SummerSlam 2023 press conference notes

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
triple.webp

WWE stars, along with Chief Creative Officer Paul 'Triple H' Levesque, took questions following Saturday's WWE SummerSlam event. Here are the highlights:

Cody Rhodes
  • When asked about the moment he shared with Brock Lesnar after their match, he said that it hadn’t dawned on him what it means yet. He called it a bond by battle. He compared Lesnar a unicorn, saying that he was a once in a lifetime individual. Reminded him of how his dad looked at Harley Race, and he may have found his Harley Race in Lesnar.
  • When Bill Apter asked what his next plans were, Rhodes replied “everyone in the room knows what my plans are.” He said he needs to get back to where he was so he can finish the story.
  • Regarding what Dusty would have thought about the handshake between him and Lesnar, Rhodes said rather than think about what Dusty would have thought, he would rather think about the people that he has, naming his mother, his sister, his daughter, his wife Brandi, and also mentioned his brother Dustin.
  • He mentioned that he thinks he’s found his “final form” during this WWE run. He mentioned that former ROH head Joe Koff once told Rhodes that he was someone that can see “where the puck is going.”
IYO SKY (with Bayley and Dakota Kai)
  • When asked if she was back, Dakota Kai said that she was “a ways away” from being in-ring cleared, but wanted to be here for IYO SKY. She mentioned that she’s squatting heavily in her training.
LA Knight
  • When asked if tonight was a long time coming, Knight replied that in a weird way, this has been an amazingly fast climb. He said he always knew that he had something to give. Says he’ll strap the rocket to himself.
Paul Heyman
  • When asked “what inning are we in,” Heyman said that they are “at the bottom of the third” and the storyline hadn’t even hit its stride yet. He said that it was The Bloodline storyline that has caused WWE’s business boom.
Paul 'Triple H' Levesque
  • Triple H said that this year’s SummerSlam was the highest grossing SummerSlam in the history of WWE, as well as the highest grossing PLE outside of WrestleMania. He also said it was likely that this event will be the most-watched SummerSlam on Peacock.
  • He said that the Cody/Brock Lesnar handshake and hug after the match was not a planned part of the show.
  • When asked about how women are being pushed, Triple H said that it was the same as it has always been, saying that he puts about the same amount of thought in the men as the women. He said that when women main evented WrestleMania, it’s because it was the main event.
  • Triple H mentioned that there were rumors about "matches being cut" from SummerSlam. He said that nothing was cut, and that if you don't have more stuff than you need, you've failed. He said that sometimes there is too much stuff going on, and SummerSlam was already “plenty long” as is.
  • Brandon Thurston asked about Vince McMahon’s recovery from surgery and his current creative involvement. Triple H said he didn’t know McMahon’s recovery as he’s not a doctor.
  • Regarding McMahon's creative involvement, Triple H said McMahon’s vision changed the business and that there is no greater mind in the business. He said that if McMahon hadn’t come along, wrestling might have disappeared, bringing up Roller Derby from when he was a kid as a form of entertainment that is no longer around. He said that McMahon isn’t involved day to day regarding creative, and that he has earned that right.

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Triple H said he didn’t know McMahon’s recovery as he’s not a doctor.

That just comes off as let me not think bout the old man for 5 mins lol

The Gipper

The Gipper
Reaction score
What with the shot at poor Roller Derby? That’s still a thing, Trips, catch me on the courts and say that to my face lol.

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
  • Triple H mentioned that there were rumors about "matches being cut" from SummerSlam. He said that nothing was cut, and that if you don't have more stuff than you need, you've failed. He said that sometimes there is too much stuff going on, and SummerSlam was already “plenty long” as is.
Come on, Hunter... honestly, if you wanna tell me that Trish/Becky was never planned for the PPV, then that makes it not better. Quite the opposite, actually.

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
C'mon Heyman! I know you're a salesman but if this Bloodline storyline is in the "third inning" I'll take the mercy fucking rule and forfeit the game.