Thoughts which conclude an epic weekend.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
K.

Instead of doing long detailed results that more than likely nobody will read anyways, I just figured instead I would post my thoughts on what I thought about this action packed weekend. Even if you're not a fan of fighting - if you caught a glimpse of this night, you were definitely in for a treat.

So here they are:

- Thomas Almeida should get a top 5 guy next, if not challenge for the title.
- Just because Gunnar Nelson's a submission expert doesn't mean his stand up isn't as good.
- Stephen Thompson is a badass.
- Jeremy Stephens is finally back.
- Rory MacDonald showed more heart in that fight than he did in his whole career.
- Robbie Lawler could have finished earlier if he'd worked off his cross more in the 2nd round.
- The Chad Mendes/Conor McGregor fight stoppage was a little premature.

For anyone who cares to know, Conor McGregor captured the interim featherweight championship by defeating Chad Mendes via second round TKO, it didn't come without pressure though of course. Although McGregor was able to control the exchanges and land more significant strikes on the feet, he spent most of the fight being controlled on the ground by the former NCAA wrestling champion Mendes. When Mendes planted the brash Irish man on his back in the 2nd round, he began to attack off his back with elbows but worked to no avail. Mendes then passed to side control and attempted a guillotine but McGregor instantly made it back to his feet and caught Mendes with a picture perfect stinging left cross and hit Mendes with three follow up shots for the win. I believe the stoppage was premature as Mendes still had his hands up, but even in a bar I'd never seen fans go that crazy for a fight result. Next for McGregor in line is Jose Aldo and you can't doubt that fight will be the greatest fight in the history of that division.

As for the co main event, UFC Welterweight Champion Robbie Lawler successfully made his first title defense in what was regarded as possibly the greatest fight ever in a rematch against Canadian Rory MacDonald. The first round was probably the most boring round of the whole main card as fans' boos started to pour in and saw little action. In the second round however, the champ found a home for his left hand as he constantly attacked Rory's already broken nose and busting him up even more. The third round saw most of the same until Rory landed a partially blocked head kick and did what he could to finish the round. In the fourth round, Macdonald found his rhythm and began attacking Lawler with more head kicks, so much as it opened a joker style cut on the right side of Lawler's upper lip. But it was Lawler who landed the final blow as 1 minute into the first round, the champ landed a picture perfect left cross in the nose that forced MacDonald to turtle over and the ref to call the stop to the fight. The fight was hailed as an instant classic and regardless of the fact that MacDonald may have lost the fight, he gained the respect of fans, UFC president Dana White, and even his two time opponent himself Lawler. So much that even after the fight, they took a picture together.

Screen_Shot_2015-07-11_at_10.24.31_PM.0.0.png

Warriors, no other word to describe it.

Here are the rest of the results here:

Conor McGregor def. Chad Mendes via TKO at 4:57 of Rd. 2 to become Interim Featherweight Champion
Robbie Lawler def. Rory MacDonald via TKO at 1:00 of Rd. 5 to defend Welterweight Championship
Jeremy Stephens def. Dennis Bermudez via TKO at 0:32 of Rd. 2
Gunnar Nelson def. Brandon Thatch via Submission at 2:54 of Rd. 1
Thomas Almeida def. Brad Pickett via KO at 0:29 of Rd. 2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three words.

Best. Card. Ever.