Tutorial on how to use the pen tool to cut

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wrestling Station

What you will need:
  • PATIENCE!
  • 108.jpg

• Photoshop
  • Pen Tool.
Firstly get the pic, eg Mickie and make another layer, and bring the new layer behind the Mickie pic EG
6bb9rb7.gif

Then go to the Pen tool by either clicking the pen or by pressing P

4t6i23o.gif

Then Zoom into 500%

6hen66t.gif

Then go to Mickie's hair and with the pen tool, click around the edges.

6cy6ebo.gif

The magic of this is if you do a mistake and press somewhere completely different to what you wanted to click, you can press CTRL ALT and Z to undo or go to Edit > Undo Anchor Point

4uj5s9z.gif

When you have been around all the of the outline, zoom out to 100% and then select the SHAPE 1 layer, CTRL and click the outline (mask) of the shape and you will see that Photoshop has selected the shape for you.

52gg414.gif

Then select the picture of Mickie and press CTRL and J to get a layer of Mickie without the background.
6fyrl7m.gif

Then select the new layer of Mickie (by CTRL and J), and then to go SELECT > FEATHER > 1 then SELECT > MODIFY > SMOOTH > 3 then right click the image and press SELECT INVERSE. Then press the delete button. This makes the cut a bit more smoother.
4yqm7tc.gif

Then press IMAGE> TRIM > TRANSPARENT PIXELS to make the image smaller.
4ypj9r8.gif

And Voila. A cut picture. Now I did this quickly so I personally think the cut is lame. But TAKE YOUR TIME with this.
End Result-
4u42vrq.gif

I saved it as GIF with the background matching the background here (f1f1f1) but you can save it as a PNG or PSD. File.​

PeepShow

Yeah, I've used this tool a little bit, but always get confused after putting all the dots around it, how to get rid of everything then...lol, thanks for the refresher. It's always good to see Mickie zoomed in :p

CT Styles

Thanks alot for this. I normally use themagic wand tool but this seems easier.