UFC in Talks to Purchase Control of G4 Network

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
It's well known that the UFC's television deal with Spike TV runs up this year, and the public relationship hasn't exactly been peaches these last few months. UFC President Dana White has been up front about being in negotiations with other networks.

One of the networks that's been involved in rumors is G4. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the UFC may be involved in discussion that go beyond a broadcast deal.

Ultimate Fighting Championship is in discussions to buy control of NBCUniversal's struggling G4 gaming network, according to people familiar with the matter.

A deal would give the UFC, which promotes and produces competitions in mixed-martial arts, its own distribution outlet for its bouts.

The Wall Street Journal did not have information regarding the price of the deal or the size of the stake being discussed.

The G4 network can be found in 63 million homes. Spike TV is available in over 99 million homes.

A 2008 ABC News report reported that then-Comcast President Ted Harbert said "just 53% of homes who receive the channel know it exists."

Not sure if it would be a good move or bad move, while having a controlling interest in your own network is a good thing. Taking over a network that catered to a totally different audience is a bad thing.

G4 is for gamers and all alround nerds and UFC is for nerds and nerdhaters. What nerdhater would want to watch the nerd channel?

Spike catered to the demographic that UFC caters to. Seems win, but I guess their besties no more.

Thoughts?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Like you said it is a strange choice for a takeover bid. G4 has nothing to do with MMA and there is no crossover between the two brands. My only thought is UFC buy it and then completely gut the channel and replace it with their own product and some other similar products. Big loss for Spike TV as UFC was a big draw and would bring in lots of sponsorship dollars.

We will have to wait and see what UFC do with the network if they do buy it.

Jiso

Reaction score
Direct quote from Dana White is that there is nothing to this.

Although I'm sure he would have said the same thing a week before they picked up the keys of Scott Coker's house. Supposedly Spike is looking to replace UFC with Bellator if the shift happens (having Eddie Alvarez host the Spike Awards last week was a pretty clear sign that they're not messing around) and if UFC do take over G4 at least they'll be in the NBC family. Versus is changing to NBC Sports within the next year so UFC should be able to get countdown specials and maybe even syndicate TUF as late Saturday night programing on NBC if they play their cards right.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Dana White won't say anything until the deal is sealed.

Be interesting if UFC do become part of the NBC family. Both WWE and UFC will be under the same wide umbrella.

Seak

Reaction score
Dana White is a business man, and having control of a network would be an amazing opportunity to expand to an extremely new level for UFC. It doesn't matter what G4 has right now, nobody watches it. They can completely revamp the lineup, cater to their audience, and make a shit ton of money. I for one would love to see what happens if this goes through.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
If they do buy G4 what content do they have to fill 24 hours a day, seven days a week of programming? Where WWE have more than 100,000 hours in their video library UFC don't have anywhere near as much.

They have all the UFC PPVs 1-131. They have Fight Nights. They own the video librarys of Pride, WEC, Strikeforce and WFA. The have 13 seasons of The Ultimate Fighter and UFC Primetime shows and that is about it. They don't have that many hours in their video library so would struggle to have enough programming. Obviously they can replay things during the week but overall I think that they would need to show other products on their channel.

Do you think that UFC will partner with any other organisations with this channel? What other shows could they put on the network that would be appealing to the UFC fans?

Jiso

Reaction score
I would assume they would continue programming as usual with UFC product placed where ever they want it.

Seak

Reaction score
The problem with "programming as usual" is that it is full of programs that are the complete opposite of UFC.

If they throw in a bunch of Inside the Octagons and Primetimes for their upcoming PPVs, add some sit down talk shows (think Sports Center), Fight Nights, the occasional older PPV, and some other organisation stuff (Pride WEC ect.) I think you have one hell of a station. MMA has basically a cult following. Sure, there are the average fan who'll watch a PPV when there's a guy they like and the occasional Fight Night on Spike, but there are some die hard fight fans. With a line up like I listed, especially if they continuously build their next card on it, there are people who may never turn the station off lol!

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Show more Pride and I'll be happy.

Maybe if they get desperate for footage, they can finally release the blacked out UFC shows from 12-24.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
The only downside to this deal is less overall exposure since G4 will be in millions less homes than Spike hits. Less exposure means less to know about the product. The less that know about the product means damage to growing to bigger heights.

I mean overall it could benefit them well in having their own thing going for them like this. But... I dunno. I know I for one will think it sucks cause I don't have G4 and wait for it to come on Spike unless I feel like downloading a show or watching a DVD.

Jiso

Reaction score
The only downside to this deal is less overall exposure since G4 will be in millions less homes than Spike hits. Less exposure means less to know about the product. The less that know about the product means damage to growing to bigger heights.

I mean overall it could benefit them well in having their own thing going for them like this. But... I dunno. I know I for one will think it sucks cause I don't have G4 and wait for it to come on Spike unless I feel like downloading a show or watching a DVD.

Wasn't that the problem with the Verses deal which has actually done quite well in the time since they started there?

If they do this, they'll push it hard enough at every opportunity so people will want to pick up G4.

As for the programming, who cares? Having a fighting only network wouldn't work.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
There is the Fight Network in Canada, and it's been going steady since 06.

An HDNets MMA block seems to do very well for them. It's not a big leap saying an all Zuffa channel wouldn't work.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I just don't think they have enough product to fill the channel. They will have to produce more shows but that would be a good thing. I like the idea of them doing a panel style show.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
They could show more than just MMA cards or bouts. Maybe they can showcase the different styles of MMA like grappling championships, kickboxing matches and wrestling tournaments. Maybe even boxing, if they were allowed to. Doubt that part, but they still could show other forms of combat sports