Triple H WWE Magazine Interview - Superstars v Technical Wrestlers

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rated RJC

Reaction score
Superstar Suffers Broken Neck?

Bryan Alvarez of f4wonline.com is reporting that Shane Helms has a major neck injury, perhaps a break.

He apparently saw Dr. Lloyd Youngblood today and may be the next person in line for fusion surgery.

Bad news for Helms could have been in line for a push somewhere down the line.

MJ807

Reaction score
Wow that sucks no wonder he hasn't been on tv in a while good luck to you.

Great One

Damn... that's very bad for Helms, if it's serious it could shorten his career extremely.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Fuck man,Helms was a great talent that had a big future,I reallllly hope he dosent have a broken freakin neck

MikeRaw

wow this sucks.I liked him and he puts on a good match....I hope he isnt as bad as they think!

Oasis

Reaction score
That blows, with all the other guys out I was expecting him to get a push. Oh well.........

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
People don't pay just to see wrestlers, they pay to see stars, larger-than-life athletes, heroes and villains. Stuff they cant see in their own backyard. Punk misses the boat on Kevin Nash, and I'm not saying this to side with my friend, but Punk does look like the short order cook at Waffle House.

I like Waffle House too, but I'm not sure I want to watch the cook. You can be the greatest at what you do. There has been a lot of phenomenal wrestlers. Ricky Steamboat was one of the best ever. But if he wasn't in a match with Ric Flair, tell me what else he headlined?

And this isn't a knock on Ricky, he's phenomenal. Punk's mentality is 'Do what I like.' He likes legit, technically gifted, skilled wrestlers. The fact is I do, too. I agree with what he's saying. Is John Cena the best technical wrestler? Absolutely not. Neither was Hogan, neither was Austin, neither was Mick Foley, neither was the Rock—neither was I!

Make me a list of technical wrestlers who were huge stars, and I'll make you a list of terrible wrestlers who were huge stars. I guarantee my list is a mile longer than yours. But who am I to say for the 90 percent of the WWE Universe, who don't give a crap about that and like Cena, that they're wrong and they should change, and be force-fed something they don't want?

When I grew up, I hated Hogan. I thought he was terrible and didn't like to watch him. I was like Punk in a way, I liked the Steamboats and Flairs and the ones that could go. Would I be right in saying that Hogan was the wrong guy to go with, and they should've changed direction and gone with Steamboat because he was the better wrestler? Ludicrous.

I love paragraphs 3 and 4 because he is keeping it straight 100. The man speaks the truth that people don't want to hear, which is that at the end of the day it is a business first and you go with your best figureheads on top who bring in the cash and let the tireless workers be the grunts who get compensated for their work from what the names make.

The Cena 90% is meh, but at the end of the day I can see where he comes from. If you go to any show you see that the grown men who boo him normally have kids who they have bought his gear for right beside them, so at the end of the day Cena gets it done and the same ones who boo him, fund him.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
While you have your Cena's, Hogan's, Austin, etc who have been top stars you also have your HBK's, Flairs (kinda goes in the middle but w/e) Rey's. So don't think you should dismiss someone from being a figurehead because they don't fit a certain mold cause that mold doesn't always work and every now and then you'll have that HBK to go with the rest of the bigger sized guys and that is how I see Punk if he keeps up this popularity he has. Punk while has that work house attitude that tech wrestlers has he has that personality, charisma and mic ability that top stars in WWE need to have so I think he has the best of both worlds. You obviously don't want a hard working but don't have a lick of charisma repping the company so I've never been against WWE's mentality of letting the big mic workers be the biggest stars.

But yeah good read tho he trippin with that 90%

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I don't think he took a swipe at Punk. Yeah Punk is great technically speaking but he was better and tried to do more when he was coming up. You can look at his ECW work compared to now to see that. Yeah he got the world title in the past, but before this run here he wasn't really must see as a character or personality to the casuals. He has shortened his move set, swerved from his old material and even I love competition and am straight edge gimmick, and just found a comfort zone when it comes to showing himself as "larger than life". For lack of a better term, he looked down and found that it factor he had in himself but just couldn't show to the casualest of casual fans to hook them. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Eddie who found that right niche and portayl of itself after years of being in the company and business.

Plus you got to admit that HBK and Rey for the most part always screamed larger than life. Shawn knew how to stand out once he got rid of Janetty and Rey had the unique factor of being not a WWE lucha, but the lucha in WWE. Not everyone really gets that which is why you see a lot of technical guys only get so far. Even Kurt with all his accolades got over based on his goofy personality to go with it and Benoit with his intensity when they pushed him as the Rabid Wolverine.

And the Cena percentage I agree he should have left out. I do still say that it is comical when you go to shows and see these grown men boo him but fork out 50 plus bucks on is DVDs, shirts, caps, bands, and stuff for the kids. You boo him yeah, but at the end of the day if you are them you still put the money in his pockets for those very kids. That is why Cena gets that little smirk on his face and they don't turn him.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I didn't figure he was taking a swipe at Punk just at his opinion really. Pretty much agreed with the stuff you said though I think they could have made the straight edge run bigger than it was all things considering. But in the end this seems like what he ultimately was meant to do to be that groundbreaking character and top star opposite of Cena. Really think they have a perfect set up with those two being the top faces one being the one who appeals to the kids and women and Punk appealing to that 18 plus demo that Cena will never get on his side but love to hate him.

Overall though I've been agreed with the let the mic workers be over the work horse wrestler in terms of being the face of the company since they have yet to fail in who they have produced in that regard. You do need those kind of wrestlers though in your company to balance things out.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
This actually seems legit from Triple H. He grew up a fan like us but understands the business isn't about the Chris Benoits. Wish he could have used him in that article.

Also, rule #1 in the wrestling fan handbook states Ric Flair is the greatest ever. It can't be argued with, it can't be disputed. Just live with it.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
This actually seems legit from Triple H. He grew up a fan like us but understands the business isn't about the Chris Benoits. Wish he could have used him in that article.

Also, rule #1 in the wrestling fan handbook states Ric Flair is the greatest ever. It can't be argued with, it can't be disputed. Just live with it.

Look back at the fine print in the 1.5 inch font under the rule and you'll see:
Except for those fans who have seen Shawn Michaels perform on big stages

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
When has Shawn Michaels ever been in a 5 star match? Hell in a Cell doesn't count because interference hurts REAL ratings.

Edit: I can't win this argument.