Summerslam 2000 > Summerslam 2002

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

RLStern

Refuter of Revisionist History
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Both shows had great cards, with the undercard of 2000 having more story and better matches(Chyna winning intercontinental title from Trish, Shane vs Blackman, Jericho vs Benoit)

While the main events of 2000 were superior storyline wise and in ring.

The first TLC match was a better and more classic match up than Michaels/HHH.

While Rock/Angle/HHH was a far superior story with the love trianglewhich was literally the 2nd biggest storyline of the year where Kurt Angle became literally the most popular wrestler after The Rock, surpassing Triple H as a heel as well)andfar better match in ring than Rock/Lesnar.

While Summerslam 2002 was an awesome Summerslam, 2000 surpassed in quality.

Even 2001 was better than 2002, you had two classics in Rock/Booker T & Kurt Angle/Stone Cold, with Hardy/RVD in undercard, which was far better than anything on the 2002 card.

For many Summerslam 2002 happened when they started watching during the Ruthless aggression era. Most who watched during the Attitude era and saw 2000 and 2001 generally prefer those years, with some anomalies who prefer 2002 for being more workrate focused.

Despite the workrate focus of the 2002 Summerslam, the work rate/in ring is far superior in match quality for the 2000 Summerslam. while the niche/IWC prefers 2002, most hold 2000 as the best Summerslam ever.

SummerSlam2000poster.jpg

SummerSlam_2002.jpg

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I'll throw you a SummerSlam 2001 is > than both.

Reactions: RLStern

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Even 2001 was better than 2002, you had two classics in Rock/Booker T & Kurt Angle/Stone Cold, with Hardy/RVD in undercard, which was far better than anything on the 2002 card.
I replied before I read the OP so this is a pleasant surprise. :WOW

Honestly, 2000-2002 is just a great era of SummerSlams.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I recently saw 2002, it’s been awhile since I seen 2000. I might rewatch it soon and get back to this thread and give my opinion on which I prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
I replied before I read the OP so this is a pleasant surprise. :WOW

Honestly, 2000-2002 is just a great era of SummerSlams.

I’d add 1998 and 1999 to that list. I know the IWC hates 99, but it had a huge build, Rock was the hottest wrestler around everywhere with his home video #1, we thought HHH or Chyna was getting the belt into the lead up, Mankind ended up winning a title at a big show, and return of Jesse the body Ventura.

1998-2002 Summerslam’s could do no wrong, I’d throw 1997 in there but the show didn’t have much hype other than the main event.

[/QUOTE]

IWC doesn’t like mentioning it because they

IWC pretends the invasion was this huge fail, WWF was still booming until the brand split, while the Invasion wasn’t really WWF vs WCW and as good as it should’ve been, it was still a good little faction war, gave us classics like the Shane/Angle KOTR, Invasion PPV, Kurt Angle as top guy in Rock’s absence, Rock’s return, Summerslam 2001, Jericho/Rock, Angle/Austin, Milk Truck, final Rock/Austin Attitude era feud, Survivor series 2001

Last edited:

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I was actually tempted to say 1999-2002, but I couldn't think of what the undercard was off the top of my head.

1999, though, is one of my favorite years for WWF programming. It just goes all in on the zany stories and characters.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
IWC pretends the invasion was this huge fail, WWF was still booming until the brand split, while the Invasion wasn’t really WWF vs WCW and as good as it should’ve been, it was still a good little faction war, gave us classics like the Invasion PPV, Kurt Angle as top guy in Rock’s absence, Rock’s return, Jericho/Rock, Angle/Austin, Milk Truck, final Rock/Austin Attitude era feud.
2001 in general is probably my favorite year for WWF period. Before the Invasion it was firing on all cylinders, too.

If you accept from the outset they weren't going ot have the top names from WCW, the Invasion was perfect from Invasion to SummerSlam.

That two month period is hands down the best programming WWF ever produced. I do think they muddied the waters a bit after Unforgiven.

The week to week shows were still fire for most of the summer and fall of 2001 and honestly I'd say the build from Survivor Series to Vengeance to crown the first undisputed Champion and the Ric Flair becoming the co-owner of the WWF was all goat television. I defy you to say otherwise.

That SummerSlam alone is just one great experience. Perfect for the Invasion and just great WWF in general. Top 5-10 PPV I think.

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
I was actually tempted to say 1999-2002, but I couldn't think of what the undercard was off the top of my head.

1999, though, is one of my favorite years for WWF programming. It just goes all in on the zany stories and characters.

1999 had that awesome Big Bossman vs Al Snow hardcore title match that went into the bar this is perhaps match of the night.

Jarret and D’Lo had a great match for the Eurocontintal title.

Test vs Shane McMahon in a love her or leave her street fight for Stephanie in another match of the night candidate

Rock vs Billy Gunn, which IWC revises as Rock being in midcard, when he always main event after SS 98 and this was one of the main events, people forget that they were pushing both Triple H and Billy Gunn as main eventers at the same exact time using Rock and then Austin, one succeeded and one failed, while Austin didn’t wanna put over anyone so Mankind did the favors.

Mankind/Triple H/Austin - Austin didn’t wanna put over Triple H, so seeing as Mankind was the 2nd most popular wrestler at the time after Rock, with Austin being 3rd in popularity, Mankind won the belt to send the crowd home happy, Mankind finally won title at a big ppv, and then dropped it to HHH next night on Raw.

It was one of the best Summerslams, not as good as the others, but defininely apart of the streak of great Summerslams from 1998-2002

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I've never heard anyone say Rock was stuck in midcard for '99 (though I don't doubt some do), just that it was Billy's main event trial that didn't end up working out. Which is what I agree with as well.

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
2001 in general is probably my favorite year for WWF period. Before the Invasion it was firing on all cylinders, too.

If you accept from the outset they weren't going ot have the top names from WCW, the Invasion was perfect from Invasion to SummerSlam.

That two month period is hands down the best programming WWF ever produced. I do think they muddied the waters a bit after Unforgiven.

The week to week shows were still fire for most of the summer and fall of 2001 and honestly I'd say the build from Survivor Series to Vengeance to crown the first undisputed Champion and the Ric Flair becoming the co-owner of the WWF was all goat television. I defy you to say otherwise.

That SummerSlam alone is just one great experience. Perfect for the Invasion and just great WWF in general. Top 5-10 PPV I think.

Everything was fine until 9/11 happened, then slowly things went back to normal by January 2002.

Until they completely killed the Attitude era with the brand split in April 2002.

There are many periods of the Attitude era that were the best, January - August 2000, January-April 1999, January-March 2001, January 2002-March 2002.

June-August 2001 is definitely top 3

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2

Loved 2001 for WWF, only months I wasn’t into it as much are April-May, post 9/11 other than Angle’s victoryuntil start of Survivor Series build.

The only year I loved top to bottom was 2000.

I’m going to make a thread on 2001 soon.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Loved 2001 for WWF, only months I wasn’t into it as much are April-May, post 9/11 other than Angle’s victoryuntil start of Survivor Series build.

The only year I loved top to bottom was 2000.

I’m going to make a thread on 2001 soon.
I loved April. The first month Austin and Triple H were dominating the show. :banderas:

May was a bit hit or miss, but picks up again in June.