The Undertaker Talks Fans Cheering Him Over Hulk Hogan At Survivor Series 1991

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Buffy

The Vampire Slayer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
bretthart
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
A year after his WWE debut at Survivor Series 1990, The Undertaker challenged Hulk Hogan for the WWE Championship at Survivor Series 1991.

Although The Phenom entered the match as the heel, the fans at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Michigan, couldn't help but cheer for him against Hogan, arguably the most popular performer in pro wrestling history.

In a recent interview with Yahoo Sports, Undertaker explained what was going through his mind when the fans unexpectedly cheered for him.

"You're nervous, then when you do the walkout that night it threw me off because it was like 60-40 the crowd was behind me," said Undertaker. "[The fans turned me] and I was the babyface. Here I am trying to be this killer, this scary dude, and you come out and the crowd is leaning toward you. You have to put that out of your mind so you can do business and be what you're supposed to be, but it was amazing."

The match was billed as "The Gravest Challenge" that Hogan had ever faced. Since his debut, Undertaker remained undefeated in televised matches although he did suffer few pinfall losses at untelevised events, including a loss to Hogan [as seen in the video above].

Undertaker still can't believe he was in line to defeat Hogan and capture the WWE Championship, within his first year in the WWE.

"That was a fast year," he said. "It all happened really fast and then I got the word at Survivor Series, my one-year anniversary, that I am going to be wrestling the golden goose and I'm going to be world champion.

"It was amazing. A year into this thing, I'm still looking at myself kind of as a greenhorn. That's how it was back then. I had only been in the business for about four years and here I am, wrestling one of the biggest legends our industry has ever seen and I'm going over. It was really surreal."

Undertaker defeated Hogan following outside interference from Ric Flair. He was 26 at the time.

This Sunday, the wrestling world will bid goodbye to Undertaker, who celebrates his 30-year anniversary exactly 30 years since his WWE debut on November 22, 1990. WWE is billing this year's Survivor Series as Undertaker's "Final Farewell." As always, Wrestling Inc. will have live coverage of the event as well as the latest breaking news heading into the show.
Source: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2...ering-him-over-hulk-hogan-at-survivor-677052/

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Okay. Pretty basic response.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I'm not gonna pretend like a lot if it isn't Hogan's character being stagnant....but I think a lot of this can simply be chalked up to how FUCKING COOL OG Deadman 'Taker was tbh

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I was supposed to be against the Jason Vorhees with the funny Fatman against Hulk who's been doing the same shit since I was in diapers?

Fuck that noise.

• Haha
Reactions: Kiffy Lube

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I feel like Hogan was stagnant in 1990. So this shouldn't be surprising

Buffy

The Vampire Slayer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
bretthart
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
The reason why people were booing Hogan and siding with Undertaker is because they were bored of Hogan. Let's be real here. Hogan was a stale WWE Champion and stale face main eventer. It also helps that Undertaker was a new guy for a full year and was so called undefeated in shows but not house shows. Undertaker also dominated the whole mid carder and upper mid carder guys. Had more character and was gaining momentum.

Reactions: Showstopper

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Lol who cares. Hogan had been doing the EXACT same schtick for 8 years. People were tired of it. Simple as that.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Hogan was much better booked in the Grimverse. :side:

Showstopper

The Icon That Can Still Go
Reaction score
I'm not gonna pretend like a lot if it isn't Hogan's character being stagnant....but I think a lot of this can simply be chalked up to how FUCKING COOL OG Deadman 'Taker was tbh
I completely agree. I'm not a Taker fan. But from the moment he debuted up until about 1997, I actually was a big fan of his. He wasn't my favorite, but I liked him. Especially Taker when he would wear the gray gloves and long gray socks, and even alittle bit into when he was wearing the purple gloves and purple long socks. After Paul Bearer turned on him at SummerSlam 1996, though, he kind of his lost his cool factor to me. I know I'm in the minority on that, but yeah.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The reaction was probably a mix of Taker being a cool, fresh character and Hogan growing stale. Also it might have just been that Michigan could have been more a heel town. The terrible feud against Slaughter probably did Hulk no favour too.