UFC 130 Fight Card: Matt Hamill and Duff Holmes Talk Rampage, Jon Jones Rematch

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
20090208042031_matthamill_large.jpg
MMAMania's Adam Wagner recently conducted a great interview with UFC 130 main eventer Matt Hamill and his coach Duff Holmes, which covered his UFC 130 matchup with Quinton Jackson and a possible rematch with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. Even though Hamill ended up getting the W over Jones due to a disqualification, "The Hammer" feels that there is some unfinished business to eventually take care of. His coach also feels like a win over Rampage would offer more career progression than a win over former opponent Phil Davis. In fact, Hamill's camp actively went after the Rampage fight despite the prior booking, according to Matt:

"Well, actually, yeah. I really wanted it. It all happened when Duff, my trainer, he found out that Thiago Silva's not fighting, so it was a good opportunity for me to step in at a higher level. We wanted to fight anyone in the higher level -- the top 10. The higher the level it is, the more motivated I get."

Holmes described how even started talking trash to Rampage to goad him into accepting the bout:

"(Matt) doesn't blame Rampage for wanting Rashad and wanting to fight the top guys in the division. He's been doing that. But when (Matt) found out that Rashad was hurt and that he could get a shot against Rampage, that's when he actually -- for the first time ever (in his career) -- he went out and said, ‘I'll break Rampage's will,' and ‘I can beat Rampage.' That's the first time he's ever talked like that. He did it just so he could put a little pressure on Rampage, because he actually figured that Rampage probably wouldn't want to take the fight."

After some talk about how Hamill believes he's more well-rounded than Rampage and where he's doing his training, the topic switches to Jon Jones, specifically his ridiculous reach advantage:

"I know Jon Jones is more like a long spider. Spider legs and all that. ... But I fought him. I still have unfinished business with him. So if I fight him, I'll redeem myself and not make another mistake. He's the first fighter to ever take me down, and it gave me a little wakeup call. This time, I got my hips ready and my feet ready; my feet are nailed to the ground, and I'm back to a wrestling base."

The interview also covers a fair amount about how one of Hamill's mentors, 1960 Olympic wrestling gold medalist Doug Blubaugh, passed away last week and the inspiration Matt gets from that. In addition, there's a bunch of stuff about Matt's upcoming documentary, Hamill as well. It's definitely worth a few minutes of your time. You can read the rest of it here.