This Day in Wrestling History - June 8

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Kor97_72.png

Pay-Per-Views

1997: WWF King of the Ring (Buyrate: 0.50/Buys: 200,000)
2008: TNA Slammiversary

Television Shows
1985: WWF All Star Wrestling
1985: WWF Championship Wrestling
1988: NWA Clash of the Champions II: Miami Mayhem
1993: ECW Hardcore TV #10
1996: WCW Saturday Night
1998: WCW Monday Nitro #143 (Rating: 4.00)
1998: WWF RAW is WAR #263 (Rating: 4.33)
2000: WWF SmackDown! #43 (Rating: 5.00)
2002: WWE Confidential #3 (Rating: 0.80)
2002: WWE Velocity (Rating: 0.90)
2003: WWE Sunday Night Heat
2006: TNA iMPACT! #102 (Rating: 1.01)
2007: WWE SmackDown #409 (Rating: 2.63)
2008: WWE Vintage Collection #1
2009: WWE RAW #837 (Rating: 3.61)
2010: WWE NXT #16 (Rating: 1.07)
2012: WWE SmackDown #669 (Rating: 1.73/Viewers: 2,480,000)

Title Changes
1999: Ivory wins WWF Women's Championship
2009: WWE Championship vacated

Birthdays
1958: Dan Severn
1965: Tatanka
1978: Maria Menounos

Debuts
2007: Jey Uso
2007: Jimmy Uso​

Source: wrestlingdata.com

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Maria Menounos :homer:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Ivory was/is a real woman though. She was great as women's champions not least because of all the shit she had thrown at her.

KOTR 97 the first of many times than Foley carried HHH's arse. Highlight of that night was HBK/Austin IMO.

Was Slammiversary 08 the one headlined by Joe/Booker? TNA really killed that feud.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
KOTR 97 the first of many times than Foley carried HHH's arse.

:TI: You say that like Trips couldn't do anything in the ring.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Didn't mean it like that, but he was certainly a long way off his 2000/01 peak. I think it is a common view than Foley was a big part in giving the Game the push he needed to become a main eventer, and there's a chance than without him (or when he later a mcmahon) it might not have happened.

I tell you what it is a testament to Foley than he was still so over after that feud.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Didn't mean it like that, but he was certainly a long way off his 2000/01 peak. I think it is a common view than Foley was a big part in giving the Game the push he needed to become a main eventer, and there's a chance than without him (or when he later a mcmahon) it might not have happened.

I tell you what it is a testament to Foley than he was still so over after that feud.
That's just stupid, 96 he was carrying Marc Mero and Henry Godwin. Foley bumping around for him did help and that feud showed off his toughness. But let's not pretend that Triple H wouldn't be where he is today because of ONE man.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
That's just stupid, 96 he was carrying Marc Mero and Henry Godwin. Foley bumping around for him did help and that feud showed off his toughness. But let's not pretend that Triple H wouldn't be where he is today because of ONE man.

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest than it was solely Foley than got him over, but I don't agree than he carried anyone during his early years. Mero was a decent worker, and his and H's styles worked well together. The feud with Godwinn was complete crap.:ricardo2:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
That feud with a pig farmer may have been "crap", but it was memorable and it worked back then. Also, he was new to WWE, but he was in the business for more than 5 years by then, and was learning from the best. To act like he was green and needed to be carried is stupid. He started wrestling around the same time as Foley ffs.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
That feud with a pig farmer may have been "crap", but it was memorable and it worked back then. Also, he was new to WWE, but he was in the business for more than 5 years by then, and was learning from the best. To act like he was green and needed to be carried is stupid. He started wrestling around the same time as Foley ffs.

TBH I liked it back then, but it has aged badly. I didn't think HHH was terrible back then but I would say he was a long way of best. Its a personally thing, but I consider him overrated anyway. 2000-2001 he was pretty awesome, after that hit and miss.

I don't see what him having been in the business as long as Foley has to do with anything, Foley was the better worker IMO simple as.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
TBH I liked it back then, but it has aged badly. I didn't think HHH was terrible back then but I would say he was a long way of best. Its a personally thing, but I consider him overrated anyway. 2000-2001 he was pretty awesome, after that hit and miss.

I don't see what him having been in the business as long as Foley has to do with anything, Foley was the better worker IMO simple as.
Saying Foley was the better worker then, now, whenever isn't simple as that, and its just flat out wrong. Can't lean on the personal opinion when you throw out absolutes like that.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Clash of Champions II, watchin' Luger bleed like a bitch at the hands of the Four Horsemen is a tremendous way to open an event. Also had a very fun tag match between Sheepherders(Bushwackers)/Fantastics.

I enjoyed the Trips/Foley feud from that '97 time period that set the ground work for their WWE Title feud a couple years. Of course, the best match during that stint was on Raw and that KOTR final is a bit much.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Saying Foley was the better worker then, now, whenever isn't simple as that, and its just flat out wrong. Can't lean on the personal opinion when you throw out absolutes like that.

How can an opinion be wrong? Its not like science when there is a right or wrong answer which can be proven. I respect your opinions so you should respect mine. Triple H should have had a much better career than he did, but it never happened on a consistent enough level.

Twitchy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
heathslater
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
alsnow
Favorite Wrestler
melina
I sure do miss the King of the Ring PPV..was one of the better ones I always thought...Plus, its in the same month as my birthday, so I always ordered it every June.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I sure do miss the King of the Ring PPV..was one of the better ones I always thought...Plus, its in the same month as my birthday, so I always ordered it every June.

They need to bring the event back IMO.