Tim Thomas: Boston Bruins Goalie, Conn Smythe Winner, MMA Fan

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
48467_Bruins_Practice_Hockey.jpg
"Save by Thomas."

A refrain heard 238 times -- a Stanley Cup Final record -- as Tim Thomas led his Boston Bruins to a 4-3 series victory over the Vancouver Canucks to claim the Stanley Cup. Thomas picked up the Conn Smythe Trophy, designation him as the playoff MVP, with a .940 save percentage and a 1.98 goals against average in the playoffs. He was better in the Cup Final, posting a .967 save percentage at 1.15 goals against average in seven games against the Canucks.

But this is an MMA blog; why should you care about Thomas? As he revealed to Bloody Elbow contributor Josh Nason, Thomas is a huge fan of mixed martial arts:

"Even during the season when we play at home, I watch the fights the same night," Thomas says. "My wife hates it because I stay up too late, but I don't want to wait until Sunday because there are a lot of MMA fans on our team-including Shawn Thornton, Zdeno Chara, and Milan Lucic-and I don't want any spoilers."

That's a dedicated fan right there.

Thomas has found himself in a couple scuffles this year, as well. The first in February when he squared off in an anticlimactic jersey tugging with Montreal Canadiens netminder Carey Price. He then found himself tussling with Vancouver ball hockey bum Alexandre Burrows in Game 4 of the Final.

On his "fight" with Price:

"Hockey fighting is different than regular fighting. You can't throw both hands without losing your balance," Thomas jokes. "The experience was pretty surreal. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I was thinking about MMA fights.

Video of both of Thomas's fights after the jump.