Summerslam 1991 - Match made in Heaven, Match made in Hell

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
For this show Roddy "Two's company, three's a crowd" Piper joins the dream team of Monsoon and the Brain behind the broadcast booth.

The Dragon, Texas Tornado & The British Bulldog VS. The Warlord & Power & Glory
I believe that sometimes a Pay Per View opening match should not be too good, while not being bad either, but just somewhere in the middle and something which is decent enough to warm the crowd up, while not getting them too excited so that they don't peak too early. If you look at this standard six man match on that basis then it kind of serves its purpose. The Dragon is very much the VIP of the match, the highlight being his classic armdrag catching Roma off the ropes, then his arm bar/wrist lock work, before taking one hell of a beating from the power men in the match. The pop for The Bulldog is quite something too and his power VS. power match up with the Warlord works better as part of a six man than in a drawn out singles match. There are some clumsy and mistimed moments including leading into the closing sequence but overall quite a functional start to the evening.

**1/2

Intercontinental Championship
Bret Hart VS. Mr Perfect (c)
The WWF sure know how to roll out the red carpet on the night of a big title change which is going to lead a new star being made. The Perfect match and story is kicked off with a simple but effective heel from Perfect setting the table for the match. As the Hitman makes his enterance we see Helen and Stu Hart cheering their son on in the crowd. The match starts with a feeling out process before Hart catches Perfect in a crucifix off the ropes for a two count. Bret then focuses on a headlock using a bit of Perfect's hair for leverage, cross body off the ropes but Perfect powers out, a sunset flip from the outside in scores a two for the challenger. Bret then teases the sharpshooter for the first time, but instead gives a slightly low blow, this showing that he can be aggressive just like the champion, then they both take each other down following a irish whip, but both kick the other away. From here the match carefully builds, as the Hitman shows his nerves, and the Champ cooly retreats to the outside where he appears to be taking the count out before Bret grabs him and slings him back inside by the tights. Perfect uses the ref as a shield and gets a cheap shot in the corner. A pair of stiff kicks to gut are followed by a reverse chop outside, Perfect then rolls back in to break the count and argues with the ref before shoving Hart off the apron and onto a photographer. A school boy out off the corner gets Hart a two, but Perfect stays on top with a hard irish whip into a corner for a two count of his own (notice a basic move like that can look painful and get a two count, less is more people!), the champion gets a nearer fall after a rolling snap there neck breaker and a cradle. Hart then takes a beautiful Perfect drop kick which knocks him to the floor. The pair exchange blows up top, Perfect gets the upper hand landing on Hart for two "Lets Go Bret" chants starts up. A Perfect sleeper catches Hart off the ropes, Hart fights his way, but an attempted crucifix is blocked by Perfect dropping his weight down on Hart for a dramatic two count. Bret takes another hard irish whip this time front ways in the corner, just escaping a cover. We then get the big moment of the match as Perfect hooks the Perfectplex and it must be over, ONE!, TWO! and THR... WAIT HART KICKS OUT WTF!!! I think Hogan might have kicked out once before but doubt anyone remembers that right? The champ is wild, he takes two atomic drops and whipped into the ring post with his leg taking most of the force. Hart then goes a roll with a snap suplex for two before Perfect almost steals a win with a small package, but Hart returns fire with a side Russian leg sweep and the elbow off the top for a very close count, as Hart argues with the ref Perfect catches him with a roll up for another hot near fall, the fight goes to the floor and Perfect goes into the ring post. Back inside Bret returns to the leg and goes for the sharpshooter but is distracted by Coach and Perfect regains the edge with a cheap shot. As the champ drops the leg, the Hitman catches his ankle and turns it into a figure four leg lock before rolling him over into the sharpshooter for the submission and the emotional title win. Two great artists in a match full of great storytelling, emotional, and great wrestling back a fourth, plus a hot crowd.

The Natural Disasters VS. The Bushwackers
This was around the time that tag wrestling in WWF was starting to decline, and this match paints a perfect picture of that. Total dud, and all Andre can do is give a Brando like smile lol. Post-match the The Disasters/LOD feud is set up.

We then get an amusing locker room segment with Heenan challenging Hogan to match with the "Real Worlds Champion" Ric Flair and getting the door slammed in his face.

Million Dollar Championship
(c) Million Dollar Man VS. Virgil
This was a strange match, with get the quick fast pace start from Virgil, before his ex-employer turns the table and slows down the pace, out of the no where Virgil captures Dibiase in his own hold the Million Dollar Dream (version of the sleeper) and looks like he might be on his way to winning the gold before Dibiase's manager Sherri nails the former bodyguard with a loaded purse to cause what looks like a DQ, however the official restarts the match orders Sherri to leave ringside. From the restart they go toe to toe before Virgil is sent into the ref and then takes a series of snap suplexes and a piledriver which puts the champion very much in the drivers seat, as the ref slowly comes around, Dibiase exposes the steel turnbuckle and attempts to run Virgil into it, but instead its countered and Dibiase takes a couple of shots to the steel, knocking him out cold and allowing Virgil to get the cover and score the upset win. A bit of a start stop affair, I think Dibiase carried the green Virgil quite well, and the story of the match and feud was solid and that is what made the match more than what happened in the ring itself.

Jailhouse Match
The Mountie VS. The Big Boss Man
Another match with pride on the line, and another match where the action was watchable if not outstanding. These two had decent chemistry and there were some good near falls, but the match could have been a few minutes longer, and the crowd didn't really get into it that much. The finish was a little bit of an anti-climax too. The real highlights came with the comedy segments of the Mountie at the local slammer, now they were pure gold, "You want the finger, Here's the finger!":lmao

WWF Tag Team Championship Street Fight
Legion of Doom VS. The Nasty Boys (c)
This match gets a bit harshly overlooked for me, yes for a street fight it seems a bit tame, and yes it may have been rushed, but I think they pack a lot of excitement into a short match and I like how they hardly tag throughout the match and keep breaking up each others pins attempts, Such as when Animal power bombs Knobs early on and Sags makes the save. Hawk then hits a flying shoulder block, before being double teamed and outside he is struck with an icebox. More dirty tactics as he is choked with a tag rope, and is sent head first into the steps before Knobs nails a double axehandle off the apron too the floor. An elbow drop off the top by Segs but the count is saved by Animal. Hawk then gets the foot up on a middle rope dive and tags in the fresh Animal, who clotheslines both men and gets a two count from a power slam. Then Jimmy Hart's Hemet is used on Animal, but he is able to power out of Knob's pin attempt, Hawk turns the tables by grabbing the hemet and nailing both Nasty Boy's setting up the Doomsday device for the title change, bringing to the end for me what was a fun brawl.

I.R.S. VS. Greg "The Hammer" Valentine
Bit of the nothing filler match, don't mind either, quite liked Irwin's heel taxman, but the match did little for me.

Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior VS. Sgt Slaughter, Col. Mustafa and Gen. Adnan
On the night where we saw the best of wrestling in one match, we saw the very worse in the main event. Just a truly dire, boring match and a predictable end to one of the dumbest, most mis-guided feuds in history. Near the end Warrior chases Slaughter's goons to the back and disappears from the WWF in the process, while Hogan gets a new posing buddy in Sid Justice.

Then the match made in Heaven which is of course the in ring wedding Macho Man and the lovely Elizabeth (who of course had been his real wife for years), the highlight of which turns out to be the reception where super heels, The Undertaker and Jake Roberts gate crash and it seems Liz can barely stop from laughing as Roberts holds the Snake in her face!

Best Match: Bret Hart VS. Mr Perfect

Worse Match: Hogan and Warrior VS. Slaughter, Mustafa and Adnan

Verdict: Its one of those events where if you take away the main event people would likely remember it more fondly. For me the mix of comedy, brawling, great wrestling (in the case of one match at least), good storytelling and cheese make for a pretty entertaining three hours.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Liz laughing at Jake was pretty noticeable, no wonder he smacked her later on in the feud, there was a reason why WWF didn't give her much mic time. Easy on the eyes, but rather seen, not heard.

I dont care what anyone says, The Bushwackers were awesome, sure they weren't The Rock and Roll express or Hart Foundation, but they dind't need to be. What from that era never did the Bushwacker walk?

Bret/Perfect was the only reason this card was memorable, everything else was pretty typical WWF walk n talk style, and Roddy was an annoying announcer, he was a 14 when he should've been a 5. Can't stand when announcers would just scream throughout most of the match, save that for the climax.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Liz laughing at Jake was pretty noticeable, no wonder he smacked her later on in the feud, there was a reason why WWF didn't give her much mic time. Easy on the eyes, but rather seen, not heard.

I dont care what anyone says, The Bushwackers were awesome, sure they weren't The Rock and Roll express or Hart Foundation, but they dind't need to be. What from that era never did the Bushwacker walk?

Bret/Perfect was the only reason this card was memorable, everything else was pretty typical WWF walk n talk style, and Roddy was an annoying announcer, he was a 14 when he should've been a 5. Can't stand when announcers would just scream throughout most of the match, save that for the climax.

No augments from me on the Piper remarks, he got totally over bearing during the Million Dollar man match.

Just can't see a case for the Bushwackers, they just had so many horrible matches and the gimmick itself was so lame. I guess as I kid I might have liked them, but they do have very limited appeal outside of that age group.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Can't go wrong with that Bret/Perfect match and considering the shape Perfect back was in, for him to pull of and be in a match like that is AMAZING!

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
I was 9 years old and hosted a SummerSlam party in my basement. My classmates all brought like $3 or food and drinks and it was one of my best childhood memories. I remember my whole basement ERUPTING when Bossman pinned the Mountie and they took him downtown, lol.

Technical wrestling aside, it was greatness. Hart vs Perfect is still one of the greatest displays of wrestling ever.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I was 9 years old and hosted a SummerSlam party in my basement. My classmates all brought like $3 or food and drinks and it was one of my best childhood memories. I remember my whole basement ERUPTING when Bossman pinned the Mountie and they took him downtown, lol.Technical wrestling aside, it was greatness. Hart vs Perfect is still one of the greatest displays of wrestling ever.

And I like that it was a match with something on it and that they actually went through with it and fans at the time believed that the Mountie was really spending the night in the slammer, makes so much difference. That is why IMO the feuds back then were much better.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Feuds were not better, they were just more over, like you said kayfabe crowds actually believed that Mountie was going to jail, Can't have that today.

I miss kayfabe. So much more enjoyable to watch and discuss it with people who just ate it, instead of picking at it until it got cold.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
I miss kayfabe. So much more enjoyable to watch and discuss it with people who just ate it, instead of picking at it until it got cold.

You said it man. Wrestlers being on the "work" all the time made so much more sense. I made a thread a while back about how Kayfabe being dead is absolutely killing heel heat.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Feuds were not better, they were just more over, like you said kayfabe crowds actually believed that Mountie was going to jail, Can't have that today.

But in many ways more over equals better, the art of wrestling is connecting with the fans and if something is over that means it is doing it right. I understand the point about Kayfabe, but if you still have the basics of the game (conflict, interesting characters,etc.) then a feud will still get over today, it just needs a little updating.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
But in many ways more over equals better, the art of wrestling is connecting with the fans and if something is over that means it is doing it right. I understand the point about Kayfabe, but if you still have the basics of the game (conflict, interesting characters,etc.) then a feud will still get over today, it just needs a little updating.

Kayfabe moved to MMA and went back to boxing, believability is still the main drive.

And as for updating, I don't thnk working anyone involves updates, the basics still work, just need to keep harping on it tbh, JBL and Bully Ray are probably the last guys to use their supposed bully reputation, take that and build themselves into legit heels because of it. JBL had to act like an asshoole 24/7, and if you ever met him, would find out that he is a pretty good dude.