberger (170) on mark
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:25 pm ET

OMAHA, Neb. – MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) was on scene and reporting live from today's UFC on FUEL TV 1 fighter weigh-ins, where all 20 competitors successfully made weight.

Today's festivities took place at Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Neb.

The venue also plays host to Wednesday's event, which features a FUEL TV-televised main card and prelims on Facebook. Welterweight contenders Jake Ellenberger (170 pounds) and Diego Sanchez (170) clash in the night's main event.

"It's definitely exciting to come back here and be around my friends and family," said Ellenberger, a Nebraska native. "I'm coming in here to finish him."

Sanchez was unimpressed.

"When they lock the doors, it's just me and him in there, and that's all that matters," he said.

The full UFC on FUEL TV 1 weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD (FUEL TV)

Jake Ellenberger (170) vs. Diego Sanchez (170)
Dave Herman (234) vs. Stefan Struve (256)
Ronny Markes (185) vs. Aaron Simpson (186)
Philip De Fries (241) vs. Stipe Miocic (240)
T.J. Dillashaw (136) vs. Walel Watson (135)
John Albert (135) vs. Ivan Menjivar (135)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

Jonathan Brookins (145) vs. Vagner Rocha (145)
Sean Loeffler (185) vs. Buddy Roberts (184)
Anton Kuivanen (156) vs. Justin Salas (155)
Bernardo Magalhaes (155) vs. Tim Means (155)

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
RESULTS

Diego Sanchez made several leading up to his UFC on FUEL TV 1 main event fight last night (Feb. 15, 2012) against Jake Ellenberger, which took place at the Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Nebraska. And the "Dream" lived up to at least one of them, if not more, on the first-ever televised main card on the FOX-owned network.

It was a dogfight.

In the early going, however, it seemed like a one-sided ass-kicking. Ellenberger was drilling Sanchez with clean, knee-buckling punches. However, as we all know, that means little when it comes to the Greg Jackson-trained mixed martial arts (MMA) zombie, who has a remarkable ability to absorb punishment and keep moving forward.

It certainly wasn't for lack of effort on the part of Ellenberger, who also mixed in takedowns and effective ground and pound. So when the third round arrived, it was clear that the hometown hero, Ellenberger, was way ahead on the judges scorecards.

Sanchez needed to go for broke and look to finish the fight early. And that's exactly what he (almost) did.

Sanchez reversed position late in the round and quickly took his opponent's back. He began to drill the side of Ellenberger's face with punches, and when the "Juggernaut" would attempt to escape, Sanchez would maneuver for a rear naked choke submission alongside the fence.

It was a desperate situation for Ellenberger, who looked visibly tired after 10 rounds of beating up Sanchez. But, with a few remaining seconds left in the round, he mustered up the strength to get to his feet and engage in one last flurry of hellish exchanges before the final horn blared.

Ellenberger survived Sanchez's valiant last-ditch effort. And, in the process, may have punched his ticket to an upcoming 170-pound interim title fight against Carlos Condit with division champion Georges St. Pierre still on the mend from knee surgery.

Rematch revenge with title implications on the line: It doesn't get much sweeter than that.

In the co main event, Stefan Struve and Dave Herman collided in a heavyweight showdown between two exciting fighters looking to crack into the upper echelon of the division.

"Skyscraper" not only accomplished that goal, but also cracked Herman's jaw with an uppercut in the second round that set up the eventual finish. Prior to the exchange, "Pee-Wee" appeared to be fighting his fight, keeping a safe distance from his 6'11" long-limbed counterpart and only getting close to deliver compact combinations, as well as kicks.

It appeared to be an effective strategy, but certainly not one that seemed like it was going to earn him his sixteenth professional (technical) knockout. Not against the dangerous Dutchman, anyway.

With time winding down in the second stanza, Struve uncorked a very large uppercut, which immediately buckled Herman's legs. Struve, noticing that Herman was clearly hurt, followed him to the canvas to deliver the fight-ending sequence that forced the referee in charge of the action to declare, "No Mas!"

That's now back-to-back wins for Struve, who has also won four of his last five. And not one of them, win or lose, has been boring. In fact, he's one of the more exciting, and young, 24, fighters in the division. One who might deliver another fan-friendly brawl if he can get his hands on another hot prospect some day soon.

Speaking of which ...

Two solid, up-and-coming heavyweight prospects, Philip De Fries vs. Stipe Miocic, hooked 'em up to determine who was a possible future division contender and who was just a pretender.

Miocic left zero room for doubt, nailing his English counterpart with a straight right counter in the early moments of the first round, which stunned De Fries and sent him wobbling back from his hard-charging attack. One that actually had the Croatian-American stunned, but in his haste to pour it on thick, De Fries forgot that there is nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal.

Noticing that De Fries was dazed, Miocic landed a few more shots that put him on the canvas. And from that point forward he put it on him like a champ, bashing his face repeatedly, uninterrupted, and leaving the referee no other choice but to intervene and stop it before it got even uglier.

What else would you expect from a former Golden Gloves boxing champion and Division 1 NCAA wrestler? It doesn't get much better than Miocic's pedigree on paper. The 29-year-old has so far lived up to the much-deserved hype.

And then some.

Whatever frustration T.J. Dillashaw had pent up following his flash knockout to John Dodson in The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 14 Finale back in Dec. 2011, he took out on Walel Watson last night for basically 15 straight minutes. Giving up what looked like a one-foot height advantage, the Team Alpha Male-trained fighter immediately looked to nullify that advantage by taking "The Gazelle" to the ground.

And that's exactly what he did, early and often, en route to a lopsided unanimous decision.

Dillashaw at one point in the second round was just pummeling Watson from all sides while in top control. He'd roll to his back to avoid the punishment, but then Dillashaw would attempt to end the fight with a rear naked choke. This scenario played out about a half-dozen times, with Watson able to defend rather brilliantly and easily.

It was maddening, really, because he was unable to muster any offense -- sans a brief submission-laded threat late in the third round -- and his defense was merely delaying the inevitable.

Also inevitable, most likely, is a post-fight employee review -- Watson has now dropped two straight bouts and three of his last five. Dillashaw, meanwhile, earns his first-ever UFC win and looked impressive in the process.

He'll be back soon. That, too, is inevitable.

Ivan Menjivar and John Albert kicked off the main card action, trading enough bombs, as well as submission attempts, in a fight that only lasted less than four minutes, but seemed to have enough action to pack an entire three-round fight.

It was a back-and-forth bantamweight brawl in which both fighters were in serious trouble at one point or another. In fact, Albert rocked "The Pride of El Salvador" with a face kick and then landed several knees that appeared to signal the beginning of the end.

With the referee appearing to itch his official trigger, on the verge of stopping the fight, Menjivar rose to his feet, slipped out of a guillotine choke and began to turn the tide. He soon took the back of the suddenly exhausted "Prince," angling for a rear naked choke and eventually securing it to earn an exciting come-from-behind victory.

That's now three straight wins for Menjivar since his return to the Octagon in April 2011. If he keep that streak alive in 2012 he might soon find himself in more meaningful 135-pound bouts -- against stiffer, more noteworthy competition -- sooner rather than later.

Because no good deed inside the eight-walled cage ever goes unpunished.

That's enough from us. Now it's your turn to discuss UFC Fuel TV 1: "Ellenberger vs. Sanchez" in the comments section below.

Is Ellenberger vs. Condit 2 a must? What's next for Sanchez? Is Struve-Miocic a fight you want to see? While we're at it, how about Dillashaw vs. Menjivar?

Let's hear it, Maniacs.

Be sure to also check out our complete UFC on Fuel TV 1 blow-by-blow coverage of the entire "Ellenberger vs. Sanchez" event right here.

While you're at it, check out our fight-by-fight recaps and immediate reactions for the UFC on Fuel TV 1 action:

Diego Sanchez vs. Jake Ellenberger

UFC on FUEL TV 1 results: Jake Ellenberger wins decision over Diego Sanchez in war
Stefan Struve vs. Dave Herman

UFC on FUEL TV 1 results: Stefan Struve pounds out Dave Herman
Aaron Simpson vs. Ronny Markes

UFC on FUEL TV 1 results: Ronny Markes wins close split decision over Aaron Simpson
Philip De Fries vs. Stipe Miocic

UFC on FUEL TV 1 results: Stipe Miocic knocks out Phil De Fries in the first round
T.J. Dillashaw vs. Walel Watson

UFC on FUEL TV 1 results: TJ Dillashaw dominates Walel Watson en route to decision win
Ivan Menjivar vs. John Albert

UFC on FUEL TV 1 results: Ivan Menjivar chokes out John Albert

Swinny

Reaction score
Great show overall and the main event definitely lived up to expectations.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
It was indeed a war, I feel five rounds would've suited it better though Ellenberger would have probably collapsed :lol:

Swinny

Reaction score
Yeah, two more rounds and it could have been a very different fight with the way Diego was going in that third round.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
It's his fault for leaving it so late imo. If he came out like that a round earlier it would have been much harder to judge.