The 'CM Punk was backstage at Raw' thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Gonna collect all the reliable news sources and put them in here because i'm sure there's gonna be more rumblings over the coming days.
By Mike Johnson on 2023-04-24 18:23:00
Former WWE and current AEW star CM Punk was backstage for a bit at tonight's Monday Night Raw taping, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

Tonight's taping is being held in his hometown of Chicago (well, Rosemont, IL, right outside) at the Allstate Center, the same venue where Punk defeated John Cena for the WWE title at the 2011 Money in the Bank PPV.

There's no word who Punk was there visiting, but we have heard from several WWE sources that he did briefly see Paul Levesque, which would have been the first time the two have met in person since the day Punk walked out of the company back in 2014.

Punk also met with several other WWE talents, but was eventually asked to exit the arena.

One WWE source believed it may have been since he was under contract to another company. We are told by the same source that it was a Vince McMahon call that he leave the venue and that when he was asked, Punk immediately said his goodbyes and left the building.​
By Mike Johnson on 2023-04-24 19:19:00
As we broke earlier, CM Punk was backstage at Raw for a short amount of time.

There is video floating around online of Punk outside the Allstate Arena with what appears to be Tamina from earlier today.

We can also confirm that multipe sources stated The Miz and Punk spoke for a short period of time and "cleared the air."

We are told that the talents who saw Punk greeted him warmly as most haven't seen him since 2014.

As we noted earlier, Punk and Paul Levesque saw each other for a brief moment as well.​
  • Confirmed he was backstage according to talent​
  • Seen speaking to talent including Miz and HHH​
  • Talent told he was asked to leave by Jim Kelly, WWE's head of security, but that's unconfirmed​
  • Numerous wrestlers in WWE believed that the move was a publicity stunt for a return to AEW soon."​
  • Left without incident​
  • Several AEW talent in disbelief he was there​
  • WWE talent shocked he was backstage​
  • WWE asked to comment in an official capacity but are unable to as of now​
Subscribe to Fightful Select: https://www.patreon.com/fightful/posts

Can'y verify this one as it was taken from the Observer Radio​

Speaking on Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer was careful to avoid giving his opinion on Punk's reasons for appearing at this week's Raw.

Meltzer did however say that those who know Punk have called his opinion on the matter "spot-on."

It was noted that those within WWE, who were surprised to see Punk at the show, believe this was his way of testing the waters for a return.
"People were very surprised on both ends. Very surprised in WWE. The feeling in WWE was that he was there because he wanted back. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. I mean, obviously, there were talks of him going back, shortly [after All Out.] In late last year. But he couldn't go because he was still under contract. My impression is this is with Paul Levesque in charge and not Vince, my impression was that they didn't have any interest in him at that time."​
Punk spoke to Paul 'Triple H' Levesque, WWE's Head of Talent Relations, during his brief stint at this week's Raw.

CM Punk's Publicity Stunt?​

A popular theory going around is that Punk's appearance at Raw wasn't to facilitate a WWE return but to garner interest in his AEW return.

Punk is rumored to be returning to the promotion later this year, and is expected to appear on the premiere of AEW's weekly Saturday wrestling show.

Addressing the possibility that Punk was merely drawing up interest in himself ahead of his AEW return, Meltzer said:
"I mean, was it a publicity stunt for him to get publicity [for his rumored AEW return?] Was it? I don't know, you'd have to ask him what his reasons were. Obviously, the announcement of him coming back to AEW, in theory, was going to be anytime now. You know, the announcement of the new TV show would be anytime now. So I'm sure it all ties together in some way and he'll have to figure out [what's next.] If he wants to say what his motives were, what his reasons were, you know, he can say it. But obviously all those things, the timing of everything, is suspicious.​

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
One thing not noted in the Observer radio writeup is that Punk was apparently flying back to Chicago from Florida and ended up on a flight a lot of the talent were on. So I guess coulda bumped into some people there and got inspired to visit then

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
One thing not noted in the Observer radio writeup is that Punk was apparently flying back to Chicago from Florida and ended up on a flight a lot of the talent were on. So I guess coulda bumped into some people there and got inspired to visit then
its likely what happened yea.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
By Mike Johnson on 2023-04-25 08:37:00
Over the last 12 hours, we've been indulged with questions and interest about CM Punk being backstage at Monday Night Raw for a bit last night, so rather than making 10,000 posts, I'll attempt to answer everything here via the following timeline, which will hopefully answer everyone's questions:

*CM Punk was in Florida over the weekend doing commentary for MMA promotion Cage Fury Fighting Championships.

*When flying out of Tampa yesterday, he ended up on the same flight as several WWE talents and staff, including one Producer and was sitting next to some of them on the flight.

*At that point, Punk learned WWE was at the Allstate Arena, which is in a close proximity to his home in Chicago.

*At some point before the show was to begin, Punk arrived at the venue and was brought into the building by other talents.

*Punk was in a common area in full view of anyone who came past him backstage and ran into Paul Levesque. We are told by someone who saw the interaction that the two shook hands and Punk asked if it was OK that he visit and if Levesque had time, could they speak for two minutes. Levesque allegedly said he had to make sure with the "big guy" it was OK, obviously a reference to Vince McMahon. It was perhaps a one to two minute interaction, if even that.

*Punk remained in that area and spoke to a number of talents who happened to be walking by, including The Miz. We are told that they spoke for some time, clearing whatever issues were between them from the time period Punk was on WWE Backstage.

*Those who saw Punk greeted him warmly. There were some who had a "what was he doing here?" reaction, but that was something said later by those who hadn't actually run into him.

*Punk was never behind any closed doors or rooms, remaining in that common area. There were no "secret meetings" or anything of that sort.

*Within 20 minutes or so, Punk was sent word by WWE security that he wasn't going to be allowed to remain and he exited. We are told that Punk was respectful of that decision, said his goodbyes and left. We were told he was respectful of everyone the entire time he was backstage, which wasn't long.

*As we noted yesterday, one source felt that Punk was asked to leave because he was under an AEW contract. A different WWE source this morning felt that wasn't accurate, pointing out Malakai Black and Andrade el Idolo were allowed on WWE TV, sitting with their wives at the WWE Hall of Fame recently in Los Angeles. That different WWE source pointed out that the difference with Punk was that the way he left and that there was a lot of "legal" history between the two sides in the past, so this would be a completely different situation.

*For those who have asked if this was Punk trying to gauge WWE interest, we are told no. He's still under contract to AEW for what one person termed a "lengthy" amount of time and couldn't even negotiate with WWE at this point.

*Based on the response from those within AEW, this wasn't something most, if anyone, in AEW knew was going to happen as the immediate reaction was that this had to be some sort of lie that was being passed around. This absolutely, in my opinion, was not something that was done on AEW's end to try and create interest for themselves.

*Even within WWE, the initial reaction that Punk had even visited was complete disbelief and with the exception of those who actually saw him, many thought it was a fake story. We actually had a WWE Exec call and ask if the site had been hacked after we broke the story that Punk was backstage.

*For those who asked if Punk was there to try and pull some sort of publicity stunt, we are told that wasn't the case. This wasn't some sort of explosive moment or anything that was filmed by someone, even with a cell phone, to try and grab footage to go viral.

*One person under contract to WWE who saw Punk there said it came off as if Punk was just trying to kill whatever past heat there was between himself and Miz and theorized that may have been why he wanted to speak with Levesque as well. As they said, "Isn't nine to ten years enough time of carrying whatever bad blood there is?"

*So, it just happened that Punk was at his home in Chicago on the same day Raw was within minutes of his home and, apparently, said the hell with it and went over to visit. From all we have spoken to, it just happened to be the timing that led to Punk going there on a whim​

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
so the timing lined up and he saw an opportunity to make amends. sounds positive to me

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Daddy Dom

Big D Energy
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Y2Jayne and Alexa

Daddy Dom

Big D Energy
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si

Daddy Dom

Big D Energy
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Like I said though personally to me and this may not be the case for anyone else and thats fine I have no desire to see Punk wrestle. I also think Punk shine that I had for him when I was a teenager wore off. I was a HUGE Punk fan. I mean I even become Straight Edge for my teenage years because of him but, now I feel like he's a different person hes bascially became everything he hated. (Sided very much on Hangman & Eddie promos) and I think he lost a step in the ring (sure you could say he was injured during page match and I get that but personally he wasn't wowing me.) That said I do think his mic work wasn't bad and yeah it was cool stories he told with Kingston & MJF. I also don't want him anywhere near a world title (he shouldn't and doesn't need it.)

That said I can see that his name carries name value and understand that.

I know saying this there's alot of very big Punk fans here who are definitely gonna dislike this but again this just my thoughts and shit.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Phil Brooks "made amends with Miz".....and didn't attack him, he didn't want that Miz smoke.

Necro

Hi, I'm Chucky. Wanna play?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
People visit backstage all the time in wrestling, Punk was away from the business for years. He's now back and who knows if he did see people at the airport maybe they said he should come visit some people and he did. After all that went down in AEW over the past several months maybe he's growing as a person and realizes life is short and it's not worth holding grudges. I don't know, I don't see it as some big fake out by Punk. He has more than enough money especially with his AEW contract, there's no reason for him to do that. He's getting paid one way or another by Tony.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
CM Punk returning to WWE would be one of the biggest things ever. Is this the first step toward that? Maybe but he could just be seeing the boys again as Phil.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
People visit backstage all the time in wrestling, Punk was away from the business for years. He's now back and who knows if he did see people at the airport maybe they said he should come visit some people and he did. After all that went down in AEW over the past several months maybe he's growing as a person and realizes life is short and it's not worth holding grudges. I don't know, I don't see it as some big fake out by Punk. He has more than enough money especially with his AEW contract, there's no reason for him to do that. He's getting paid one way or another by Tony.
Like you say, people do visit backstage all the time and if it was an Ambrose or Bryan for example then it would be a non-starter (for the most part) but just with the way everything ended with the WWE and Punk and all the drama currently surrounding him and his place in AEW, visiting now adds a suspicious element imo. Commendable him mending bridges though if he did so.

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Ricky Starks was backstage as Cody's guest. Doesn't mean Starks is going to WWE next week. Could Punk go back to WWE, sure. I would think he'd have to stop getting on his soap box at that point since what he has said in the past about HHH overall and then just to go back to it when he really doesn't have to. Starting to feel that anything Punk does and says here on out is him just keeping himself relevant. OR, it's just the dirt sheets trying to keep themselves relevant. OR both.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Necro

Hi, I'm Chucky. Wanna play?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Like you say, people do visit backstage all the time and if it was an Ambrose or Bryan for example then it would be a non-starter (for the most part) but just with the way everything ended with the WWE and Punk and all the drama currently surrounding him and his place in AEW, visiting now adds a suspicious element imo. Commendable him mending bridges though if he did so.

What is interesting is Tony has made it clear he's at war with WWE, and doesn't like them. So Punk doing this whether he likes it or not will certainly piss off Tony.