UFC 135 Results Recap: Mark Hunt vs. Ben Rothwell

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
09_Rothwell_Hunt_01_large.jpg
In the second heavyweight fight on the PPV card of UFC 135: Jones vs. Rampage, former K-1 Grand Prix champion Mark Hunt faced former IFL champion Ben Rothwell. Expectations for a quick Rothwell submission win, or a Hunt KO win did not come to pass, as instead Hunt managed to outlast Rothwell for a unanimous decision victory. With this win, Hunt moves up to a 2-1 UFC record. Rothwell drops his 2nd in a row, and is now 1-2 in the UFC.

The fight was one that is sure to divide fans. If you are a fan of pure technique, this one may not have been your fit. But if you like fights with drama and heart shown, then these two men delivered. After a tough first round, Hunt came back strong in the 2nd, using his superior striking to slow down Rothwell considerably and open up a big cut over his eye. By the 3rd round, both men were exhausted. At times, Rothwell seemed out on his feet, but a tired Hunt could not close the show, and ended up using a combination of striking and ground and pound to get the unanimous decision win.

What was the high spot of this fight?

The sight of Mark Hunt going for an armbar to close out the 2nd round got the bar cheering wildly. Great moment there, even if he didn't get it done.

Where do these guys go from here?

Mark Hunt was on such a losing streak that it's a shock to see him score back to back wins, but here we are. With this win, he should earn another PPV slot against a respectable opponent in the division. I'd love to see him against Travis Browne myself, but other options would be any of the other Heavyweight kickboxers, including Pat Barry, Cheick Kongo, or Mirko CroCop.

Rothwell showed heart, but a definite lack of conditioning. That will to keep going may keep his job alive, as Dana White loves these kinds of fights. But at 1-2, I could also see him getting cut. Realistically, he probably could use a win or two on the regional circuit to get himself back on track before coming back to the UFC.

Watch it now, later, or never?

Later. Some loved it, some hated it. Personally, I admit I am a biased Mark Hunt fan, and the emotion of this fight live may give way to the sloppiness and conditioning issues on rewatching, but I thought this was a very enjoyable and gutsy fight.

More BE coverage of UFC 135 in the full entry.

UFC 135 Results: Time to Embrace Underutilized Lighter Weight Classes - Brent Brookhouse

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/9/2...-embrace-underutilized-lighter-weight-classes

UFC 135 Results: Will Rashad Evans Spoil the Jon Jones Era? - Fraser Coffeen

UFC 135 Results: Dana White Expects Matt Hughes to Retire - Mike Fagan

UFC 135 Results: Two Heavyweight Fights On PPV A Big Mistake - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 135 Results: Jon Jones Says Rashad Evans Doesn't Have His Number - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 135 Results: Jon Jones vs. Anderson Silva Isn't Happening - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 135 Results: Jon Jones vs. Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson Post-Fight Recap and Analysis - Mike Fagan

UFC 135: Jones vs. Rampage Results - Event Doesn't Provide Enough Bang for the Buck - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 135 Results: Jon Jones vs. Rampage Jackson Fight Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena

UFC 135 Results: Matt Hughes vs. Josh Koscheck Fight Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena

UFC 135 Post-Fight Press Conference Coverage - Tim Burke

UFC 135 Results: Jon Jones Limping Backstage After Dominating Rampage Jackson - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 135 Results: Jon Jones Forces Rampage Jackson to Tap Out - Matthew Roth

UFC 135: Jones vs. Rampage - Live Results and Play-By-Play for Main Card - Bloody Elbow

UFC 135 Results: Josh Koscheck Knocks Out Matt Hughes, Doesn't Retire Him - Matthew Roth

UFC 135 Results: Mark Hunt Picks Up A Decision In A Grueling Fight - Matthew Roth

UFC 135 Results: Travis Browne Defeats Rob Broughton by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth

UFC 135 Results: Nate Diaz Forces Takanori Gomi to Tap By Armbar - Matthew Roth

UFC 135 Results: Tony Ferguson Breaks Aaron Riley's Jaw In The First - Matthew Roth

UFC 135: Jones vs. Rampage - Live Results and Play-By-Play for Spike TV Prelims - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 135 Results: Tim Boetsch Gives Nick Ring His First Career Loss - Matthew Roth

UFC 135 Results: Junior Assuncao Fails to Impress with Win Over Eddie Yagin - Matthew Roth

UFC 135: Jones vs. Rampage - Live Results and Play-By-Play for Facebook Prelims - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 135 Results: Takeya Mizugaki Ends Cole Escovedo With A Knockout - Matthew Roth

UFC 135 Results: James Te Huna Ends Ricardo Romero's Night By KO - Matthew Roth