UFC 133 Results: UFC's Matt Hamill Reportedly Says He Will Retire

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
20090208042031_matthamill_JPG_large.jpg
Matt Hamill was brutalized in the second round of his fight with Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 133. Following the TKO loss it looks like Hamill will be retiring from the sport of mixed martial arts. Hamill lost his last two fights, in addition to the Gustafsson loss he dropped a decision to Quinton Jackson at UFC 130.

Cincinnati.com has the story on Hamill's decision to step away:

HE SAYS HE'S DONE AND THAT'S GOOD. Local UFC man made good, Matt Hamill, Loveland HS grad, is going to retire. That's a good and wise move, given he has lost his last 2 fights. The one Saturday night was especially horrific. Matt was taken down in the 2nd period and blasted repeatedly in the face and head. By the time the ref stopped the bout, Matt was defenseless. I know lots of people enjoy this sport. But when a guy you know is getting brutalized, it's absolutely the worst thing I've ever witnessed.

Matt will be OK. He has a gym in Utica, NY, is part owner of a new sports bar, I believe, and has had a movie done on his life.

I'm very glad he's done with ultimate fighting. No disrespect to those who practice it and follow it, but it's way over the top brutal and, to me, senseless.

Obviously that last sentence will get MMA fan anger flowing, but let's focus on the matter at hand.

Hamill was an interesting story, a deaf man who wrestled at a high level before finding his way to the UFC by way of The Ultimate Fighter. He steps away with an 8-4 record in the world's most elite MMA promotion including wins over names like Keith Jardine, Tito Ortiz and Jon Jones (hey, that still counts as a win).

Some people may feel that he is stepping away too soon, but it is nice to see someone step away from a sport when they feel the time is right.

Maybe he'll find the desire for competition too overwhelming and ends up in the cage again eventually. But for now, it appears The Hammer is done.