UFC 131 Fight Card: Kenny Florian Talks Diego Nunes, Drop to 145

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
kenny_florian_large.jpg
Trivia question - has anyone ever competed in four different divisions in the UFC? I'm not 100% sure, but I think Kenny Florian might be first. After competing on the first season of The Ultimate Fighter as a middleweight and losing to Diego Sanchez in the finals, he competed at 170 for two bouts. Then lightweight for 12. Now it's down to featherweight, and a matchup with Diego Nunes at UFC 131 this Saturday. Kenny recently did a video interview with MMADiehards where addresses the drop to 145, and the answer might surprise you a bit:

Interviewer: "Is this more to 145 more for Kenny Florian the fighter career-wise, or is this a move to become a champion?"

Florian: "I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to be a champion in this sport. I think anyone who's competing in mixed martial arts should be doing this because they want to be the best. They want to be the best they can be, but they want to be a champion. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't in it to be a champion. But, a couple of things is what brought me to 145. At 155, I wanted to face the best guys and schedule-wise, or guys didn't want to take the fight, and it was just a little frustrating for me because I'm at the point of my career were I don't want to fight some regular Joe Schmo at 155, I wanted to fight one of the best. I started thinking if I went down to 145, could I fight one of the top guys and put myself in a position to fight for the belt, and the answer was yes. But I wanted to fight a top guy and not just a regular guy, and I have this with Diego Nunes."

He goes on to talk about his brother Keith Florian and how he believes Tri-Star is the best gym to train at right now, how his experience edge over Nunes will be a big factor in the fight, and more. You can catch the whole video after the jump.