Strikeforce CEO Picks Melendez Over Edgar In Hypothetical Champ vs. Champ Match

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
“I believe he is the No. 1 lightweight in the world. Believe me, those other guys, I take nothing away from them. Listen, styles make fights, and I’m really looking at Frankie Edgar and Gilbert, that match-up as to who would win that fight and how that fight would look. Ben Henderson, Cowboy Cerrone, all those guys are extremely talented, but like I said styles make fights. I think Gilbert and Frankie would be a great fight, but I think Gilbert would come out on top.â€￾

In this clip from an unaired edition of mmaweekly radio, Strikeforce boss, Scott Coker talks about the hypothetical champion vs. champion bout between UFC division king, Frankie Edgar and his Strikeforce counterpart, Gilbert Melendez.

It is common to place the UFC champion in each division as the number one ranked fighter in their respective weight class; However Gilbert Melendez has made a case over the years to be the exception to that rule.

Still, he has yet to face ranked opponents in his time under the Strikeforce banner and while many believe he is the best, there will always be an asterisk next to his name until he makes the jump to the UFC and proves it.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I am sure that if you asked White who would win this fight he would say Edgar. Simply picking the company fighter in a hypothetical match. Would be an interesting fight but it all depends on if Edgar can retain his title against Henderson.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Well, i don't think he retains the title and Gilbert Melendez said in another interview that i posted that he deserves a title shot more than Henderson so if Henderson does actually beat Edgar for the title at UFC 144 then i think the talks of bringing in Gilbert will heat up, and they'll push for a Melendez/Henderson fight.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I'll never write off Edgar again, I did it in the first BJ fight, the second one, and then both Maynard fights.

The guys a warrior.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Haha I did the exact same thing. Especially with the last Maynard fight, I didn't give him a chance at winning the fight yet once again he hung in there and won the fight. He does have a few weaknesses but he is a tough nut and has shown that he is really tough to finish.