Strikeforce Fedor vs Henderson: Miesha Tate says "I'm Going to Try to Kill Her"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
GYI0061303177.jpg
This Saturday at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson sees Women's Bantamweight champion Marloes Coenen defend her title against challenger Miesha Tate. All eyes have been on the main event with little in the way of promotion from Strikeforce or coverage by the media for the co-main event other than the importance of impressing and winning over the casual audience, but also one of WMMA's highest profile and directly important critics Dana White.

Miesha Tate at least appears to be talking the talk in garnering interest in the form of this excellently produced video by Shoot Media that gives us some more background on Tate and a good introduction to anyone not familiar with her. Interestingly it looks like they've been filming her for some time as they show footage of her injuring her knee back in February (Tate was meant to take on Coenen in March and was replaced by Liz Carmouche)

Perhaps the most eyebrow raising part of this feature is the dramatic language Tate uses when talking about her opponent Coenen at around the 4:40 mark. To wit

"... I'm going to try to kill her, I really am. I'm going to try to get to the point where the referee is fearful of her life and stops the fight, that's my goal."

Tate's clearly showing she's confident and focused and incendiary comments like this can either be seen as promotional gold dust by some or simply thuggish by others.

The video as a whole works on several levels as it shows she trains seriously and takes MMA seriously which should appease the hardcore MMA fans, while it also makes no bones about Tate being an attractive woman and using her looks to garner attention from the casual fans. It may not be the most ideal way to represent yourself as a professional athlete but as it stands it's the most commercially viable.