UFC 137: Roy Nelson 'I'd Have to Cut Off A Leg To Make 205'

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
GYI0061256288.jpg
MMA Nation Senior Editor Luke Thomas had the opportunity to speak with UFC heavyweight Roy Nelson prior to his fight with Mirko Filipovic this weekend. Among the topics discussed, Luke asked Nelson if there was any possibility that he'd cut the weight down to 205 pounds and compete in the UFC's light heavyweight division. It's a decision that has been a talking point regarding Nelson, who clearly carries extra weight around his midsection which Quinton Jackson once described as "the moon". Nelson's response is kind of surprising but it shows that the decision may not be as simple as just a more stringent regiment of diet and exercise.

Luke Thomas: So let's say it came along, and I'm just throwing this out there, I'm not in any way suggesting that it could, I'm just offering it to you. Joe Silva calls you tomorrow and says, "Alright, I've got something completely out of the box for you Nelson. I want you to fight either Shogun or Jon Jones and if you beat Shogun then you get a shot at Jon Jones." I know you're tired of the 205 pound questions but is that so intriguing that it makes smart business and fighting sense for you?

Roy Nelson: I would ask you, "How much?" and then I'd need to figure out how much I could lose off of liposuction or getting amputated from cutting my leg off.

Luke Thomas: You sort of make the point in the same way Daniel Cormier does, there's just no realistic way of making that weight at least not in your own enthusiastic efforts but is it, I mean short of surgery, short of drastic means like gastric bypass, is it biologically for you to make it? Forget the will, forget all that other stuff. Is it biologically impossible short of surgery?

Roy Nelson: Biologically? I'd have to lose muscle. That's one thing people don't pay attention to is like I wouldn't do a gastric bypass but I'd have to literally cut off my leg and I'd be a one-legged 205-er but I'd still do pretty good.

There are some other quality quotes from Nelson in the interview who also talks about his most recent fight with Frank Mir and where he sees himself in the UFC's heavyweight division compared to his Ultimate Fighter season 10 castmates Matt Mitrione and Brendan Schaub. The full audio is in the post on Nation.

SBN coverage of UFC 137: Penn vs. Diaz