TWIQ: MMA Quotes for the Week of July 31 - August 6

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
10_Fedor_Henderson_15_large.jpg
HERB DEAN OF MEAN THE REFEREE MACHINE

"I saw Dan hit Fedor with a shot, Fedor fell down flat on his face, face down, his palms were facing up and I saw Dan continuing to punch." - Herb Dean, the third man in the cage with Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson. Dean stopped the bout at 4:12 of round 1. (MMA Fighting)

"He hit him with, I believe, three punches, and I didn't see Fedor doing any movement. It seemed to me he was unconscious." - Dean

"I can't predict how long he's going to be unconscious for." - Dean. This is the best justification I've seen for stepping in. (MMA Junkie)

"I stepped in to support [Fedor] once he stood up because his balance was still not totally there. I believe his motor control was still questionable." - Dean. When you saw only one set of footprints, it was Herb Dean who carried you.

"If I was to do it again – if I see a fighter face down receiving shots, I'm going to step in and stop the fight." - Dean

JOE FRAZIER'S FROM PHILLY BUT THEY GAVE A STATUE TO A FICTIONAL CHARACTER

"He can say, ‘this is my Rocky moment and I'm inspired by Rocky' all that he wants to. ‘Rocky' was a movie, man." - Rashad Evans, who played the part of Clubber Lang because, you know, he's black or something. (Las Vegas Sun)

"Before I had to talk so much smack on the guy I was fighting. ... I don’t need to sell the fight by talking smack on the other guy. My name will sell the fight." - Tito Ortiz. The last time his name was on the marquee, Ortiz sold 375,000 PPV buys. (Sherdog)

"He's not one of the greatest ever; he did great in Pride but he chose not to come to the UFC and he never fought in the UFC." - Ortiz, on, you guessed it, Ikuhisa Minowa. (ESPN)

"I'm not on the Tito hype train yet, man. I was excited to see him get that win because he got to stay in the UFC but at the same time, I'm not like... I'm not buying it, man. ... I don't know how that make you back just because you've got one win in five years." - Evans. I mean, hey, Vitor Belfort's "back" after every victory. (MMA Fighting)

THE WEEK IN CHAEL

"I'm not in on the selling side of things. There's a few guys that are, you know, that are actually, they're in on the pay-per-view. You got a guy like Brock Lesnar or Quinton Jackson, there's a few guys who actually have an interest in selling a match." - Chael Sonnen (Sherdog)

"I don't even like the concept, I don't even like to say it as we sit here now because I feel it's dishonest. I feel if you are trying to get somebody to purchase something from you even if it's a fight, and you misrepresented why it is you're fighting or what the conflict is, I just find that's dishonest." - Sonnen

"Brian and I, again to use your words of selling a fight, we don't have to have a conflict to sell the fight, it's a number one contenders match." - Sonnen

"I'm not going out to fight Brian Stann, I'm going out to compete with him. I'm going to bring my skills, he'll bring his skills, we'll shake hands and live with the result either way." - Sonnen (Fight Day)

HONEST SELF-REFLECTION

"If I look at the fights, if I break each of the three fights. Every one of them was forgivable in a way." - Dan Hardy, on his three fight losing streak. (MMA Mania)

"GSP is the champ. He's one of the best in the world and that was a fight where I just went in and gave it my best." - Hardy. All right, fair enough.

"The Condit fight was just my arrogance got the better of me and I just got caught there and it was my own fault." - Hardy. OK, we're moving on to the Chuck Liddell "I just got caught" excuse. It's the only knockout on your ledger, so you still got some miles on that thing.

"The Anthony Johnson one, he's a big, strong wrestler and it was just one of those days." - Hardy. Oh, of course, it was just one of those- Wait, what? It was just one of those days? By that logic, the Cubs have had "one of those days" for the last 103 years!

WHITE NOISE (WITH SPECIAL GUEST!)

"We'll see if we can figure something out and get him back in the UFC." - UFC President Dana White, on, you guessed it, Emmanuel Yarborough. (MMA Mania)

"The bottom line is the way they do business is, you have to pay them, not the fighters. We don't work that way. It's not the way we do business. It's not how it works in the United States with the athletic commissions." - White, on dealing with Golden Glory and the release of Alistair Overeem, Marloes Coenen, and others. (Kimura.se via MMA Mania)

"I would love to have Alistair Overeem in the heavyweight division." - White

"What we're saying is, the only place where the best fighters fight the best all the time is UFC." - Joe Silva. Dear Joe, please give me Anderson Silva vs. Georges St. Pierre. Thanks, Mike. (MMA Mania)

PARTING SHOTS

"Please, Rich Franklin, wait for me." - Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, star of the new romcom "The Teacher And The Bus." (Tatame)

"But with Valentijn and Marloes, you know, right now, there's only so many TV spots, as you know, until the middle of next year. And, uh, they're, um, you know, in this business, you've gotta keep winning." - Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, justifying the release of Marloes Coenen by lumping her in with Valentijn Overeem. (The Fight Show via MMA Nation)

"But he caught me and that was it. I have no excuses, but I think he had a lucky night." - Vitor Belfort (Las Vegas Sun)

"I feel this is a turning point in my career. I've got to get things back on track and I'm in the right place to do it." - Dan Hardy, the voice for every fighter on a three-fight losing streak.