Ten years ago today...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
WCW died. For a company that's peak lasted short of two years, it produced many memories, fantastic innovations, matches and ignited the wrestling explosion of the late 90's. Or course there was far more bad than good, but the celebration of life is about the good times. To quote the funniest black man to ever live, "motherfucker might be gone, but we sure had big fun while he was here. No need to be sad".

Memories? Favorite moments? Favorite matches? And of course shit that left a bad taste in your mouth.

I loved, absolutely loved Sgt. Peppers, technicolor Sting, he was probably my favorite baby face of that time before HBK took off.

Vader. Holy fuck no heel ever struck fear or made me feel that he was actually brutalizing someone the way Vader did. That elephant mask was just awesome. Then Hogan came and ruined the guy in one match by no selling a power bomb and vader bomb.

The awesome tag action from 91-93, the NWA-WCW tag title unifcation and the awesomeness of Doc and Bam Bam Gordy, the Steiners, Dustin and Barry Windham, Steamer and Shane Douglas and the Hollywood Blonds. Just an incredible tag title lineage in that time, throw in Arn and Bobby Eaton, two of the greatest tag workers ever, and it was an incredibly solid lineage.

Ray Traylor (Bossman) shaving just half of John Tenta's (Earthquake) hair and beard. Awesome.

Jericho in 98, just incredible. Man of 1,001 holds. Ralphus. The Goldberg mini feud that got fucking ruined because of WCW's inane booking and inability to recognize and establish talent, which is a huge reason the company went belly up.

The Cruisers. This was easily the finest wrestling to ever happen in mainstream American wrestling. TNA's X division at it's best doesn't eat the Cruiser's cum and RoH's pseudo Jap style is just not in the argument. From Rey -Malenko to the Cruiserweight Tag titles, this was always a bright spot of WCW.

Of course the nWo. But as awesome as it was, it soured just as mightily.

The West Texas Rednecks. Was probably the only thing Curt Hennig did that was entertaining after 1994 and brought him to his only good match post WWF. I loved it. "There's only one thing that I hate because it's a bunch of crap. I, I, I hattteee rap."

The bad, well there was alot of bad. From Flair getting bitched by Hogan for over a year, to the over kill of Hulkamania where he and Savage beat 8 men in one match (Flair, Anderson, the Giant, Luger included) and the overkill of Hollywood, to the burial of fresh talent that was getting over on their own accord (see Jericho, Chris and Raven). Then there's the Russo Era. 5 Jeff Jarrett title reigns. That says enough. But as bad as WCW was, I'll still take any of it over any TNA offering from the past 6 years. RIP WCW, why can't TNA follow suit?

Montana

Reaction score
They were a great organization for many years, but I've always been a era WWE guy. Here's my favorite parts of WCW.

- Chris Jericho - I seriously only watched Nitro to see him. Like during the Monday Night Wars, he was only thing that would really make me switch from Raw to Nitro. It's too bad for WCW didn't see him in a main event role, but their company wasn't structured that way.

- 91-93 Era Like Enzo said above. Great mix of Sting, Vader, Flair, Ron Simmons, Japan talent, Arn Anderson, and WCW started putting on some big PPV matches. The ratings may not have indicated it, but i thought these were some of their best years.

- Hollywood Blonds.... Probably the most under rated tag team of all time. I used have them vs. Ric Flair and Arn Anderson for the tag belts at Clash of the Champions. Just two great talents.

- Halloween Havoc. - Fun PPV.

Clash of the Champions - I miss this concept.

Best of 7 Series - Chris Benoit vs. Booker T. For the first time in a while, WCW tried to highlight someone under 40, not named Goldberg.

I wasn't a big WCW, but it was WAY better than TNA today.

1chiban

Reaction score
I loved, absolutely loved Sgt. Peppers, technicolor Sting, he was probably my favorite baby face of that time before HBK took off.

Vader. Holy fuck no heel ever struck fear or made me feel that he was actually brutalizing someone the way Vader did. That elephant mask was just awesome. Then Hogan came and ruined the guy in one match by no selling a power bomb and vader bomb.

Of course the nWo. But as awesome as it was, it soured just as mightily.

The West Texas Rednecks. Was probably the only thing Curt Hennig did that was entertaining after 1994 and brought him to his only good match post WWF. I loved it. "There's only one thing that I hate because it's a bunch of crap. I, I, I hattteee rap."

These four in particular I agree with 100%.

Vader is probably going to go down as one of the most underrated heels in wrestling history.

And I was just thinking of the West Texas Redknecks the other day. Funny that. Enjoy:

[video=youtube;vBt_QbQ_sSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBt_QbQ_sSc[/video]

Reaction score
I'd also like to throw out some awesomeness:

Chavo and Pepe...probably the most entertaining shit Chavo ever did, and he was getting over, then Russo came and they stuck him in M.I.A. Lt. Loco...sigh. General Rection, Major Gunnz, Corporal Cajun. Terrible.

And of course Norman Smiley and the Big Wiggle. Big guilty pleasure.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
[yt]VgVNscmCXHk[/yt]

This match here. I remember this like it was yesterday. One of my favorite moments in not just WCW, but all of wrestling. I was jumping up and down during the mayhem Goldberg was creating when he speared and jackhammered The Flock and the crowds reaction during it and after he won was simply amazing. My god.