UFC looks at Australia for March event, possibly Sydney, for UFC 145

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The UFC's international-use octagon could be taking a swift trip south following the promotion's trip to Japan.

Sources close to negotiations today told UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com that Sydney is under consideration for an early March pay-per-view event, possibly UFC 145 on March 4.

If confirmed, the event would be the third to touch down in Australia's biggest city following two sold-out events, UFC 110 and UFC 127.

In all likelihood, Allphones Arena (formerly Acer Arena) would host the March event. The same venue hosted UFC 110 and UFC 127, which averaged nearly 18,000 attendees per show.

However, event sources today stressed that nothing is official for the event.

The UFC today held a press conference in Tokyo to promote UFC 144, which takes place Feb. 26 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. The UFC hasn't promoted in the country since December 2000, when "UFC 29: Defense of the Belts" took place at Tokyo's Differ Ariake Arena. If the UFC books Sydney for UFC 145, it'll be the second international show in just one week's span.

UFC 110 and UFC 127 were held on Sunday, which meant stateside fans watched the event live on Saturday night due to the time difference between the U.S. and Australia. The pay-per-view main card of UFC 144 in Japan also takes place Sunday locally but airs live on Saturday, Feb. 25, at 10 p.m. ET (7 p.m. PT) in North America.

As MMAjunkie.com previously reported, a matchup between welterweights Thiago Alves (19-8 MMA, 11-5 UFC) and Martin Kampmann (18-5 MMA, 9-4 UFC) has been targeted for the UFC 145 event. No other fights are rumored at this time.

MMAjunkie.com

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Hopefully they come back again because the first two shows have been great to watch and have been very successful selling out in no time. Slightly frustrating that they keep going to Sydney, I thought that they would go to Melbourne next and try to book out an even bigger stadium. Depending on the card I may look to get a ticket to this event.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
March is my birthday, could I get a present to go?!