Strikeforce Fedor vs. Henderson: Dan Henderson Wants an In-Shape Fedor Emelianenko

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
20110306111843_IMG_3866_JPG_large.jpg
On Saturday night, Dan Henderson will try to further his legacy by perpetuating the decline of former Pride heavyweight champ Fedor Emelianenko. Henderson, fighting at heavyweight for the first time since losing to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in 2002, enters as a 2-1 underdog. He spoke with ESPN UK about the fight:

"Obviously Fedor is real dangerous whether he's in shape or out of shape - I've seen him where he's really out of shape and he still knocks guys out or pulls through and win the fights," Henderson told ESPN.

"As far as his two losses, it might diminish it a little bit, but it probably re-motivated him to where he's going to come in in shape and that's the Fedor I want to fight."
"He's going to be a little more mobile bouncing around and a little more offensive that first round," Henderson said when asked about a quick start. "I just need to implement my gameplan and wear him out at the same time, especially in that first round ... that first round is going to be crucial."

I can't recall a fight that Fedor looked out of shape. Or at least out of shape in the sense that it affected his performance. He's never been a guy with a chiseled physique, though I think it's fair to say he's looked softer in recent years.

I'm interested to see how Henderson approaches this fight in the cage. I think he's best served by a Randy Couture, clinch-and-dirty-box gameplan in an attempt to neutralize Emelianenko's speed and power at distance.

SBN coverage of Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson