UFC boss has change of heart, Edgar vs Maynard III up next for title, not Pettis

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

pumpt73

Reaction score
source: www.mmajunkie.com

AS VEGAS – Cheer up, Gray. You'll get another chance.

Fewer than two hours after UFC executive Craig Borsari informed the media at UFC 125's post-event press conference that Anthony Pettis would get the next crack at the UFC's lightweight belt, UFC president Dana White had a change of heart.

White informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the promotion instead will book Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III as soon as possible.

"We changed the plans," White told MMAjunkie.com. "After Craig made the announcement, I had a lot of people talking to me, and the reality is, Gray Maynard deserves that fight. We had planned on doing Anthony Pettis next, but Gray went in there and fought his ass off and deserves another chance.

"In the UFC, we do the right thing, and the right thing is to put on this rematch."

White first discussed the change of plans with Yahoo! Sports.

Maynard was absolutely dejected at the evening's post-event press conference, and his outlook worsened at Borsari's announcement.

"I worked my ass for this," Maynard said. "I guess it kind of hurts."

Edgar was nearly knocked out in the opening round of the main-event bout, which took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. After losing the round 10-8 on all three judges' scorecards, Edgar valiantly battled back for the remaining four frames.

The final four rounds were closely contested, and the fight was scored 48-46 Edgar, 48-46 Maynard, and 47-47, which resulted in a draw. Because of the draw, Edgar retained his title.

After being informed that he would face Pettis next, even Edgar admitted he prefered a third bout with Maynard, who handed the lightweight champion his only career loss back in 2008.

"I probably would (prefer to have a rematch with Maynard)," Edgar said. "To have a little more closure would be nice."

As for Pettis' next move, White said he's currently unsure. However, the UFC boss insisted he would figure it out as quickly as possible.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Look, I don't mind seeing a third bout, but don't do that to Anthony Pettis who just gave Zuffa and all of MMA one of the most spectacular finishes of all time. Pettis deserves his unification bout. Personally, I think Edgar won this bout. After the first round, Maynard was outboxed, outwrestled, and basically just outworked. This is where an individual point scoring system could have made a huge difference. Count up all of the shots Maynard landed in round 1 and compare all of his scoring with rounds 2-5, and Im willing to bet, Edgar would have outpointed him. Edgar got his signature jab working and his recovery from the beating he took in the first round is something I have never seen in any fight in my life. The guy was on wobbly legs and ended up looking fresh once the second round started. Sorry, but Edgar vs. Maynard III can wait. Edgar vs. Pettis SHOULD be next.

Highwave

Reaction score
This happened because franky didn't let his left hook go after the cross. He kept landing the straight and never let the hook go I think he was afraid to bang after the first round. I new Maynard fucked him self by not finishing him,I think it was a draw I can't decide between the heart of Franky or the Brutality of Maynard in the first-round .I take in consideration the damage on the fighters You can jab your way into titles with points in this case retaining the title. I cant believe he is going to fight the same opponent AGAIN.2xBJ Pen Now 2x Maynard He should put some combos together and finish. Anthony Pettis is pissed and I don't blame him. After all the set backs in MMA now this one two?!Lets throw them in hell in a cell winner takes all.
[video=youtube;I0vCmqflYwU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0vCmqflYwU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

pumpt73

Reaction score
See I had it the same way Marcos Rosales had it. Maynard clearly won Round 1 10-8. Then I had Edgar winning 2-5. Edgar stayed busier, scored more takedowns, stuffed just about every shot Maynard took, landed cleaner shots, and had submission attempts. I never thought I would say that Edgar outwrestled Maynard but he did. Other than that, Edgar vs. Pettis should be next with Maynard drawing the winner.