Summerslam 1989 - Feel the Heat!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
So Tony Schiavone on a one year loan from WCW takes lead announce duties here along side The Body.

The Brain Busters VS. The Hart Foundation
The Busters went into this event as tag team champions having beaten Demolition but decided not to put the belts on the line here. This is a very good technical match, with a very strong pace to it and some really hard hitting action also, the crowd were really into it too. In the end the Busters out smart the Harts for a big PPV win.

***1/2

Dusty Rhodes VS. The Honky Tonk Man
This is a pretty enjoyable comedy bout, both men work the crowd well, and Honky sells big time. Its nothing great but is kind of watchable for what it is. Honky being interviewed while on dream street post-match is really funny!

**1/2

Mr Perfect VS. The Red Rooster
This might have been a few minutes longer, but I guess it was a good way to showcase the Perfect streak against a guy whose career could not be any lower at this point. The standing drop kick is my highlight of a brief match.

**1/2

Tito Santana & The Rockers VS. Rick Martel & Fabulous Rougeaus
The entertaining match, a classic grudge match, with Martel heeling it up big time against Santana, lots of nice double team action and hot near falls, plus great crowd heat near the end, It was hard to predict who might come out on top, but the class of the French Canadian's told in the end.

Intercontinental Championship
Ravishing Rick Rude (c) VS. The Ultimate Warrior
One of the highlights of the Warrior's career and one of Rude's greatest ever performances. There was a cool video package telling us the story of the feud before hand (you know like you just don't get anymore). And this was a stunning back and fourth action packed fest with one of the best ref bumps in history and dramatic near falls, it went back fourth in convicing fashions. I remember getting this event on Video one Christmas was watchinhg this match just before we had dinner and was totally gripped. The twist of Piper's return to cost Rude the match added added to the drama too, it was a great way to end one feud and start another in one smooth move. Rude was at the top of his game on this night, and maybe it never got better for the Warrior.

Some cool back stage interviews to cool fans off at the half way mark.

Demolition & King Duggan VS. The Twin Towers & Andre the Giant
This was a very rushed match with some pretty sloppy big man action. The king gimmick didn't sort Duggan. It is remembered mostly for the outside involvement and the novity factor of Demolition as faces.

Hercules VS. Greg "the Hammer" Valentine
Ronny Garvin's anti Hammer introduction was funny, the rest was quite bland. Just a filler bout but not as good as some of the others which had gone before it.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka VS. The Million Dollar Man
This is another one which could have been longer, but they did quite well with the amount of time they were given. Solid action thoughout with a bit of a weak finish. I am guessing they wanted to keep Snuka strong, at this point Dibiase seem to be sliding down the card.

Hulk Hogan & Brutus Beefcake VS. The Macho Man & "The Human Wracking Machine" Zeus
Hit and miss main event, it was better than many had any right to expect. The story of the match was quite well told, but it was also dragged out at times and it was clear in places that Savage was the only really talent in the ring. Still the faces got their big moment and Zeus was protected to face Hogan another day. Job done in a way.

**1/2

Best Match of the Night: Rick Rude VS. The Ultimate Warrior

Worse Match of the Night: Hercules VS. Greg Valentine

Verdict: A mix of good, bad and indifferent, but it was pretty enjoyable three hours overall and the matches which were good were very good. The crowd were awesome too.

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
OMGZ Zeus! he was the drizzling shits, made Khali look like Lou Thesz with his offense that consisted of chokes, forearm smashes. Deebo wasn't a good wrestler, found a better calling in acting.

Isn't this the card where Mean Gene says "Fuck it!" on live PPV?

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
[video=dailymotion;x3eile]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3eile_mean-gene-okerlund-fuck-it_fun[/video]

good times.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
OMGZ Zeus! he was the drizzling shits, made Khali look like Lou Thesz with his offense that consisted of chokes, forearm smashes. Deebo wasn't a good wrestler, found a better calling in acting.

Isn't this the card where Mean Gene says "Fuck it!" on live PPV?

Not sure, when was he supposed to have said it during an interview?

Oh yeah Zeus was terrible, but he doesn't have much to do in the match so could have been worse.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Not sure, when was he supposed to have said it during an interview?

In case you didn't look it up online, it's when Gene is doing an interview and a piece of the set falls behind them and Gene puts his hads up and says "Fuck it!" as he walks out of frame leaving Schiavone and Jesse speechless for a few seconds, which on TV is a lifetime.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I posted the vid or did you not see it?

I'm on a phone bro, can't see shit other than a sign telling me to upgrade adobe, which I can't because I'm on something completely different......stupid netz.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I posted the vid or did you not see it?

Yeah just watch the Vid and I loved it! Jesse's reaction was excellent also!

Only ever seen this on Video which is why I would not have seen that before.