UFC 135: Rampage VS Jones

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ben

Reaction score
UFC 135 will be LIVE! on Saturday, September 24th 2011 from the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado.
UFC-135-new.jpg

UFC_135_Jones_vs_Rampage.jpg

Main Event:

Lightheavyweight championship: Jon Jones (13-1) vs Rampage Jackson (32-8)

Main Card:

170lbs: Matt Hughes (45-8) vs Josh Koscheck (15-5)
155lbs: Takanori Gomi (32-7) vs Nate Diaz (13-7)
265lbs: Ben Rothwell (31-7) vs Mark Hunt (6-7)
265lbs: Travis Browne (11-0-1) vs Rob Broughton (15-5-1)

Preliminary Card:(Airing on Spike TV)

185lbs: Nick Ring (12-0) vs Tim Boetsch (13-4)
155lbs: Tony Ferguson (11-2) Aaron Riley (30-12-1)

Preliminary Card:(Airing on Facebook)

135lbs: Cole Escovedo (17-7) vs Takyea Mizugaki (14-6-2)
145lbs: Junior Assunção (12-4) vs Eddie Yagin (15-4-1)
205lbs: James Te-Huna (12-5) vs Ricardo Romero (11-2)​

OMR

Reaction score
jones > rampage

Ben

Reaction score
manny-gamburyan1_display_image.jpg
Manny Gamburyan has suffered a shoulder injury while training for his UFC 135 fight against Diego Nunes and has been forced to pull out, as he announced on his Twitter:
"I'm of from the UFC 135 card I hurt my shoulder and MRI is not looking good I just wanna say sorry to I'll my friends and fans I'll bf back!"
No word yet on a potential replacement opponent for Nunes but we'll pass that along just as soon as it becomes available

Prelim fight so I'm not to bothered sure they'll find someone decent to take the spot.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Just weeks before UFC light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones' first title defense and Quinton Jackson's first opportunity to reclaim his lost title, a behind-the-scenes drama has spilled into the public.

Jackson has accused Jones' camp of infiltrating a private, Denver-area facility where he's sequestered himself in preparation for their headlining fight at UFC 135. He said he's proven there's a spy in his midst.

Jackson (32-8 MMA, 7-2 UFC) and manager Anthony McGann believe Jones (13-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) is scared to fight and looking for a way out.

Jones' manager, Malki Kawa, denies he's used any underhanded tactics in the buildup to the Sept. 24 pay-per-view event and counters that Jackson is using spying allegations to excuse an imminent loss.

Whatever the case may be, the allegations have added a bizarre twist to the buildup of UFC 135, which takes place at Denver's Pepsi Center.

Dubbed "Spygate" by a report Monday on Yahoo! Sports, the drama unfolded this past past week when Jackson's manager got a call from UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, who was in Rio de Janeiro for UFC 134, asking whether the former champ had injured his hand in training. The original source of the inquiry? Kawa.

The injury, Jackson and McGann said, was fake – a ruse designed to ferret out a leak in his camp. Silva's call, they said, came almost immediately after they circulated the information to the suspected spy, and the wording they used to describe the injury was identical to the UFC matchmaker's words. (A separate hand injury Jackson complained about following his unanimous-decision victory over Matt Hamill at UFC 130 was merely a sprain, McGann said.)

Weeks prior, Jackson said Kawa had bragged to a trusted associate that he knew the inner-workings of the camp.

"As soon as I got enough proof in my head that there was somebody in my camp talking, I faked the injury, and what happened was what I was hoping would happen," Jackson told MMAjunkie.com on Monday. "The dumb person would say something, and we'd find out. And sure enough, four hours later, [Malki] called Joe Silva, and Joe Silva rang my manager."

Before that, Jackson said he wasn't sure whether it was a spy or the crosstalk common among elite-level fighters, training partners and production crews associated with the UFC. He suspected that someone may have told Rashad Evans of a bad knee injury he sustained in preparation for their fight at UFC 114, where Evans repeatedly targeted the afflicted knee during the fight. Evans told Yahoo! Sports he simply did it because he noticed it caused Jackson discomfort.

Jackson disagreed.

"I know why he was punching me in the knee – because my knee was injured," he said. "It wasn't a coincidence."

When his spying allegations went public, Kawa denied anyone from Jones' camp had been spying and said the call to Silva came after a friend told him Jackson had Tweeted about an injured hand.

Jackson @Rampage4realchuckles at that suggestion that Twitter is the source of the information.

"Maybe he meant to say 'text' and not 'Tweet,'" he said. "Do me a favor. Have anybody out there who's on Twitter (go and) search Twitter to see if they can find anything on Twitter with my name on it ... and see if there's any Tweets about me having a hand injury, that I'm out for this upcoming fight because we searched it, and we found nothing.

"Come on. Think about it. If that was on Twitter, that would have been big news. Me pulling out of the fight with Jon Jones? That would have been big news already. So you can just tell that he's lying, he's full of [expletive], and he's dumb."

Kawa today told MMAjunkie.com he didn't want to feed into what he called a "non-story," though he insisted that he heard about Jackson's alleged hand injury through a friend and said the accusations are a smokescreen for problems within his camp.

"I promise to God, I have no spy in that camp," Kawa told Yahoo! Sports. "It's completely and totally untrue. There is nothing to it at all. It’s funny he said that, though, because we've heard he has had old training partners of Jon coming in to work with him.

"We don't care, and it's kind of hilarious he's doing this. But I can guarantee you there is nothing at all that is true about this other than that I called Joe Silva after someone put out a thing on Twitter that 'Rampage' was injured and pulling out. I wanted to know what was up, but it was no more than that."

But Jackson pondered where Kawa had heard about his training partners if there wasn't a spy in the picture. He declined to comment on what actions his camp had taken since the call from Silva, though McGann said training partners from the camp recently have been let go.

"All I will say is that where has the honor gone in fighting?" Jackson asked. "Where has it gone? Where has the respect for battle gone? To me, this shows fear. I don't think the UFC should be involved because I don't really care. I'm just think the fans should know what's going on. I keep it real. I don't pull [expletive] back.

"I just think it shows character. I don't know if Jon Jones has anything to do with it. Who cares. I didn't say Jon Jones called Joe Silva. His manager called. It just makes his client look bad. What your manager does reflects on you as a fighter. I've had managers that have done some stupid [expletive], and it's reflected on me. (They) asked for weird stuff that I didn't ask for. Sometimes, you can't control what your manager does, but it does reflect on you."

Nevertheless, Jackson said the incident has motivated him to train harder for the fight.

"I'm OK with them having a spy in camp," he said. "I'm picturing the spy telling them all the good stuff too, about how hard I'm training and how good I'm looking. Because he should be prepared to get the [expletive] beat out of him, actually."

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Two fights have been selected for next month's UFC 135 "UFC Prelims" special on Spike TV.

MMAjunkie.com has confirmed that the one-hour pay-per-view teaser will feature middleweights Nick Ring (12-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) vs. Tim Boetsch (13-4 MMA, 4-3 UFC) and lightweights Tony Ferguson (11-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) vs. Aaron Riley (30-12-1 MMA, 3-4 UFC).

UFC 135 takes place Sept. 24 at Denver's Pepsi Center.

The night's main card airs on pay-per-view, and the remaining prelims are expected to stream on Facebook.

Ring looks to continue his undefeated streak and pick up his 13th straight victory. The Canadian-based fighter recently scored a submission victory over James Head at UFC 131 for his eighth stoppage victory in 13 career wins. Ring, who competed on "The Ultimate Fighter 11" (but was forced out of the tournament early due to a knee injury), is 2-0 since the subsequent 15-month layoff. In addition to the Head victory, the onetime Bellator fighter scored a controversial unanimous-decision victory over Riki Fukuda at UFC 127.

Boetsch, meanwhile, looks to continue some recent success since a return to the UFC (following a 2-2 run in his first stint) and a drop from light heavyweight to middleweight. Recently, the former IFL fighter and collegiate wrestler has sandwiched UFC wins over Todd Brown and Kendall Grove around a loss to Phil Davis. He's now 5-1 over his past six fights.

Ferguson competes for the first time since knocking our Ramsey Nijem to win "The Ultimate Fighter 13" earlier this year. The former NCAA Division II national wrestling champion has now won four straight fights and seven of his past eight.

Riley returns to the cage for the first time 16 months. He most recently bested Joe Brammer on points at UFC 114. Since returning to the promotion in late 2008, he has alternated between wins and losses in five appearances.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
[video=youtube;w5Beh6fEJVs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Beh6fEJVs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Pretty awesome video right here hyping the fight.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Diego Sanchez (23-4 MMA, 12-4 UFC) has been forced to withdraw from a planned UFC 135 co-headlining matchup with Matt Hughes (45-8 MMA, 18-6 UFC).

UFC president Dana White today announced the move via Twitter.

"Diego Sanchez broke his hand," White wrote. "Looking for a replacement for Hughes."

UFC 135 takes place Sept. 24 at Denver's Pepsi Center. A title fight between light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson headlines the pay-per-view main card.

A timeframe for Sanchez's return to action wasn't announced.

Earlier this year, Sanchez picked up his second straight win with a close but highly competitive unanimous-decision victory over Martin Kampmann at March's UFC on Versus 3 event. "The Ultimate Fighter 1" middleweight winner and recent lightweight competitor returned to his more natural welterweight division in 2010 and suffered an uninspired decision loss to John Hathaway. However, he's since rebounded with wins over Paulo Thiago and Kampmann that both earned "Fight of the Night" awards.

Meanwhile, Hughes hasn't fought since November 2010, when he suffered a quick, 21-second knockout to B.J. Penn. Hughes, who long had been considered the best welterweight in MMA history, briefly contemplated retirement in 2008 following back-to-back losses to Georges St-Pierre and Alves. However, while fighting only occasionally, the UFC Hall of Famer had put together a three-fight win streak with wins victories Matt Serra, Renzo Gracie and Ricardo Almeida before the recent Penn loss.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
A bantamweight bout between Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto (18-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and Damacio Page (15-6 MMA, 0-1 UFC) has been scratched from next month's UFC 135 event.

Both fighters suffered injuries in the lead-up to the fight.

UFC 135 takes place Sept. 24 at Denver's Pepsi Center. The night's main card, including light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, airs on pay-per-view.

Yamamoto vs. Page was slated for a part of the preliminary card that's expected to stream on Facebook.

Yamamoto made his long-awaited UFC debut earlier this year and suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Demetrious Johnson at UFC 126. The K-1 HERO'S and DREAM vet now is just 1-3 in his past four fights following a seven-year, 14-fight win streak in Japan. Yamamoto, who was slated to fight Chris Cariaso at UFC 130, has now pulled out of two straight fights.

Page, who competed in the WEC prior to the organization's merger with the UFC earlier this year, closed out his WEC career with a submission loss to Johnson and then was tapped out again during his UFC debut, which came in a UFC on Versus 3 bout with ex-champ Brian Bowles back in March. The Greg Jackson-trained fighter had won seven of eight bouts before the back-to-back losses.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
With Diego Sanchez (23-4 MMA, 12-4 UFC) out of his UFC5 13 fight with Matt Hughes (45-8 MMA, 18-6 UFC) due a broken hand, Josh Koscheck (15-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) has accepted the fight. Now, Koscheck must wait to see if Hughes will accept the change in opponent. Koscheck has been on the shelf since his December title loss to welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre. In that fight, he suffered a broken orbital bone. UFC 135 takes place Sept. 24 at Denver's Pepsi Center with the following card

MMAJunkie.com

Ben

Reaction score
Hughes is done IMO so Koscheck beats him here, just hope Hughes has a good showing and doesn't get KO'd in the first 10 seconds ala the Penn fight.