UFC 132 Fight Card: Melvin Guillard Talks Roller, Cormier, and Much More

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
UFCLightweightMelvinGuillard2_large.jpg
UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard did a long interview with our friend Matthew Roth over at HeadKickLegend, and it's really good. Matt gets Melvin to open up about a variety of things including his thoughts on his UFC 132 fight with Shane Roller, his place in the lightweight division, particular fights from his past and a lot more. He starts off with a couple of questions about training and Jackson's MMA, and Melvin responds with a bit of a curious statement in terms of why he lives away from Albuquerque:

Melvin: I would never live in Albuquerque because a lot of the guys that actually live here, they train hard but they don’t go above and beyond sometimes to do the extra stuff. The guys who come here from out of town, we take full advantage of all the opportunities that Albuquerque has to offer as far as training.

I really don't think he is intentionally taking a shot at his teammates there, it's just the way he worded it that could be taken the wrong way. After he answers questions about where he thinks he should be ranked in the lightweight division (he's still talking up a lightweight grand prix as much as possible) and discusses his fights with Nate Diaz and Roger Huerta, Matt asks him about his longtime beef with Rich Clementi and whether they squashed it:

Melvin: Well, I haven’t seen Rich in years and I really don’t care for the guy. I think back home that a lot of people that thought the guy was a legit guy are starting to see otherwise like I was always complaining about in the past. He’s just a real sneaky guy. I don’t really care, it’s just another person in the past that’s behind me. My life is great now so I don’t need to bash anybody else. Whatever he’s off doing, he’s off doing. I doubt that he’s ever going to be successful in the UFC but whatever’s going on in his life is on him. But I know what’s going on in mine and I’m just gonna stay focused on trying to stay positive.

When asked about Roller's excellent wrestling possibly being the deciding factor in the fight, Guillard went on the offensive:

Melvin: Well that tells me that a lot of you guys don’t do your homework. I’m a Division 1 state wrestler out of Louisiana. I wrestled 14 years, I went to Nationals two years in a row. My cousin is Daniel Cormier who wrestled in the Olympics and he was one of my coaches for Team Louisiana. I have a very strong wrestling background. I come from a wrestling family.

Daniel Cormier's his cousin? That was news to me. Melvin goes on to discuss more about Cormier, not fighting on the New Orleans card, his weight cut, and much more. It's truly the best interview I've ever seen from Guillard, and he comes across very mature and focused on his career. It's a great read, so head over to HeadKickLegend to catch the rest and give your boy Matt some props.