Strikeforce Fight Card: Alistair Overeem Talks Werdum, K-1 and UFC

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
original_large.jpg
Strikeforce and K-1 heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem hasn't lost in MMA since 2007. He's 9-0 with 1 no-contest in the last four years and he's also gone 8-2 as a kickboxer in that time period. Tomorrow he'll face Fabricio Werdum in the opening round of the Strikeforce heavyweight tournament.

Overeem spoke to SBNation's Thomas Myers about a number of topics, including his next opponent.

Thomas Myers, SBNation.com: Do you think your ground game is underrated? And do you think it is improved enough that you wouldn't have as many problems with Werdum if he gets the fight to the ground?

Alistair Overeem: Werdum obviously is better on the ground. With his experience in Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ), that's his specialty. I would even go as far as to say that he is the best and most skilled BJJ athlete at the moment. Looking at myself, we're in training now wrestling and grappling for the last 16 years. Is it underrated? I know my ground is up to date and it's good enough to withstand Werdum, but is the better grappler? Yes, I would say he's the better grappler.

K-1 and the UFC:

Thomas Myers, SBNation.com: Is that possible, all things considered, now that Zuffa has control of Strikeforce. Would you give up K-1 if it meant a UFC deal or not? It's well documented that UFC President Dana White does not like to share his fighters.

Alistair Overeem: Well, I am K-1 champion and I do have a belt to defend in that field. I do like K-1. At first it was just a challenge to beat a champion and when I beat one of the top guys, I wanted to become the champion myself because nobody ever did that before, holding a major MMA title and a K-1 title, but we'll have to wait and see. It's a negotiation that has not begun yet. Under my current Strikeforce contract I am allowed to fight in different organizations, so we'll have to just wait and see what the negotiations bring us. I'm a fighter who likes to be active. I fight a lot. We'll have to wait and see.

Read the whole thing, Tom gets Overeem to open up about a number of unusual topics including video games, his relationships with his brother Valentijn and his father, his party style and more.

SBN coverage of Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum