UFC 137 Results: B.J. Penn Releases Statement

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
BJ-Statement_large.jpg
After dropping a decision to Nick Diaz in the main event at UFC 137 and having his eye swollen up to grotesque proportions, B.J. Penn announced his retirement from MMA in an interview with Joe Rogan. Penn has talked about retirement many times before, and the moment seemed appropriate for that sort of announcement. But today he released a statement through his webpage BJPenn.com, and it might have opened the door to a return just a tiny bit:

"I want to thank all the fans for their love and support. I have decided to take some time off to enjoy life, train and teach. I will keep you guys posted with what's next."

- BJ Penn

"Take some time off" and "retire" are very different things. Could we see Penn back in the cage someday? He is definitely still a top guy in the sport and is only 32 years old, so it's possible. Whatever he decides to do, he's a surefire Hall of Famer. I wonder how long it will take for the UFC to jump on that idea.