Tony Khan talks upcoming media rights and potential streaming service

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
jjtk.jpg

Tony Khan believes AEW will receive more in media rights fees going forward.

The promotion's current agreement with Warner Bros. Discovery runs through 2023 and Khan is expecting "big increases" for future deals. The AEW president spoke with Uproox for an article published Wednesday and described his expectations for future AEW media rights deals.

“I expect big increases in the rights for the AEW programs and we’re on a good pace to make a very lucrative deal for the AEW media rights going forward,” Khan said.
AEW Dynamite premiered October 2, 2019, on TNT and the company announced an extension with WarnerMedia just three months later.

Khan also addressed the possibility of an AEW streaming service similar to Honor Club or the WWE Network.

Khan said:

“We’ve done 174 episodes of Dynamite, 80 episodes of AEW Rampage, our 17th pay-per-view event will be March 5 in Revolution, so we’ve done hundreds and hundreds of hours of AEW content in our library,” Khan says. “I also purchased Ring of Honor last year, which is a great promotion with over 20 years of history, thousands of hours of video in their library. So overall, AEW has access to so many great wrestling events, including some events that are widely considered to be some of the best wrestling events of all time. There’s a lot of interest in this library as well as the new weekly content we continue to produce each week, and I do think there’s a lot of demand for the library and it makes a lot of sense for us to try to make that AEW library available to fans all over the world on demand.”

A recent Bloomberg article stated AEW was considering starting its own streaming service. However, our own Dave Meltzer noted on Wrestling Observer Radio that an AEW streaming deal is not "on the horizon right now."

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
There is a reason AEW do Dark and Elevation. They are deffo looking long term at a streaming deal. I deffo think they get a rights increase soon