UFC 137 Conference Call Recap: The Nick Diaz Circus Continues

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
nick-diaz-video_large.jpg
It was another wild and wacky day in the world of Nick Diaz. After famously being removed from the UFC 137 main event last month for no-showing two press conferences, many people were making jokes about Diaz not being on the line for today's conference call. And guess what? When it started, it was announced that Nick Diaz wasn't on the conference call and everyone was looking for him. It was a ludicrous beginning but it got very interesting later on because...he actually called in. And said no one had told him about the call until right then. Seriously.

Before Nick actually called in, it was just B.J. Penn and Matt Mitrione answering questions. Penn said he didn't mind Nick's antics and what matters is that he always shows up to fight. Mitrione said he's played football in front of 110,000 fans so co-main-eventing wasn't a big deal. No one even asked Cheick Kongo a question (poor Cheick). Then, the moment of glory - Nick Diaz called in. And the explanation for his tardiness was typically ridiculous and awesome (transcribed by MMA Nation):

"I didn't even know about a call," he said. "I woke up, my phone was dead and my brother told me that I was supposed to be on the call. I didn't get any notice. I didn't hear anything about it until about fifteen minutes ago.

"When should I have known about this press conference? Somebody should have gave me a call. I don't know who's talking to who. I didn't hear about it. Just like anything, I don't hear about this (expletive) until way late. I'm not sitting here on my thumbs waiting for a call, I'm waiting for training. I'm training hard, harder than these guys and that's why. That's what takes up all my time, training, becoming the best in the world."

Cesar Gracie, who knew about the call yesterday, said that he hadn't spoken to Nick since he found out. It seemed that the UFC might not have informed Nick directly, and Dana White at least corroborated some of that by tweeting "'I'm hearing UFC dropped the ball on the Nick Diaz no show today!! SUCKS" shortly before he called in. But Dave Sholler, UFC Director of Communications, says he had talked to Cesar Gracie about it. As usual when it comes to Nick Diaz, it was a weird and convoluted situation.

Once he was finally on the call he quickly went on a classic Diaz rant, and he also discussed his regrets for missing the September press conferences that cost him a title shot, while B.J Penn continued to say it was all amusing. You can catch that and more after the jump.

It was another wild and wacky day in the world of Nick Diaz. After famously being removed from the UFC 137 main event last month for no-showing two press conferences, many people were making jokes about Diaz not being on the line for today's conference call. And guess what? When it started, it was announced that Nick Diaz wasn't on the conference call and everyone was looking for him. It was a ludicrous beginning but it got very interesting later on because...he actually called in. And said no one had told him about the call until right then. Seriously.

Before Nick actually called in, it was just B.J. Penn and Matt Mitrione answering questions. Penn said he didn't mind Nick's antics and what matters is that he always shows up to fight. Mitrione said he's played football in front of 110,000 fans so co-main-eventing wasn't a big deal. No one even asked Cheick Kongo a question (poor Cheick). Then, the moment of glory - Nick Diaz called in. And the explanation for his tardiness was typically ridiculous and awesome (transcribed by MMA Nation):

"I didn't even know about a call," he said. "I woke up, my phone was dead and my brother told me that I was supposed to be on the call. I didn't get any notice. I didn't hear anything about it until about fifteen minutes ago.

"When should I have known about this press conference? Somebody should have gave me a call. I don't know who's talking to who. I didn't hear about it. Just like anything, I don't hear about this (expletive) until way late. I'm not sitting here on my thumbs waiting for a call, I'm waiting for training. I'm training hard, harder than these guys and that's why. That's what takes up all my time, training, becoming the best in the world."

Cesar Gracie, who knew about the call yesterday, said that he hadn't spoken to Nick since he found out. It seemed that the UFC might not have informed Nick directly, and Dana White at least corroborated some of that by tweeting "'I'm hearing UFC dropped the ball on the Nick Diaz no show today!! SUCKS" shortly before he called in. But Dave Sholler, UFC Director of Communications, says he had talked to Cesar Gracie about it. As usual when it comes to Nick Diaz, it was a weird and convoluted situation.

Once he was finally on the call he quickly went on a classic Diaz rant, and he also discussed his regrets for missing the September press conferences that cost him a title shot, while B.J Penn continued to say it was all amusing. You can catch that and more after the jump.

Here's Nick talking about regrets... or something:

"Of course I have regret," he shot back. "I regret I have people who are supposed to take care of stuff. I have a lawyer or whatever, people get paid something like 100 grand -- I don't know -- a ridiculous amount of money."

"I've got all these business people and big money people around me trying to make deals, and I don't know anything about that. All I know is that somebody is getting paid over 100 grand just to tell me what I'm supposed to do and not supposed to do, and I'm thinking for that much money, I could have had somebody standing around telling me, 'Hey, you can't miss this press conference. That voids the whole contract, and then you're out. You ain't gettin' (expletive). You ain't fighting' (expletive). You ain't makin' no money, so you have to be at this thing. It's simple."

On facing B.J. Penn:

No, I'm not happy about it at all. I'm fighting this guy who was my friend. I was supposed to fighting this other guy. That's kind of just how I feel.

On the highly-prized Strikeforce belt he currently owns:

I don't care about the Strikeforce belt. I never even put it on. B.J. can have it.

And on the push for a five-round fight that his manager was touting yesterday:

It's whatever. It's really not up to me. Either way is fine.