Summerslam PPV buy numbers

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
f4wonline.com said:
186,000 domestic (U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico)

112,000 international

by comparison….

2010: 350,000 Buys
2011: 296,000 Buys
2012: 358,000 Buys
2013: 298,000 Buys

60,000 buys less than last year. I'm sure WWE will be slightly disappointed in the numbers. But i'd assume they're already planning ahead towards next years Summerslam and trying to get the numbers back up, just like they did last year.

Reactions: 1 person

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Punk and Bryan losing viewers.

Need I say more.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Weird pattern going on over the past four years, every second year is almost identical. Had the same big names on this year's show compared to last, in Lesnar and Cena, but the build and match-ups weren't as good. Lesnar vs. HHH was must see at SummerSlam last year whereas Lesnar vs. Punk didn't have that same feel to it.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I didn't think Lesnar/Triple H was that important. I didn't bother with it anyways, and the feud was just a bore. Punk/Lesnar had more backing to it.

Of course people are going to blame Punk and Bryan, even though Cena and Lesnar were on the card as well, in the same matches, so I chose to blame Cena and Lesnar.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I didn't think Lesnar/Triple H was that important. I didn't bother with it anyways, and the feud was just a bore. Punk/Lesnar had more backing to it.

Of course people are going to blame Punk and Bryan, even though Cena and Lesnar were on the card as well, in the same matches, so I chose to blame Cena and Lesnar.

This is such an ignorant post. As much as I like Bryan and Punk, they were in higher profile matches this year and the numbers weren't as good as last year so obviously people didn't care about Punk/Lesnar as much as Trips/Lesnar nor Cena/Bryan compared to Punk/Cena/Show.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Uhhhhhh...........Derrrr.

Triple H/Lesnar may not have been important to you, but guess what? Drew more buyrates than Punk/Lesnar even if the feud was done better. Almost like someone said this in the Punk/Lesnar feud thread.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
The rest of you call it trolling, but deezy, SAIYANS, and Embrace thou Maryse are the only people who seem to 'get it'.

Bryan is a flop top guy, he really needs demoting into a Santino type role.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

Lesnar vs. HHH was a much bigger match. For the Punk feud the whole talk was how their styles didn't match at all and how to make it believable, there was never that doubt with Lesnar vs. HHH. Plus the story surrounding Lesnar/HHH was so much bigger, much more story behind it and it clearly captured the audience more. Lesnar was in a smaller feud here and it showed in the buyrate.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This is such an ignorant post. As much as I like Bryan and Punk, they were in higher profile matches this year and the numbers weren't as good as last year so obviously people didn't care about Punk/Lesnar as much as Trips/Lesnar nor Cena/Bryan compared to Punk/Cena/Show.

I see your point and agree (with a heavy heart) about Punk/Lesnar compared with HHH/Lesnar, but not Cena/Bryan compared with Punk/Cena/Show. How does adding the Big Show make it a bigger buyrate?

This is a fairly weak number, but things are progressing well in WWE and I am sure they will bource back.

Reaction score
How does adding the Big Show make it a bigger buyrate?

Show is possibly one of WWE's biggest attractions just because of what he is, plus he had already been feuding heavily with John Cena and CM Punk was during his heel run and people wanted to see him lose the belt (for some of us we really wanted to see the belt ousted).

There was in the making for that match, and Lesnar & Triple H had been teased for 3 months and it was Lesnar's second match back.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I see your point and agree (with a heavy heart) about Punk/Lesnar compared with HHH/Lesnar, but not Cena/Bryan compared with Punk/Cena/Show. How does adding the Big Show make it a bigger buyrate?

This is a fairly weak number, but things are progressing well in WWE and I am sure they will bource back.

The booking of Show/Punk/Cena was actually pretty great even though everyone here complained like a motherfucker about Show being included. It probably didn't generate much more than Cena/Bryan though, Lesnar/HHH got most of it. But also you could argue that Bryan and Punk were in much bigger matches this year (like anyone even cared about Punk/Cena/Show last year). People can't just "choose" to blame some guys when it obviously wasn't then and :lmao "I blame Cena for lower buyrates"

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

There's a reason you can book Show vs Mayweather, vs Akebono, vs Shaq and the like to get serious publicity. He is a fucking giant, legit freak of nature, and a credible monster at any time in comparison to guys like Bryan or Punk.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
There's a reason you can book Show vs Mayweather, vs Akebono, vs Shaq and the like to get serious publicity. He is a fucking giant, legit freak of nature, and a credible monster at any time in comparison to guys like Bryan or Punk.

Ehh, I'm not big on this argument really. You have the right idea that Show/big name celebrities will draw, but this was Show/Cena/Punk and it wasn't even the main match on the card so I feel like it didn't make all that much of a difference because it's not like him being in the match is going to generate any kind of interest compared to if it was him/Mayweather, Shaq, etc. I don't think Show helped how many buys 2012 got, but I also really doubt that triple threat as a whole really got any, it may have been a final selling point on some people that wanted to watch HHH/Lesnar but didn't want to spend the money unless the rest of the card was pretty good too.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Ehh, I'm not big on this argument really. You have the right idea that Show/big name celebrities will draw, but this was Show/Cena/Punk and it wasn't even the main match on the card so I feel like it didn't make all that much of a difference because it's not like him being in the match is going to generate any kind of interest compared to if it was him/Mayweather, Shaq, etc. I don't think Show helped how many buys 2012 got, but I also really doubt that triple threat as a whole really got any, it may have been a final selling point on some people that wanted to watch HHH/Lesnar but didn't want to spend the money unless the rest of the card was pretty good too.
I will label it as a good secondary main event that seals buying the ppv.

Punk/Brock and Cena/Bryan really don't stand out from one another, and not because of Cena or Brock. Yes Punk and Bryan worked great matches but they aren't special. Its the same thing with Orton as champ, its never worked because people don't buy into these guys. That's why Punks 400 day reign was essentially as a midcard act until he faced Rock with Cena in the main events of Raw and ppv to sell them.

SummerSlam would've did better numbers with Cena/Brock and Bryan/Punk in the secondary role because the fact is while the arena buzzes for Punk and Bryan, wallets only pop all the way open for Cena, Brock, Taker, Rock, Trips, and Dave in recent years.

Its like Mayweather's fight. People pay to watch Floyd, love him or hate him, same with Cena because they are an enigma. Mayweather vs Canelo sells better than Mayweather vs Garcia/Lucas despite it being known the latter two are technically (much like Bryan and Punk in a ring) better fighters than Canelo, but lack his it factor. No matter how much better guys like Bryan, Punk, and Dolph are in that ring than most it means jack to they touch that box office and keep them channels from flipping ... Which is why we will always have part timers and HHH talking 20 plus minutes

Last edited: