UFC 144 - Edgar vs. Henderson

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
144-short_large.jpg

Main card
Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar vs. Ben Henderson
Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Ryan Bader
Welterweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo
Lightweight bout: Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch
Featherweight bout: Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski
Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon

Preliminary card
Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Vaughan Lee
Middleweight bout: Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell
Bantamweight bout: Takeya Mizugaki vs. Chris Cariaso

Holy shit, super fucking stacked card.

I give the win to Edgar. He's too good to get forced to the ground by Henderson and even if it goes to the ground, Edgar's top control is great. Edgar didn't seem to have submission problems with BJ, I can't Henderson being any different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
Feb 14, 2012 - In 2001, a 23-year-old junior college wrestler from Memphis, Tenn. by the name of Quinton Jackson traveled overseas to serve as an easy foil for Japanese folk hero Kazushi Sakuraba. Few could have predicted the chain of events that would follow.

Six years and 17 fights later, Quinton had become "Rampage," a Japanese folk hero in his own right, adored by a nation for his powerhouse style and violent victories over the best Pride Fighting Championships had to offer.

Now, over a decade since he first voyaged to the Land of the Rising Sun, Jackson returns with a new task in mind. Sure he would like to emerge triumphant over Ryan Bader at UFC 144's co-main event, but next weekend is also about something larger.

Jackson hopes to reignite the once-vibrant flame of Japanese mixed martial arts that was doused by the death of Pride.

"I think if anybody has a chance, it's the UFC," Rampage conceded during Tuesday's UFC 144 conference call. "The UFC is the biggest show on the planet right now. I remember back in the days when Pride was the biggest show, but the UFC has surpassed them. I think if anybody has a chance, it's the UFC, and if I have anything to do with it, I'm going to go there and fight my heart out. Put on a big show and try to put on the most exciting fight the Japanese fans have ever seen, to maybe want them to have the UFC come back."

That desire for excitement is the exact trait which endeared Rampage to Japanese audiences back in the old days. Between the iron chains, the howling, and ruthless performances personified by his slam of Ricardo Arona, Jackson cultivated an image by appealing to the eastern culture of showmanship.

"I was young, I didn't care. I just wanted to fight and put on the types of fights for the crowd," Jackson explained. "They love that type of stuff because pro wrestling is real popular there, and I kind of brought that type of factor to MMA."

It was inevitable the legend of Rampage would sprout quickly in a land where entertainment is at a premium. In retrospect, Pride's slew of squash matches and circus fights may not have been very sporting, but they produced an undeniable backlog of moments. And if you ask Rampage, those moments have mostly gone missing since he headed back west.

"Honestly, if I gave my thoughts on the match-making in the UFC, Joe Silva probably wouldn't even talk to me anymore, so I'm going to keep quiet on that," Jackson admitted, somewhat surprisingly. "Just to be honest, I think Pride had their match-makers make exciting fights.

"I don't think people understand, in America everybody is worried about who's going to win, and this and that. Who's winning and who's winning. Like, it ain't all about that. It's entertainment at the end of the day. The fans, they want to see entertaining fights, and fans got that. I don't think America has that yet."

If Jackson's remarks sound bitter, they surely aren't meant to be. Rather than digs at the UFC brass, his words hang in the air as wistful reminiscences of an era that exists only in memories of those that lived it.

"I really miss the fans, I'm not going to lie. I really miss fighting there," Jackson revealed. "It's something personal for me.

"My kids are from Japan. My kids grandparents are from there, and they never really watched me fight back in the day ... My two younger kids can come and watch me fight, and the in-laws can be in the crowd and watch me fight. I've never had that before, so it's just something I want to do."

To say Jackson is looking forward to Japan more than he is to Bader may not be that bold of an assumption. But just because the usual trash-talk has subdued into a starker form of reflection, it would still be unwise to think Rampage has gone soft.

"I've got nothing against Ryan Bader at all," the fighter coolly concluded. "I'm still going to try to knock his head off, but there ain't going to be no hard feelings about it."

Interesting interview courtesy of mmafighting.com. What he says about Japanese MMA is very true, it's just as much about entertainment as win streaks.

I think I'll give the fight to Rampage. To me, Bader hasn't showed that he's ready for these big fights after being destroyed and exposed by Jones and Ortiz respectively.

Swinny

Reaction score
This is one of the most stacked cards the UFC has ever put on. I mean there's eight, yes EIGHT, main card fights. That's insane. I can't wait.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
It is indeed a tight card, I'm looking forward to it. I'm backing:
Frankie Edgar
Quinton Jackson
Jake Shields
Cheick Kongo
Takanori Gomi
Yushin Okami
Bart Palaszewski
Anthony Pettis

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
Preliminary card (FX)
Bantamweight bout: Takeya Mizugaki vs. Chris Cariaso
Cariaso defeated Mizugaki via unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28).
Middleweight bout: Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell
Fukuda defeated Cantwell via unanimous decision (29–28, 30–27, 30–27).
Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Vaughan Lee
Lee defeated Yamamoto via submission (armbar) at 4:29 of round 1.
Lightweight bout: Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
Gomi defeated Mitsuoka via TKO (punches) at 2:21 of round 2.

Main card
Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon
Pettis defeated Lauzon via KO (head kick & punches) at 1:21 of round 1.
Featherweight bout: Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski
Hioki defeated Palazewski via unanimous decision (29–28, 30–27, 29–28).
Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch
Boetsch defeated Okami via TKO (punches) at 0:54 of round 3.
Welterweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields
Shields defeated Akiyama via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo
Hunt defeated Kongo via TKO (punches) at 2:11 of round 1.
Catchweight (211 lb) bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Ryan Bader
Bader defeated Jackson via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar (c) vs. Ben Henderson
Henderson defeated Edgar via unanimous decision (49–46, 48–47, 49–46) to become the new UFC Lightweight Champion.

My predictions were way off. With that being said, I just watched the replay and I have to give it to Henderson. It was a wonderful performance.
The same to Bader, he completely smothered Jackson's offence and picked up a well deserved victory. His clinch work looked great in the match.

Did anyone watch the show? What did you think?

Hammer

Reaction score
Website
www.dphcutompins.com
I thought if you go by the stats then Frankie won but it was not a robbery, Bendo had a great fight. Bader wasn't that impressive, Rampage was extremely out of shape. Shields won but showed again that he is a one trick pony, terrible stand up. Great come back by Tim. All in all a good card.

Swinny

Reaction score
This event was amazing, best I've seen in a long time. Such a stacked card, seven main card fights, several unexpected results and a little bit of everything on display, a true mixed martial arts event. Can't wait for them to put on another show as stacked as this, with more than five main card fights, as well as go back to Japan.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
Despite Rampage's shape, Bader impressed me. His clinch game has improved by leaps and bounds.

Swinny

Reaction score
UFC 144 medical suspensions: Henderson, 'Rampage' possibly out six months
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Mar 01, 2012 at 5:15 pm ET

The UFC issued medical suspensions to nine fighters from this past weekend's UFC 144 event.

Three of them – main-event winner Benson Henderson and co-main-event loser Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, as well as Elji Mitsuoka – could be out up to six months.

The UFC, which served as its own regulatory body for the overseas event, today confirmed the suspensions with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

UFC 144 took place this past Saturday, Feb. 26, at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. The main card aired on pay-per-view (on Feb. 25 due to the time difference), and FX and Facebook carried the prelims. Because no regulatory body was available, the UFC acted as its own under the direction of UFC executive and former Nevada State Athletic Commission head Marc Ratner.

Henderson, who defeated Frankie Edgar via decision to win the UFC lightweight title, is suspended 180 days due to possible hand and left-foot fractures. A doctor can clear him early, but regardless, he's suspended 45 days with no contact during training for 30 days for precautionary reasons.

Jackson's 180-day suspension is the result of a possible right-knee injury, though he, too, can be cleared early. Regardless, he's suspended 45 days with no contact for 30 days.

The same goes for Mitsuoka, who needs a his nose cleared to avoid a 180-day suspension. Regardless, he's also suspended 45 days with no contact for 30 days.

Receiving precautionary suspensions of 45 days (with no contact for 30 days) were Edgar, Joe Lauzon, Yushin Okami, Cheick Kongo and Tiequan Zhang.

Tim Boetsch was suspended 30 days with no contact for 21 days for precautionary reasons.