UFC 131 Tickets Not Moving Well in Vancouver

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
rogers_arena_large.jpg
With just three days to go before UFC 131, things are not looking good in terms of ticket sales. A lot of it is out of the hands of the UFC though. They couldn't count on the Vancouver Canucks playing a Stanley Cup Final home game the night before in the same arena as UFC 131 is running (Rogers Arena); they obviously couldn't count on Brock Lesnar pulling out; and with no local fighters to root for, it's tougher for a Vancouver crowd to get into the spirit of things now that the novelty has worn off. The Vancouver Sun addressed this in an article this morning:

"It’s certainly not typical, this is one of the lowest-priced UFC events," said Glenn Lehrman, the head of communications for the popular ticket re-sale site StubHub. "It’s a great deal to go to a UFC fight."

The article states that Stubhub still has 1200 tickets for the event, which is pretty crazy. For UFC 115, they had barely any and they were marked up. As a resident of Vancouver that's been considering going to the event, I did some searching around this morning - I can get pretty good seats for under 100 bucks, and nosebleeds for under 40. But like most fans, whether I attend or not is solely based on one other factor - hockey.

If the Canucks can manage to finish the Boston Bruins in 5 games (a BIG if - they're up 2-1 in the series, with game 4 tonight and game 5 Friday), I believe that sales for the UFC 131 event will pick up a fair amount. If not though, the event is likely to have a poor turnout. The article sells it as "good news for UFC fans" but in this city, most UFC fans are hockey fans as well. With the Canucks still contending, the focus is all on them and the UFC is an afterthought.