Tim Sylvia Asks For Fans Help to Get Back in the UFC

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
[video=youtube;qxKYiJysDnI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qxKYiJysDnI[/video]

You can't blame him for wanting to get back into the UFC because he can't be making much money on the small cards he is on. I guess the UFC could give him a fight on the undercard against a low level HW, if he wins then give him a bigger fight etc but even then i just can't see it happening i thought i read an interview with Dana White a while back saying how Tim was nothing but a nightmare to deal with.

He's also full of shit, saying he'd beat 80% of the UFC's roster? :WHAT:

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Hes really, really terrible now.

Morbidly obese, so wouldn't make 265lbs, and keeps losing to nobodys.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to put him against a Struve sort of guy on an FX card though.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Lets also put Cabbage back in the UFC while we are at it.

Just about as relevant as Tim Sylvia.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Tim Sylvia back in the UFC would have to be an April Fools joke at best.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Kind of like bringing in Ken Shamrock.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Well at least with Ken you know you'll see a KO happen. With Tim you'll just see some big huge guy gas within the first minute.

KO would be more exciting

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
OMAHA, Neb. – All sorts of online campaigns have been launched to get fighters signed to the UFC, and many of them have worked.

For now, it looks like one former champion's won't.

"No," White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) when asked whether Tim Sylvia could possibly be seen again inside the octagon. "I don't even know what Tim Sylvia's done. The last Tim Sylvia fight I saw, he got knocked out by a boxer. What has he done since then?"

Sylvia, who won the UFC heavyweight title on two separate occasions and defended it a total of three times, lobbied this week on Twitter and online for a chance to fight again in the promotion. He claims he could beat 80 percent of the UFC's current heavyweights.

White does not agree with that statement, to put it mildly.

"If you look at when Tim Sylvia was in the heavyweight division, I say it all the time: It's when we had the weakest heavyweight division in the company's history," he said. "Him and (Andrei) Arlovski were knocking each other out every weekend.

"I have no beef with Tim Sylvia or whatever. The guy's out there trying to make a living and doing what he's doing. But for him to make the claim that he could knock out 80 percent of the heavyweights in the UFC, what I just said before says it all."

MMAJunkie.com

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Thought I'd just post this interview with Tim here rather than wasting another thread on this topic.

So you recently started a campaign to try and get back into the UFC. What’s your motivation there, is it a case of looking for the biggest paydays, or wanting the title, or is there just a desire to be back in there full stop?

I am just getting older and I want to finish up my career in the UFC. There’s a lot of great match-ups for me and I feel like that is where I belong. I don’t care about going in there and trying to fight for the title - I’ve done more in the UFC than any other heavyweight except Randy Couture so titles don’t mean anything to me at this stage.

I just want to fight, I love to fight and I think there are some really great matches there for me right now.

Who would some of those great matches be?

I would love to fight Cheick Kongo, Stefan Struve, Dave Herman, Matt Mitrione, Christian Morecraft… the list goes on and on.

Your tone suggests you don’t rate any of those names especially highly?

No not at all, that’s why I want to fight them. Everyone thinks they are so good right now because they are in the UFC and I want to prove that they are not. I’m not in the UFC right now but I want to be back in there and show these guys that they don’t belong.

Looking back to when you left the UFC, what was the reasoning there? Was it about money, fame or legacy?

It was more of a legacy thing, Fedor wasn’t going to be able to fight me in the UFC and I had an opportunity to fight him. It was great money, really good money, and I wanted to capitalise on it and make something out of it. As it happened I didn’t perform that night and he did but I still believe if I had been on top of my game that night I would have knocked him out.

Do you think maybe Fedor’s aura and mystique that he carried at the time may have you off?

No not at all, that didn’t bother me at all. I really truly believed I was going to go in there, put on a great fight and win. I didn’t perform, he did and good luck to him. He’s a great guy, great athlete, great fighter, it was his night.

And in your follow-on fight, a super-quick loss to the ex-boxer Ray Mercer, would it be incorrect to say that you didn’t really take it seriously?

Not at all, my fault. Stupid, stupid. It was supposed to be a knock over match really, I thought I would just go out there and take him down… that didn’t happen.

Lorenzo Fertitta recently said on Twitter that the UFC wouldn’t be looking to take you back. That is despite what seems to be a considerable groundswell of public support for you. Why do you think he would be against it?

I think the UFC is just still maybe bitter about the way I left the UFC and went to Affliction, they didn’t want Affliction to succeed and they showed that by buying them out.

I guess it was kind of shady - I listened to certain people, asked the UFC to get out of my contract and then as soon as I was out of my contract I signed with Affliction right away. It was probably a shady thing to do but I was just thinking about my family at the time and about the dollar amount.

We thought Affliction … they gave me a three-fight contract, the money was something that no one had seen before. They gave me a huge contract but then it never happened, it all just fell through… but no regrets, not at all. Everything happens for a reason.

Would it be fair to say that you alienated some fans back then with the adoption of a persona that wasn’t necessarily true to yourself?

I think so yeah, I think you have hit the nail right on the button.

And do you think that has cost you?

I think during that time it did cost me. I had a guy come to an autograph signing and he was like, “The whole crowd was cheering against you so I jumped on board, because we had a few beers and it was fun.†So I think maybe there was some of that - ‘Lets hate Tim Sylvia!’ ‘Yeah lets do it, it will be fun.’

And I had that attitude of, if you don’t like me, I don’t like me.
Quote:

OK before I turn this into a column for Mothercare lets get back to the UFC. Junior Dos Santos and Alistair Overeem are due to fight for the heavyweight title soon. What do you think of those two?

I think they are both studs. If it came down to which one I want to fight more it would be Alistair Overeem just because styles make fights and I think we would have a great fight together. But I think the top five in the UFC right now are all studs - Dos Santos, Alistair, Cain Velasquez, Frank Mir as much as I hate to say it and Shane Carwin, he is still up there in the rankings even though he hasn’t fought in a while.

You were basically absent from the UFC for the entirety of Brock Lesnar’s career there right?

Sort of. We tried to get that fight, he came in and fought Frank Mir the night that I fought Nogueira for the interim title. We both lost and so my team tried to pitch me and him fighting each other, or going on The Ultimate Fighter together, but the UFC didn’t want that to happen because they were trying to, I don’t know, protect him or whatever.

Then he fights Heath Herring and gets a title shot which is… well, it is what it is. I don’t know how he got a title shot with a win over Heath and a loss to Mir. Brock Lesnar was made a champion, I definitely think he was a paper champion and no doubt about it.

But it did great things for the UFC, he really helped it explode in popularity because he took that whole crowd of WWE fans and brought them over to the UFC. That’s millions of people; he had some loyal fans and he brought them over. It was a great marketing job by the UFC.

What do you think of Lesnar transitioning into being a mixed martial artist at such a late stage?

He is not a mixed martial artist. No I don’t think he is at all! He is a big strong wrestler who doesn’t like to get hit. He hates to get hit.

It certainly seemed that way by the time he retired. But I do think he could have developed into something really special if he had retained Greg Nelson as a coach instead of parting ways. I think that was a mistake on his part.

That was one downfall. The other was that they would bring guys in for training partners, they would pay them, and then the training partners were told that they cannot go and hit him hard.

Everyone says this about him but is it definitely true?

Yes its very true, I have two different friends - close friends - who were brought in to train with him and that is what they were told. To be a successful striker or stand-up guy you have to get used to getting hit. How do you get used to getting hit? You get hit over and over again in sparring practice.

Its going to suck the first few months but eventually you are gonna get away from that. If he had kept doing that I think he would have gotten to the point where he got comfortable with it.

What is the point of bringing in training partners that aren’t allowed to do what they are supposed to do?

So you can beat up on them, make yourself feel good.

You think Lesnar is a bully?

I know he is a bully. I know he is… But you know, in his defense he came to Militech and trained for two weeks and him and I became very close in that time. We went and shot bows together, we are both huge hunters.

Great guy when the camera is not in his face, kind of like Tito Ortiz. Great guy, down to earth. Outdoorsman. Tito is the same, a great guy but then you put a camera in his face and things change.

Speaking of bullies, did you and Matt Hughes ever sort your issues out?

Oh yeah, a long time ago. He was a dumbass when he wrote that book, I have no idea why he wrote that. He was actually my room mate, he had a big fight with his own room mate and had no place to live and he asked if he could come stay with me, I said absolutely and he lived with me for two years after that.

He helped me move from my original house where he lived with me to my new house that I had bought and we became the best of friends. I don’t know what the hell he was thinking when he wrote that book.

FO: The UFC fans haven’t seen you in nearly four years. If you come back to the organization, what would be different about you?

Well I don’t think anything we saw last time was all that bad. You know when it comes to my fighting experience, when I was in the UFC I was fighting regularly and so my weight was always down and I was fit. But when I go to not fighting regularly my weight starts getting up there and it gets harder to cut, I am coming in at super-heavy and stuff, I just don’t like that.

I want to be heavyweight, not super-heavyweight, and in the UFC I have to be heavyweight so I always stay in shape. And when I am in shape I don’t think there are too many guys out there that can beat me. And you know this isn’t basketball, where you have some bad games but overall that doesn’t matter as long as the season goes good. We fight three times a year and on that night we have to be perfect.

But that doesn’t happen - you have injuries or you are sick, or you just don’t feel yourself or don’t perform well. You don’t get a second chance.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Thankfully he will never return to UFC. He is a joke now and UFC won't be able to make any money out of him so there is no chance they will sign him. This sport has definitely passed him by.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I dunno why Tim insists on wanting to be made a full out of. I mean the guys he listed he wanted to fight... he'd only have a slight chance at winning against if even that much. Tim just needs to stick to the small organizations and keep making money there.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Maybe he shouldn't be losing to nobodies in the dirt leagues and maybe he would get a shot. Not really a hard concept to grasp.

Reactions: 1 person

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
This is Tim Sylvia we're talking about. Have to explain things in their simplest form. Couldn't even grasp he had a broken arm when Mir broke it.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
This is Tim Sylvia we're talking about. Have to explain things in their simplest form. Couldn't even grasp he had a broken arm when Mir broke it.

I remember that shit, it took Herb Dean like 5 minutes to get it into his head that he stopped the fight because Mir snapped his arm.