UFC 140: Jones/Machida

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
The place so nice they named it twice...new york,
My E-fed Sig

Theme: WCW
Colours: White Red Black
Person(s): Johnny Nitro, Sting, Raven, Randy Orton, Mr Kennedy
Text: World Coalition Wrestling
wcw3.gif

use this logo in the middle

Font: either Arial Or Verdana
Size: 700x400
Pics: Johnny Nitro, Sting, Raven, Randy Orton, Mr Kennedy
Name Placement: Center

Ben

Reaction score
UFC 140 will be LIVE! from the Air Canada Center in Toronto Canada on PPV.

Main Event:
205lbs: Jon Jones VS Lyota Machida

Main Card:
265lbs: Frank Mir (15-5) vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (33-6-1)
205lbs: Tito Ortiz (16-9-1) vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueria (19-5)
145lbs: The Korean Zombie (11-3) vs Mark Hominick (20-9)
170lbs: Rory MacDonald (12-1) vs Brian Ebersole (48-14-1-1)
155lbs: Nik Lentz (21-3-2-1) vs Mark Bocek (9-4)

Preliminary Card:

155lbs: John Makdessi (9-0) vs Dennis Hallman (50-14-2-1)
205lbs: Krzysztof Soszynski (26-11-1) vs Igor Pokrajac (23-8)
170lbs: Claude Patrick (14-1) vs Rich Attonito (10-4)
155lbs: John Cholish (7-1) vs Mitch Clarke (9-0)[/SIZE]
Davis/Machida was suppose to main event this card but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anymore. Still a good card with Big and Lil Nog both fighting.

Ben

Reaction score
Report: Jon Jones vs Rashad Evans targeted for UFC 140 on Dec. 10 in Toronto

The sooner, the better.
UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones versus division number one contender Rashad Evans could be the new main event for UFC 140 on Dec. 10, 2011, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, according to a report from MMA Fighting.
This marks the second time this year the promotion has attempted to pair them off to settle their longstanding feud.
Jones pulled out of was forced to withdraw from his title defense against "Suga" earlier this year to have surgery on his mangled thumb following his championship win over Mauricio Rua at UFC 128 last March.
Evans, who was torched by UFC President Dana White (and most of the mixed martial arts community) for waiting out his title shot against "Shogun" back in 2010, was pressured into decided to get back into action against former division champion Tito Ortiz at UFC 133 on Aug. 6 in Philadelphia while "Bones" was on the mend.
And before the ink was dry on the "Evans vs. Ortiz" contract, Jones re-emerged to announce he wouldn't be needing surgery after all and had agreed to defend his title against Quinton Jackson at UFC 135.

Good news as this gives this event a real solid main event.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Wow, this card looks sweet. If Jones/Rashad is on the card that'd be incredible.

Ben

Reaction score
Jones/Rashad is out NEW MAIN EVENT FOR THE SHOW IS......................

UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones will defend his 205-pound title in the main event of UFC 140, currently scheduled for Dec. 10, 2011, at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, according to UFC President Dana White's official Twitter account.
But it won't be against Rashad Evans.
That's because "Suga" recently had surgery to remove pins from his reconstructed hand following his UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz last August. The timing of the surgery, as well as the mandatory recuperation period, prohibited Evans from starting a training camp in time to make the Dec. 10 contest.
Enter "The Dragon."
Former division champion Lyoto Machida, who knows a thing or two about ruling the 205-pound roost, will bring his elusive style to try and combat the unorthodox offense of the lanky Jones, who to date has looked virtually unstoppable inside the cage.

Could see Machida pulling out the win here, thoroughest opponent for Bones so far.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah i don't even know who i would want to win, i like both guys really. Hard to say.

rhetts jetski

Reaction score
I think people will probably write off Machida going into this and I hope they do, because I think he'll definitely be Jones' toughest opponent yet. Definitely more interesting than the potential Evans fight. I read a report a few days before this was announced that had a quote from Dana, saying he was going to put Jones on the shelf for a few months as not to over expose him. I guess money talks, haha.

Ben

Reaction score
Press Conference Video From Today

[video=youtube;_CA84O3pVes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_CA84O3pVes[/video]

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Two bantamweight are looking to make it two in a row in December.

UFC officials today announced a 135-pound matchup pitting Canadian fighter Yves Jabouin (16-7 MMA, 1-1 UFC) against Texas native Walel Watson (9-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) for the preliminary card of UFC 140.

UFC 140 takes place Dec. 10 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Main-card action, including a title fight between light-heavyweight Jon Jones and Lyoto Machida, airs live on pay-per-view. Broadcast plans for the prelims have yet to be announced.

Jabouin most recently appeared south of the equator, where he narrowly outpointed Ian Loveland at UFC 134 in Brazil. The win put "The Tiger" back on the right track after a spectacular flying-triangle-choke submission loss to Pablo Garza at UFC 129, which marked his debut inside the octagon after a three-fight stint in the now-defunct WEC.

Watson, meanwhile, is fresh off a first-round blowout of Joseph Sandoval in his octagon debut at UFC on Versus 6. It took all of 77 seconds for the long and lanky Texan, nicknamed "The Gazelle," to pound out a TKO victory. Five of Watson's nine professional victories have come within the first round, and he's ended the majority of his fights by submission.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I always like watching Jon Jones fight so this is a must watch PPV for me. He always looks so calm and comfortable in the Octagon and it will take a lot to stop him. Should be a good fight against Machida but I don't see Jones losing his title here.

I had written Big Nog off before the Rio card but his KO of Schaub was impressive. I still expect Mir to win here.

Ortiz vs. Lil Nog will be an interesting fight. Ortiz has had a good run as of late and I wonder if he can continue that for one more fight.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
LAS VEGAS – Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir (15-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) will be facing Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (33-6-1 MMA, 4-2 UFC) for a second time when the pair meets at December's UFC 140 event.

And this time, Mir wants Nogueira at 100 percent.

After Mir dispatched of "Minotauro" in December 2008, post-fight discussion centered around a severe case of staph that left Nogueira far from his best in the second-round TKO. Mir doesn't want to hear that talk a second time around.

"[Nogueira] had a few issues before the fight that he felt really hampered his performance," Mir said during a special UFC 137 Fight Club Q&A. "So I feel that there's an opportunity for him to basically put up or shut up.

"He can come out and take another opportunity at it. I understand it. All fighters, we have issues going on before fights. It happens. But that's what rematches are for."

UFC 140, which features a light heavyweight title fight between current champ Jon Jones and former titleholder Lyoto Machida, takes place Dec. 10 at Toronto's Air Canada Centre.

Mir's comments were made without malice, but his emotions appeared sincere. He elaborated further on the situation when fans asked his opinion on original UFC 137 headliner Georges St-Pierre withdrawing from the event due to a pair of injuries suffered in training.

"I'll be honest with you," Mir said. "If I find out my opponent is severely injured and he's still going to show up, I don't want him to. I'd rather him pull out and replace him with somebody else. I don't want to face the guy injured. I've experienced that with the whole Nogueira rhetoric afterward. 'Well, he had staph and he had this.' I'll tell you from the other point of view, it sucks.

"'Yeah, you beat him, but.' That sucks. You have to perform, you get a victory, and people are like, 'Yeah, but the guy had a torn this, he had a broken this.' It's like, 'Then stay home. Put someone else in that's healthy and hungry. I'd rather fight him.'"

Mir has gone 3-2 since the first meeting with Nogueira, racking up wins over Roy Nelson, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic and Cheick Kongo while dropping title shots against Shane Carwin and Brock Lesnar.

Meanwhile, Nogueira is 2-1 since the first meeting, sandwiching a loss to Cain Velasquez between wins over Brendan Schaub and Randy Couture.

Oddsmakers have instilled Mir as a sizable favorite with a little more than a month remaining before the fight. Mir, of course, is confident in his chances at a repeat performance. He simply hopes Nogueira will take care of himself between now and Dec. 10.

"Certain injuries you have to evaluate," Mir said. "If you have a sore foot or your shin has a bruise on it, you fight. If you have a major injury, you have to pull out. At that point, I think you're kind of robbing the fans.

"If you walk out there, and you're so injured you can't even perform, and you're just basically out there stumbling around? I wouldn't want to pay money to a guy who's 20 percent to go out there perform. What questions does that answer? Then it kind of robs the other guy, too."

MMAJunkie.com

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Fair enough by Mir. Like he said this time around there can be no excuses after the fight if he wins. I expect Mir to win comfortably in this fight, he has beaten better opponents than Big Nog after their last fight and I don't think that Big Nog has it in him anymore.