Thought about the WWE Hall of Fame...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

razaki

Reaction score
As I was watching RAW earlier tonight, I was thinking about the future of the WWE Hall of Fame and who, presumably, some of the next superstars might be throughout the next decade or so.

The first person that I thought of though, was Sting. Obviously never having wrestled FOR the WWE itself might be a reason to never induct him, but considering that they recognize NWA/WCW titles and careers, it seems to me that it would be ridiculous to have him not recognized in some way for his career.

As this is my first post, I'm unsure as to whether this has been addressed before - if so, merely tell me. I attempted to search for it, but the search never came up at all.

Anyway, though, this is not meant to be a discussion of Sting's current role in TNA. That, obviously, will be coming to a close in the next year or so, and I could care less about people's opinions of the merits of Sting's foray in TNA.

Rather, the fact that he carried, or at least significantly helped to carry, WCW during the period of its dominance and his impact on the sport seems worthy, to me, of an induction.

And my god, think of the ratings that it would generate, haha.

MikeRaw

I doubt Sting would be in any time soon... He is one of the greatest ever, for sure, and will most likely be inducted, but I doubt it'll be within the next 5 years.
The reason is, wwe inducts guys from the NWA/WCW days into their HOF now, but it is a long time after they've retired, so peopel amost forget that they were hardly with WWE, or in some cases, not with WWE at all.
I think they'll induct Sting one day, but not soon, seeing as people will find it strange for him to be in the WWE HOF.
Welcoem to the board, by the way.

Beer Money Army

Sting could be inducted.. But then again he has never worked under vince mcmahon..

so that could be a factor of him to no be inducted...(with him working for TNA atm won't help his chances of getting in)...

there others that deserve to be in it, more than sting atm.. Randy savage or Bruno sammartino or bob Backlund or arn anderson just to name a few...

Moonlight Drive

If I'm not mistaken, Bruno has knocked back several HoF offers.

seX-Power

^ Don't worry. You're not mistaken.

Also I doubt Sting will get in, at least not for a long while. Not being in the WWE at all and presently being in TNA sure aren't helping him.

Kizza

Why would it generate ratings? Lol, most WWE "fans" wouldn't have a clue who Sting is.

Beer Money Army

Why would it generate ratings? Lol, most WWE "fans" wouldn't have a clue who Sting is.

to put it in retrospected.. sting career is nowhere near where it was in the 80's - mid 90's either... (yep, pby true not many wwe fans would know sting.)

for Moonlight Drive (i knew bruno has knocked back.. Just to put a fact out)

But really why should WWE put sting in HOF, if he hasnt worked for Vince mcmahon in one day of his wrestling career...

Yeah he may made his name in nwa, wcw and tna.. but there all companies that were fighting against vince...

it would be like having a great burger griller that work for hungry jacks, but he receives it a Mcdonalds awards...

(vince shouldnt bother with sting, cause sting went pasted his prime a lot long before wcw ever died) i wouldnt call 1.0-1.2 a so called big draw.. Because heat and velocity use to get that years ago...

Airfixx

Sure there's another thread like this goin' on right now....

Vince has already inducted peeps that never worked for WWE so I don't see that specifically being the issue with Sting.

razaki

Reaction score
If there is a thread, I couldn't find it.

I agree that sting's career as of now is nothing compared to what it was in the 80s or early 90s - but as I said, I don't really think that that's important right now.

Obviously, the fact that he never worked specifically for the WWE won't help, and TNA may or may not hurt him, but as others have said, there are other superstars who never worked specifically for the WWE who are in the HOF or certainly will be.

I also agree that Savage and Bruno and Anderson should be, and before Sting. As I said, Sting was the first person to pop in my head and probably the most "controversial" of the selections.

And it's not as if the WWE doesn't in recognize Sting - He was the focal point of the cover of the new Starrcade DVD. Admittedly, nothing like a HOF thing, but it's not like they hold a grudge. From the interviews that I've read in the past, Sting and McMahon have a fine relationship.

I wasn't necessarily thinking in the next five years - in the post I said the next decade - but it could be even longer.

And as far as current fans not necessarily knowing who he would be - do you really think that those fans know who the Funks or even Ricky Steamboat is? Anyone who followed the WWF through the 90s, even if they didn't watch the WCW, certainly knew who Sting was, just as any WCW diehard undoubtedly knew who Austin was.

Those are the fans that the HOF is supposed to mean something to, not new fans, anyway.

I'm not suggesting that inducting Sting into the HOF would draw an unbelievable rating, but I think that it would, if it were publicized enough, draw a lot of the old WCW fans who never wanted/bothered to follow the WWE after the buyout, if only for one night.

There are still a lot of Sting fanboys out there, lol.

CenaMark54

Why would Sting accept this "honor"? If he never wanted to actually work for the WWE, why would he want to be in its hall of fame?

I fully expect Savage to be the headliner of a hall of fame class within a few years. There are not too many retired wrestlers left who will actually drawn interest in the event. There's really only the Rock, Bruno, Savage, and Vince himself.

straight_edge76

There is less then a 0.00000000000000001% chance that Sting will ever be in the WWE hall of fame. He has never wanted to work with McMahon, he in many cases helped wCw kick the WWE's ass all those years during the Monday Night Wars. I am sure that Vince Russo would be inducted before Sting. There are many others who will not ever be in the HoF that deserve it more then Sting becase they acutally did work with Vince. Randy Savage, Jeff Jarrett and sadly Owen Hart come to mind.

razaki

Reaction score
Why would Sting accept this "honor"? If he never wanted to actually work for the WWE, why would he want to be in its hall of fame?

I don't think that's necessarily true, if I remember correctly. It wasn't that sting never wanted to work for the WWE - they were relatively close to deals over the years - but he just ended up deciding not to on principle.

Still, I agree that there are not too many retired wrestlers left. Sting won't even be an option for a while, considering TNA and the fact that they probably will want to save certain wrestlers like Savage and the Rock for separate years in order to prolong interest, so it'll be a while before there's a "clear" spot at the top for a big name.

Despite the fact that he didn't work with Vince, he still is a part of the WWE universe - just never as an explicit WWE wrestler. Again, since they have shown that they will honor wrestlers solely for their WCW/NWA days, I fail to see why there would be such a small percentage chance that he would attempt, at least, to induct him.

It would be nothing short of ridiculous, to me at least, to have one of the great legends of wrestling - note, not the WWE, but wrestling - go unhonored by the only hall of fame that we as wrestling fans have.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wwe_hall_of_fame

Plenty of guys on that list that had nothing to do with the WWF/WWE. To think that they'd deny Sting forever is absurd. He will be a member of the WWE Hall Of Fame at some point, whether it be 20 or 60 years from now, it will happen.

SnackZ

Reaction score
Sting will get in eventually, about 5 years after he actually retires if he continues with TNA. If he ends his deal with TNA and comes to the E even if for a short period of time I think he'll get inducted a little sooner.

I'm also wondering if the E will put Goldberg in the HOF, not a long career at all but the streak as well as his popularity make him a viable candidate. Thoughts???

Savage will be in this year or next year for sure. What about the Ultimate Warrior? Arn should be inducted next year by Ric.

razaki

Reaction score
I don't think Goldberg will be a HOFer...most of them have to really leave some sort of impact on the sport.

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if he gets in far down the road, but I'm not expecting it. Like you said, the short career would really hurt him, I think.