The concept of respect

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score
After reading various works of literature, seeing a wide variety of films and watching the news, I have arrived at the conclusion that for some reason, beating someone up is a way of teaching them respect. It is a street mentality that you can find in violent urban areas.

The question is, why do these kinds of people think that giving someone a good beating is a sound way to teach them respect?

Reactions: Nikki Nitro

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Cause they rely on violence as a way of life.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
This is extremly broard. It's hard to comment on as it depends on the individual and culture. I would suggest that maybe you gain respect if you prove that you can take a beating.

Kinda like the 'I respect you' strap match in WCW between Sullivan and Pillman. You can take a beating you show that you are tough.

I think it comes down to if you are tough and can fight then automatically you are respected in some cultural groups.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
OK, so how does hitting people make them respect the hitter, looking at the issue through the eyes of the person lying on the punches?

Respect in the sense of a literal term doesn't involve violence. They want to be feared, not respected. But to some people, fear = respect.

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score
This is extremly broard. It's hard to comment on as it depends on the individual and culture. I would suggest that maybe you gain respect if you prove that you can take a beating.

Kinda like the 'I respect you' strap match in WCW between Sullivan and Pillman. You can take a beating you show that you are tough.

I think it comes down to if you are tough and can fight then automatically you are respected in some cultural groups.

Very helpful insight. I'll keep it in mind and see if I can add some of my own.

In the meantime, how would you explain Brock Lesnar's commentary in his book, Death Clutch, in which he says 'if anyone wants respect from me, they'll have to beat it out of me.'

Redboy123@

Reaction score
In the meantime, how would you explain Brock Lesnar's commentary in his book, Death Clutch, in which he says 'if anyone wants respect from me, they'll have to beat it out of me.'
I'm guessing he dosn't mean literally because there aint that many people on this planet that could beat up Brock Lesnar lol. I pressume he means that you got to earn respect not demand it. Maybe Brock is coming from the point of veiw of a young upcoming wrestler and feels that you have to work really hard to earn his respect.

I recall a Jim Cornette story about how he used a gun to control Brock in OVW. I bet Brock doesnt think very highly of most of the current roster.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
In my book, the biggest competitors growing up were always stray dogs.

Not sure if @Geese has experienced this but growing up in Sacramento area, dogs could be found literally anywhere you walked.

Dogs respect it when you stand up and show no fear
So basically its part of our nature. We have an inateness of respecting power.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
The question is, why do these kinds of people think that giving someone a good beating is a sound way to teach them respect?
It is not so much as respect as a way to test to see if you can handle what the lifestyle will through at you. As a person, who lived in rough neighbors and had friends to be in gangs, I never joined any, that is why they do it. If you can handle getting your ass whooped for 5, 10, or more minutes straight with without flinching or running away and that shows that you down with that lifestyle and they can rely on you to do whatever. Even once you are in a gang, or whatever you have to earn respect by doing various things like selling drugs, killing rival members, or whatever. The way they see the more violent you are the more respect you get because you are willing to do whatever.

Irwin R. Schyster

The Showoff
Reaction score
I don't know if this answers your particular question, but, some people need a punch in the mouth. The ones who think they can be a douchebag for no reason at all, randomly disrespecting people because they enjoy the 'power' of it. They need to be knocked down a million pegs. This is why I don't feel sorry for people who act a certain way and get their teeth knocked in. If you are going to be a dickhead for no reason other than to feel like a 'tough guy', you deserve a beating so you learn that not everyone will take your shit.

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score
It is not so much as respect as a way to test to see if you can handle what the lifestyle will through at you. As a person, who lived in rough neighbors and had friends to be in gangs, I never joined any, that is why they do it. If you can handle getting your ass whooped for 5, 10, or more minutes straight with without flinching or running away and that shows that you down with that lifestyle and they can rely on you to do whatever. Even once you are in a gang, or whatever you have to earn respect by doing various things like selling drugs, killing rival members, or whatever. The way they see the more violent you are the more respect you get because you are willing to do whatever.

Nutritious good for thought. I like the taste of it. So, by being as violent as you can be and taking all the punishment, you're both proving that you're capable and tough enough to go any distance, no matter how long and tackle whatever comes your way.

That seperates the academics from the street dwellers. The students prove how tough they are by earning good grades and the qualified professionals show how far they can go by how hare they work and his they climb the ladder of success.

Only difference is you don't find many office workers with stitches and bandages that prove how hard they are.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley