UFC 130 Fight Card: Travis Browne Says Boxing an Art Form, MMA Still Raw

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
travis-browne_large.jpg
Undefeated UFC heavyweight Travis Browne (10-0-1, 1-0-1 UFC) has his third UFC bout this Saturday against Dutch big man Stefan Struve (21-4, 5-2 UFC) at UFC 130. The two goliaths -- Browne is 6'7" and Struve is 6'11" -- should give the Octagon everything it can handle.

Browne spoke to SBNation's Luke Thomas about a number of topics but I thought this was the most interesting quote:

Luke: Here's the thing, I like boxing as much as I like MMA, but so many fans of mixed martial arts or boxing can't stand the other sport. In your mind, why is it that fans of MMA hate boxing and vice versa?

Travis: I think people in the MMA world don't like boxing because it's not as exciting as MMA because you don't get big slams. A lot of the times you don't get a great knockout finish because boxing is more of an art form than MMA is now. I think MMA is still in its infancy stage of where it's going to be and I think boxers have been able to take their sport and seriously make it an art form. At the highest level, there are so many guys who are great boxers because they know the angles and they know how to box. MMA is still raw and exciting because you have so many different martial arts coming into the cage so right now you still get a wrestler vs a striker. I think as we start to see the sport evolve with fighters like Georges St. Pierre, Jon Jones and Frankie Edgar and basically a lot of the champs, they've really been able to mix it up. One of my favorites is Dominick Cruz, a training partner of mine. But now the thing is, people are starting to bag on those champions because they've been able to confuse their opponent and dominate them. We're not talking about these huge big knockouts but we're talking about domination and thats where I think our sport it starting to grow.

Is Browne prophesying an era of ever less entertaining MMA? Is it inevitable that the sport will become less action packed and thrilling as the skill level of the athletes improve?