Tony Khan talks difficulty of Bryan Danielson working G1, Forbidden Door 2, Kota Ibushi, more

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
04_mjf_promo_2023_02_15_dynamite_0018.jpg

Tony Khan has commented on Bryan Danielson potentially entering a G1 Climax tournament.

The AEW president spoke with the In The Kliq podcast recently and was asked if he's had discussions with Danielson about taking part in New Japan's annual round-robin competition.

Khan responded:

I think it would be great in many ways, but Bryan Danielson, it's quite possible [he] could be the AEW World Champion. Either way, I think it would be hard for him to disappear from the show, especially if he's the AEW World Champion. I'm not sure if he'll be able to get away from the show that much. We'll have to see what happens here coming out of Revolution with MJF vs. Bryan Danielson for the AEW World Championship in a 60-minute Ironman match there in San Francisco on March 5.

Danielson has frequently stated he would like to take part in a G1 Climax and expressed his desire to work with NJPW. This played a role in his contract negotiations with WWE in 2021 as well. Our own Dave Meltzer reported that as part of efforts to re-sign him, Vince McMahon offered to allow Danielson to work the G1. However, Meltzer also said, "It's most likely McMahon had no idea what it was when he said that."

Khan also mentioned during the interview that he expects to run a second Forbidden Door pay-per-view this summer. He declined to comment on any potential interest in Jay White, stating that he is still with New Japan.

However, Khan did talk about possibility of bringing Kota Ibushi to AEW.

I would love to have Kota Ibushi here. Kota Ibushi has wrestled in Ring of Honor in the past and has a great history wrestling in Japan and in America and is a top free agent and that's somebody we would love to have here if the deal is right and the timing is right.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
Saw people overreacting to this going well bryan is not going to win the title at Revolution so why is TK saying this? Yeah cause TK is going to say "Hey guys Bryan is losing and going to the G1 in the summer. Don't bother with the PPV"

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
The g1 is far away, such a non story for me.