UFC 131 Fight Card: The Team Behind the 'New' Kenny Florian

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
kenny-florian_large.jpg
As we head into UFC 131 which features Kenny Florian's featherweight debut against Diego Nunes, we've discussed Florian's unusual journey from 185lbs (middleweight) in his UFC debut at 145lbs. Now thanks to Jonathan Snowden at SBNation, we have a little more information on exactly how he's transforming his body.

He's brought in Jonathan Chaimberg, of the Adrenaline Performance Center in Montreal as his strength and conditioning coach:

"He's the guy in charge of making sure I'm in top physical form for my fights," Florian said. "He's also the guy responsible for making sure I'm making improvements. That I'm getting stronger, that I'm getting faster, that I'm getting more flexible. And that my work load capacity is better for every single camp. That's one thing Jonathan Chaimberg has been great -making me stronger in places where I wasn't strong before. I've become a much, much better athlete since hooking up with him."
"Everybody is different. I'm not a classical coach who has everyone do the same things," Chaimberg said. "Kenny's main focus now is strength. Up until this camp he wasn't someone who would wow you in the gym. He wasn't that physically strong - great technique and great skills, but not very powerful. Against some guys, he could get away with it. Against Gray Maynard, who is a great wrestler and also very strong, it's a tough match-up. So we focused on getting Kenny supremely strong and powerful for this fight. Putting on a lot of good muscle. His body is completely different. He's put on a lot of solid muscle. His strength is at a place where I would be impressed even if he was fighting at 155. At 145 it's unreal."

Florian has also brought in dietitian George Lockhart :

"(Florian) and Lockhart hit it off immediately. "He agreed that 145 was very possible. I always want to investigate everything I do, so I asked him "how?" and "why?" I'm pretty knowledgeable about nutrition and the things he was saying weren't just B.S. This was a guy who was extremely knowledgeable and knew what he was doing."

We'll find out Saturday how successful Florian's transformation has been.